Infections will skyrocket without social distancing, says official

webfact

33 minutes ago, connda said:

In the meanwhile foreigners are required to pack together like livestock on a feed-lot at Thai Immigration where social distancing does not apply.  

90622955_10159543076383012_4597749017055592448_o.jpg.e98ff6e4df10639effca4f089c0cf2d1.jpg.367ccf07065e21cd3f7472b45e96a8f3.jpg90630985_10159543076378012_220349156772806656_o.jpg.2b6b3e3a4bbfd82c57f08ac40eca38f8.jpg.76ac39bd04a4c3997902d6e905cd6741.jpg

If tourists would act like this on a beach what would be there fine amounts ?

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

Are you just stating they're needed? I'm not aware of anything especially draconian going down at the moment.

The longer you wait, the harder you must crack down and the less effect it will have. Thailand is screwing it up and has from the get-go.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

1*FWQqOoCl7MUIfoI0f7tkbw.png

New information is flowing in at an astonishing speed every day. I doubt any of the Thai politicians can access it as it's mostly in English. They have to go through the more educated medical experts and that alone causes delays and misunderstandings. To be effective the junta should step down and install a temporary technocrat government. Not going to happen so a heavy price will be paid.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

They younger groups of Thai's don't seem to give a rats a$$ as we see groups of 20 or so drinking away, sad really, what happens when they go home and infect good old mum and dad or their grandparents and they pass away, hope it was all worth it then.

Yes, going home to give the very family members who give them the money to go drinking in groups in the first place.

• Like 1

several points here,the govt and social distancing-what about sending everyone home thru mua chit etc with no guidelines and even allowing such a thing,duuuur,then the burmese and cambodians .the same after youd realised the mistake youd made with your own people......  dumber,then crowding out immigration...is there any end to your stupidity?then the boxing events .....mindless.now u want to tell us what?shut up and do yourself a favour we are a lot smarter than you and if the rest of the dummies havent figured it out by now they never will,i guess theyll do what they always do- play at being adults till they tire of that and revert to norm.ohh and i guess if we dont like it we can pay up and leave.if only.....,half wit ville in all its glory

• Like 1

16 hours ago, colinneil said:

Social distancing, ha ha ha, thats a joke, all the usual village gossips  congregating next door for their daily session.

The only people practicing distancing is me and the misses, everyone else here business as usual.

Two women outside our gate this morning giving my wife grief about being married to the crazy hiding away farang.

Typical Colin. I hope your wife gave as good as she got, with a few home truths to boot.

• Like 1

the concept of social distancing (invented by someone sated in a cool air conditioned office) is good in theory only. it is not practical to effect this in reality - how to do so in public transportation, markets, malls etc.you try to keep your distance and people come very close to you. what can you? nothing at all.

• Like 1

Anyone know where I can get a Hazmat suit? I may need one when I have to go to immigration next. Last time I went, all the IO's were wearing masks and rubber gloves, with hand gel at the door. I wouldn't want to pass anything on. Or do I walk in calling "Unclean, Unclean"?

• Haha 1

As someone mentioned anyone can die no matter what age.

I'm 50+ now and is quite troubled about this outbreak, but when i think back i wouldn't  give a flying )"/¤ about his outbreak if i was 20 years old.

Back then it was just party, drink and get laid no matter what consequences. 

Rinse and repeat.

Hopefully the youth is smarter these days and realize this is quite serious.

Best of luck to all across the planet.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BobbyL said:

There isn't any real social distancing going on in central Bangkok apart from the fact that some places are closed. I am working from home but popped out earlier to 7/11 etc. Street sellers everywhere, people queuing to buy food and drinks etc and quite a few people not wearing masks. Without real enforcement this won't change. 

Most of those people have no kitchen or cooking facilities and would starve if not for the street food, the local 711 microwave, soda pop and junk food. 

• Like 1

My girlfriend this morning said and i quote !

The Tsunami virus get everyone already why they now look for people wet too late.

Many people dry now but still got wet and not say .

Kinda understood her thinking  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

but when they come back they will obliged do 14 days of quarantine, the phuu ya baan will take care of it????

It is pure madness.
Why doesn't the pouya ban prevent them from leaving for Bangkok?
and then, 14 days of quarantine in a village of Isaan. No one will do this quarantine;
I can see how it goes in my village;
nothing has changed since the government's often contradictory announcements.
life goes on as before (and we have no shortage of eggs or drinking water)

• Like 2

Social distancing...what's that??????

I went to my local immigration office the other day where all the chairs were neatly placed apart. Everyone (that I could see), including me, wearing a face mask.

My number gets called and I go inside where every other chair is marked as a separator.

I sit down. This is good I thought. Two chaps sitting at the counter being served, one on my left, one on my right about (looked Asian) 1.5 meters apart.

Then it all falls apart.

Suddenly I get called by an IO and he beckons me to the counter. Now I have to stand in between the two still being served...and it gets worse. He takes my required documents, sorts out those he wants to keep and promptly hands back the remainder slapping them down right on top of the papers already on the counter belonging to man still being served on my right.

The man on my right is served and walks out almost stepping on my feet as he does so.

I'm told to sit at the counter.

Lady IO who is serving me tells me I haven't written my phone number on the form...I reply that I have. She can't find it and waves the form at me asking for the the number and I tell her the number is on the top right next to my name. She grunts.

On my way out I sit on a vacant chair, check my stuff, while some of the people are moving the chairs closer to each other so they can chat. The attending outside lady IO gets annoyed with them so she walks over bends over between them and they separate.

I sigh.

Social distancing...what's that??????

• Like 2

18 hours ago, colinneil said:

Social distancing, ha ha ha, thats a joke, all the usual village gossips  congregating next door for their daily session.

The only people practicing distancing is me and the misses, everyone else here business as usual.

Two women outside our gate this morning giving my wife grief about being married to the crazy hiding away farang.

I hope that you and the missus remain practicing social distancing Col, even if others don't. The women outside the gate giving your wife grief will soon perish and be no doubt replaced by new ones... Stay strong, stay alive!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Many people just not grasping the seriousness of the situation. Just watching Sky News - In the UK police are stopping cars and getting close to unwound windows - no masks or protective gear. Hundred's of people on the streets applauding the nurses (which is commendable) but not many masks and very little social distancing. Unbelievable.

Every day you have been alive on average over 1,000 people died from influenza complications.  Never did any one practice social distancing and wearing face masks all of the time.  Governments did not force businesses to close or restrict travel.  

In an earlier statement they said up to 300,000 people could get infected if the government did nothing.  That is only .5% of Thailand's population.  That means if the government did nothing and life went on as normal you would have a 99.5% chance of not getting infected.  And the figures in this article are way lower than that.

Unbelievable. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Logosone said:

Too late.

The virus has long spread in large numbers in Thailand.

Social distancing will achieve nothing, except possibly, if done perfectly effect a very small slowing in transmission. That is all.

But any fantasy of containing the virus by lockdowns, travel restrictions, curfews and "social distancing" are just pure illusory beliefs. There is absolutely no hard data that shows social distancing can do anything else but achieve very small delays.

This study shows the whole isolation of Wuhan only bought the rest of China 3 days:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/03/25/science.abb4218

So what would you do?

1 hour ago, Virt said:

As someone mentioned anyone can die no matter what age.

I'm 50+ now and is quite troubled about this outbreak, but when i think back i wouldn't  give a flying )"/¤ about his outbreak if i was 20 years old.

Back then it was just party, drink and get laid no matter what consequences. 

Rinse and repeat.

Hopefully the youth is smarter these days and realize this is quite serious.

Best of luck to all across the planet.

Im 62 yo and not afraid in the least about this virus, Ive lived through worse. And for those who are infected most will survive. Has anyone thought how on earth this virus spread so fast. Some countries more than others?