Chonburi 7-Eleven and other convenience stores ordered to close between 10pm-5am

Jonathan Fairfield

Chonburi 7-Eleven and other convenience stores ordered to close between 10pm-5am

800_a865e239ae88a52d30b23f361f4e6352.jpeg

Image: Nation

Convenience stores in Chonburi have been ordered to close between 10pm to 5am daily, the provincial governor announced on Friday.

The move, which includes stores such as 7-Eleven and Family Mart, is the latest measure introduced in the province to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.

The closure order comes into effect on Friday 27 March. 

Meanwhile, officials have also announced that beaches in Pattaya and Chonburi are out of bounds to the public between 8pm and 6am.

91298741_3003994829679905_4690858569388523520_n.jpg

Source: 77Koaded

More to follow…

This post may be updated. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-27

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rasmus5150 said:

Close 7/11 at certain times??..??..??..

That's incredibly stupid to limit opening hours for shops where u can buy groceries (snacks etc.).

Because that means that people will be forced to shop at the same times.

And that means that the virus could spread because people are shopping at the same time.

If anything, they should make some kind of opening hours for people over 70 years of age, so they don't come into contact with the rest of the population.

But maybe it won't work here in Asia, since people stay together many generations, and the elderly don't go shopping anyway - they stay home and watch their grand kids.

I agree.  The shopping hours should be extended, where possible, to not condense the shopping public into a shorter time slot.

The extended family model certainly doesn't help things.  

Even if grandmother and grandfather stay home, the kids and grand kids can bring it home to them. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, rasmus5150 said:

That's incredibly stupid to limit opening hours for shops where u can buy groceries (snacks etc.).

And that means that the virus could spread because people are shopping at the same time.

If anything, they should make some kind of opening hours for people over 70 years of age, so they don't come into contact with the rest of the population.

But maybe it won't work here in Asia, since people stay together many generations, and the elderly don't go shopping anyway - they stay home and watch their grand kids.

ehhh, maybe show your ID to enter a 7/11 if they think you're over 70?  Special hours that 70+yr olds can shop (sort of like the alcohol rules)? Segregate the aged people?

You don't happen to work for or ever have worked for a government anywhere...?

1 hour ago, johng said:

Mostly they would send the kids often on a motorbike to get the shopping...the motorbike is more dangerous than the virus for the kids.

That's not the half of it now.

Sorry if this appears alarmist, but reading the article below it seems the virus can survive on plastic and stainless steel for up to 72 hours.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973?query=featured_home

As our motorbike has plastic handgrips on the handlebars and three of us use the motorbike, it's a possible device to pass on the virus.

For all we know, someone else could have coughed/spat on the handgrips while it was parked outside a shop.

2 minutes ago, johng said:
6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

it seems the virus can survive on plastic and stainless steel for up to 72 hours.

Yes but what about the intense UV and tropical heat..didn't someone say that would kill it and so save Thailand  in time for Songkran ???

Ah yes.

Obviously need to park the motorbike inside one of the many empty GoGo bars, to make use of their UV lighting, as long as the aircon isn't running.

Looks like Songkran's back on!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

From what i can see, the robber going through the cash tills doesn't appear to be wearing any plastic gloves. Fingerprints?

You're confusing the check-out guy that was sitting outside having a crafty fag with the robber.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You're confusing the check-out guy that was sitting outside having a crafty fag with the robber.

Am I? So there weren't two robbers then?

Why would the cashier be outside, let alone having a fag with the robber?

9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Am I? So there weren't two robbers then?

Why would the cashier be outside, let alone having a fag with the robber?

Ahhhhh, because he is his friend, and it was a staged robbery, and they will split the proceeds. 

In other words, an inside job. 

Look how casual the female staff is.  

Edited by Leaver

5 hours ago, rasmus5150 said:

Yes, "incredibly stupid" doesn't describe it adequately. How does it help control the spread of the virus? I shop at 711 after midnight to avoid bumping into too many people.

Yet, despite the state of emergency, 40 plus workers were on the construction site next door today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

If you have 24 hours available, why not stay open and spread the shoppers over 24 hours, less hours open means more people when it is open. Can you imagine the rush and crowds at 9:30, just before it closes.

No I cant because I would have already had 16.5 more hours by then anyway. People are so ungrateful its taken for granted its open 24 hours a day but nobody in reality needs that. (no they dont)

• Like 1

Wish to point out that "7-11" name came from the hours they were open, originally (or that is my recollection from when they first popped up). Food stores typically opened later and shut earlier. They aren't called "convenience stores" for nothing

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Wish to point out that "7-11" name came from the hours they were open, originally (or that is my recollection from when they first popped up). Food stores typically opened later and shut earlier. They aren't called "convenience stores" for nothing

I think it is a good idea. A few 7-11s I know have become a focal point and all manner of food sellers and businesses have taken over the area in front of the shop, and it is often quite a melee. Maybe when the 7-11 turns it's lights out this congregation will disperse. 

• Like 1