Infections will skyrocket without social distancing, says official

webfact

Across the world and here in THailand you have a combination of selfishness and stupidity and that is a lethal comibination - I was in the market yesterday and told a girl working on a fruit stall that she needed to wear gloves because of virus transmission by touch and she looked at me as if was an alien - all rushing into mini vans to travel - utter stupidity  The answer for me is stay at home 99% of the time and venture out to buy food at the least popular times and forward planning and hope- 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ReLo said:

Wondering if people even heard about Covid in ESAAN provinces ?

Nobody cares...

You would be VERY surprised at the level of awareness in the Issaan villages. At least in the wife's village. The Kamnan is on the speaker system telling people all about it. Specifically telling them if anyone returns to the village from BKK etc they MUST isolate for 14 days. People are taking it seriously. Can't talk for other villages but that is what is happening there and has been for two weeks.

5 hours ago, RickBradford said:

One prominent UK medical authority, Professor John Lee, has suggested that while coronavirus may kill many people, wrecking the economy may also cost lives. He argues:

How do we measure the health consequences of taking people’s lives, jobs, leisure and purpose away from them to protect them from an anticipated threat? Which causes least harm?

The moral debate is not lives vs money. It is lives vs lives. It will take months, perhaps years, if ever, before we can assess the wider implications of what we are doing. The damage to children’s education, the excess suicides, the increase in mental health problems, the taking away of resources from other health problems that we were dealing with effectively. Those who need medical help now but won’t seek it, or might not be offered it.

And what about the effects on food production and global commerce, that will have unquantifiable consequences for people of all ages, perhaps especially in developing economies?

What he has overlooked is the world has lived on debt for a long time and there are insane bubbles in economies. Regardless of corona, those bubbles will burst and economic disaster will happen anyway. All the virus does is to present a needle to the bubble.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tropposurfer said:

Share that with the umpteen falang tourists I have seen in the last few days alone on Phuket with no masks and walking around with no concern for others safety by ignoring this and distancing suggestions !!!!

but if you were staying home as required you wouldn't even know!

just enjoy the opportunity to hammer righteously at your keyboard while actually being right, albeit as ineffective as ever.

Man on speaker here also, for two weeks,telling the story.That along with family watching tv news. Any changes? Still looks the same to me as I drive around.3 instances of a group of 5 to 8 all sitting close and drinking and eating. Family still sharing the same cup for water. Sticky rice (all know how it's eaten). When I went shopping ,most wore masks, which may help a little. Haven't seen any falangs without masks in all the times I've been shopping,Tesco,7-11 and immigration.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Your father wouldnt stand a chance if he got a cold, your father is a sick man and he's elderly...understand.

Gee I hope that no one ever needs to rely on you for any compassionate grounds.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JGV said:

Across the world and here in THailand you have a combination of selfishness and stupidity and that is a lethal comibination - I was in the market yesterday and told a girl working on a fruit stall that she needed to wear gloves because of virus transmission by touch and she looked at me as if was an alien - all rushing into mini vans to travel - utter stupidity  The answer for me is stay at home 99% of the time and venture out to buy food at the least popular times and forward planning and hope- 

I see where your going although I’ve never understood the gloves thing..

..wouldn't transmission occur anyway unless gloves are changed frequently and not worn to handle the cash at the same time as serving the fruit?

On 3/27/2020 at 3:43 PM, 4MyEgo said:

They younger groups of Thai's don't seem to give a rats a$$ as we see groups of 20 or so drinking away, sad really, what happens when they go home and infect good old mum and dad or their grandparents and they pass away, hope it was all worth it then.

You ask what will happen if they take the disease home to there parents who succumb to this disaster, well its simple, it is Mum/ Dad who are keeping there lazy ass-s, motorbike fuel money for there every whim,,

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORL LADS, its SINK OR SWIM TIME.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Consummata Sunt said:

Unnecessary Thai bashing in a perilous time. Noted.

Oh please what happened when you went out and brought a cold back home with you? Because people are contracting this virus doesnt mean your going to die, get a gripe people will you already! Whats up with this hysteria I dont understand it, whose generating it? And most importantly since this shut down how are people surviving, people need money to live day to day so where is the money coming from?

Edited by Mikeasq60
grammar, lol

On 3/27/2020 at 8:33 AM, Phuketshrew said:

Many people just not grasping the seriousness of the situation. Just watching Sky News - In the UK police are stopping cars and getting close to unwound windows - no masks or protective gear. Hundred's of people on the streets applauding the nurses (which is commendable) but not many masks and very little social distancing. Unbelievable.

What total and complete nonsense. I am in the UK and the whole country is like a ghost town. i haven't seen any of my friends or relatives for over 2 weeks. We are ALL working together to beat this. I have never seen anything like this, and I doubt I will ever again. As for protective masks they are almost impossible to buy along with anti bacterial soup, however if you read the WHO advice the masks that people wear do very little to protect you,, read and educate yourself. And lastly about the Police... they are putting themselves in danger everyday to keep our streets safe, they obviously are at higher risk of getting infected, the same as nurses and any other key workers. Yes we applauded the nurses, however we didn't all congregate in the streets, gather into crowds to do it. Imbecile!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

Farangs are the worst offenders ive noticed.

They should be fined for not wearing facemasks and flouting safety regulations.

Good to see 2 metre rule going into big C today.

Im a foreigner btw ????

Facemasks are pretty useless. Read and see. Asia has a history of wearing masks a lot, so they instinctively feel its the "go to" protection, but it isn't. The virus is not airborn, by far and away the biggest risk is from things you touch. The only advice is,, if you have symptoms of the virus and are coughing and sneezing wear one to try and protect others...

On 3/27/2020 at 8:33 AM, Phuketshrew said:

Many people just not grasping the seriousness of the situation. Just watching Sky News - In the UK police are stopping cars and getting close to unwound windows - no masks or protective gear. Hundred's of people on the streets applauding the nurses (which is commendable) but not many masks and very little social distancing. Unbelievable.

Thread's about Thailand innit?

That is not typical. If you were in the UK you'd see generally people are indoors and are thinly spread when out. Supermarkets operate a one-out/one-in policy with strict queuing outside. Cops disperse folk in parks etc from a distance. 

28 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

What total and complete nonsense. I am in the UK and the whole country is like a ghost town. i haven't seen any of my friends or relatives for over 2 weeks. We are ALL working together to beat this. I have never seen anything like this, and I doubt I will ever again. As for protective masks they are almost impossible to buy along with anti bacterial soup, however if you read the WHO advice the masks that people wear do very little to protect you,, read and educate yourself. And lastly about the Police... they are putting themselves in danger everyday to keep our streets safe, they obviously are at higher risk of getting infected, the same as nurses and any other key workers. Yes we applauded the nurses, however we didn't all congregate in the streets, gather into crowds to do it. Imbecile!

Agreed. Same here. The guy is basing his opinion on a news clip, which is not typical. 

3 hours ago, JGV said:

Across the world and here in THailand you have a combination of selfishness and stupidity and that is a lethal comibination

And what about the selfishness and stupity of not applying the same measures to the flu which kills 400,000 every year so over the last ten years 4 million lives may have been saved?Is that not also a leathal combination or is it the these flu victims are somehow not worthy of such measures?

Went to buy some food at Rimping today. Wanted to order delivery at first, but that is fully booked and not possible.

Overall a good experience, when it comes to social distancing. Also think it helped a lot being a farang, as many seemed to want to keep a good distance to me. Some panicking a bit, when I got to close.

The dirty farang thing might have turned out to be a benefit ????

Edited by khunpa
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

And what about the selfishness and stupity of not applying the same measures to the flu which kills 400,000 every year so over the last ten years 4 million lives may have been saved?Is that not also a leathal combination or is it the these flu victims are somehow not worthy of such measures?

its a good point, however for regular flu we have a vaccine, for covid 19 we don't. also what do you suggest? we can hardly trash our economies every single year! how many people will die if we did that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikeasq60 said:

I have compasion and Im being real here, sorry if your having a tough time with that.

Allowing the very real increased risk of granddad and grandma succumbing to a horrible death doesn't sound very compassionate to me!

..a tough time? haha get you!

Edited by NightSky

17 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

its a good point, however for regular flu we have a vaccine, for covid 19 we don't. also what do you suggest? we can hardly trash our economies every single year! how many people will die if we did that?

Having vaccines for flu stiil ends up with 400,000 deaths each year if we can hardly trash our economies for those 400,000 pa. why are trashing our economies for an unkown amount of deaths from this outbreak?Are the 400,000 flu victims some how not worthy?What I suggest is we treat this outbreak the same as we treat the flu each year without trashing our economies and disrupting peoples freedoms in the name of saving lives hypocracy.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Allowing the very real increased risk of granddad and grandma succumbing to a horrible death doesn't sound very compassionate to me!

..a tough time? haha get you!

Yet we allow the same very real threat to granddad and grandma and the grandkids from the flu.Why?Are the 400,000 dying each year from the flu less worthy of protecting?

3 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Having vaccines for flu stiil ends up with 400,000 deaths each year if we can hardly trash our economies for those 400,000 pa. why are trashing our economies for an unkown amount of deaths from this outbreak?Are the 400,000 flu victims some how not worthy?

Compared to the flu there will be a lot more deaths if covid is allowed to rip because of the influx of critically ill patients getting sick all at the same time and without enough resources available to care for them.

There are stories coming out of Spain of patients over 65 years old left to die so that ventilators can goto the younger ones.

Should those people be left to die in exchange for delaying a recession that was due anyway?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Compared to the flu there will be a lot more deaths if covid is allowed to rip because of the influx of critically ill patients getting sick all at the same time and without enough resources available to care for them.

There are stories coming out of Spain of patients over 65 years old left to die so that ventilators can goto the younger ones.

Should those people be left to die in exchange for delaying a recession that was due anyway?

Do you know how many will die from covid19 or is that a prediction?Covid19 cases will be piling up on top of the flu cases and other illness on health systems already stretched which indicate that our health systems are not given much of a priority in todays world where something like this overloads it so easily,we have put our priorities elsewhere.See how easily we start abandoning those who are less able to defend themselves by prioritising based on age.We have let 400,000 die from flu each year to avoid delaying the destruction of the global economy.Why?

Maybe if they took some of the billions that are spent each year in America on weapons to kill and put that towards health care? America can wipe out a country in a matter of hours with what they already have in weaponry. Just a thought

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

Yes we applauded the nurses, however we didn't all congregate in the streets, gather into crowds to do it. Imbecile!

No need to be rude - I was not moaning about applauding the nurses - I have a sister in law and nieces working in the NHS. I was commenting about what I saw on BBC World News footage where there were crowds of people outside, many without masks and very few practicing effective social distancing - the camera's don't lie. You were obviously not in the area that was shown on the news. If you want a good read on this then go to: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Stay home and stay safe in the UK.

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

What he has overlooked is the world has lived on debt for a long time and there are insane bubbles in economies. Regardless of corona, those bubbles will burst and economic disaster will happen anyway. All the virus does is to present a needle to the bubble.

Isn't that a little bit like saying there's driving and then there's road deaths in Thailand, regardless of anything that is done, those deaths will happen? You've been in Thailand too long!

No, no, no, the lockdowns were the cause, not the virus, they were the giant machete that cut the world economy apart. 

Yes, there's debt, but then there's coronavirus debt. Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs say there'll be a contraction of 30% in one single. quarter in the US. All because of lockdowns. Many people wil live in poverty, many business will never reopen and are lost forever.

And the boffin in the UK responsible for the social distancing mania has now sheepishly said he thinks around 20,000 or "considerably less" will die in the UK. That's what, 0.003 percent of the UK population?

Based on that the governments can put lockdowns in place that ruin millions of people? Really? Because bubbles happen all the time? This was not a bubble, this was the effect of lockdowns. Kind of the opposite of a bubble.

42 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Maybe if they took some of the billions that are spent each year in America on weapons to kill and put that towards health care? America can wipe out a country in a matter of hours with what they already have in weaponry. Just a thought

It's about priorities and we elect people to decide our priorities and we go along until the war enters our homes and we realise the mistake we have made.

30 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

No need to be rude - I was not moaning about applauding the nurses - I have a sister in law and nieces working in the NHS. I was commenting about what I saw on BBC World News footage where there were crowds of people outside, many without masks and very few practicing effective social distancing - the camera's don't lie. You were obviously not in the area that was shown on the news. If you want a good read on this then go to: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Your post was insinuating that the UK were not taking appropriate precautions in order to control the spread, completely incorrect. If you have nieces in the NHS you should know your comments were nonsense. You are drawing conclusions from a brief shot in the press and nothing more. It was a pointless post. I was hardly that rude, just think before you post such things.

40 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

If you want a good read on this then go to: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

I tried to read the article but there were to many "shoulds and shouldn'ts" to get past the first 2 sentences.