Thailand runs short of eggs

webfact

9 hours ago, sup3r1or said:

My wife just showed me an article yesterday that even after the so called ban on export of local eggs. They found millions of them still being exported to Singapore. Just like with the masks. 

All organised by people in high places; they never miss a chance to rip off their own people.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 2:56 PM, marcusb said:

could be they are getting bought up quickly as they are an excellent food to stock up on if you have no fridge or a small one. 

How long are eggs edible for? Especially left out at room temperature? I've always assumed a few days and then they go off. 

3 hours ago, djayz said:

How long are eggs edible for? Especially left out at room temperature? I've always assumed a few days and then they go off. 

1 - 3 weeks dependant on where they are from, be a great new topic - egg paranoia, seems its something else we should be scared off! ???? 

We're about half way through the 120 we bought last Monday. I assumed this nonsense would last about a week before supply caught up with the morons stockpiling more than they need. I mean, there are only about 20 million households in Thailand. Many of them are empty now. Even if every household bought an average of 30 eggs, that would only be 600 million eggs. Thai production is on the order of 40 million per day. About half of that amount should have been replenished already, and I would expect to start seeing them back on the shelves in some places by now.

Looks like we should have bought a bunch more when we had the chance. 2 weeks worth wasn't enough time to outlast the hording idiots.

9 hours ago, djayz said:

If they've not been washed they're good for several weeks even at room temperature.

Remember a chook will lay one a day until she has maybe 15 before finally brooding them. If they can hatch into chicks they are surely edible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If they've not been washed they're good for several weeks even at room temperature.

Remember a chook will lay one a day until she has maybe 15 before finally brooding them. If they can hatch into chicks they are surely edible.

What difference does washing them make?

5 minutes ago, faraday said:

What difference does washing them make?

It destroys the membrane on the outside of the egg which normally prevents access by bacteria and the like.

That's why eggs in the US, which must be washed by law, have to be refrigerated or they go off very quickly. Meanwhile eggs in Europe, which must NOT be washed, will keep un-refrigerated for a long time (and will still make baby chooks).

Eggs in Thailand are not washed.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It destroys the membrane on the outside of the egg which normally prevents access by bacteria and the like.

That's why eggs in the US, which must be washed by law, have to be refrigerated or they go off very quickly. Meanwhile eggs in Europe, which must NOT be washed, will keep un-refrigerated for a long time (and will still make baby chooks).

Eggs in Thailand are not washed.

Wipe the egg with cooking oil when you buy them and they last a long time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'd not heard that one, once oiled do you keep them in the fridge or on the counter?

In reality eggs in our place get consumed very quickly, often within hours (even minutes) of the girls doing their duty.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I fridge my eggs cuz Im a Yank and thats what we do.

Would that benefit me?

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I fridge my eggs cuz Im a Yank and thats what we do.

Would that benefit me?

Only if your eggs go bad, or you need to store eggs a long time.

If you buy and use in a week, probably not worthwhile.

I used to keep chickens in the UK, 4 birds produced a lot of eggs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Only if your eggs go bad, or you need to store eggs a long time.

If you buy and use in a week, probably not worthwhile.

I used to keep chickens in the UK, 4 birds produced a lot of eggs.

I usually run though a dozen in 3 weeks...thats why I chose to keep refriging.

I didnt know you were a chicken farmer dude, so why are the yolks in the US an insipid yellow, while the ones here (same as in Thailand) a deep bright orange?

Am I being over cautious by washing my hands after handling them like my Granny tauught me?

Why do these Asian eggs seem not to mix as well as western eggs. Is it a protein percentage thing or genetic albumin variation?

I saw a chicken a few days ago just ripping into a Tokay. Nasty birds!

17 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I didnt know you were a chicken farmer dude, so why are the yolks in the US an insipid yellow, while the ones here (same as in Thailand) a deep bright orange?

They were just family pets, chickens are very friendly, make good pets for children, and you get a return.

Couldn't sit in the garden without being surrounded and them trying to sit on my lap.

I've always equated yolk colour with the food they eat.

Fresh greens = orange.

Pellets only = pale. 

Had 2 ducks for a while in Chiang Mai, also good pets  with plenty of eggs, but the poop was more of a problem and they always wanted to poop on the doorstep.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 3:22 PM, GordyS said:

Whenever there is a topic about eggs, everybody uses the tried and tested puns.

Doesn't happen for anything else, strange really

Eggsactly - an eggscrutiating eggshibit of eggshausting puns. One egg pun is un oeuf for anyone.