Air Mail suspended to US and some of EU

3421abc

While I believe that airmail will have some bumps now since most flights are suspended, why would surface mail take 2-3 months?

A container ship from Thailand to Europe took 23 days when I shipped regular goods to Europe more than a decade ago, I believe it could be faster now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

acctually many passenger flights turned into cargo flights now.

Really, so they are rebuilding passenger planes to be functional as a cargo plane?

And I wonder who ordering all those goods, so they need extra planes to transport them, with the majority of factories closed around the world

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Susco said:

While I believe that airmail will have some bumps now since most flights are suspended, why would surface mail take 2-3 months?

A container ship from Thailand to Europe took 23 days when I shipped regular goods to Europe more than a decade ago, I believe it could be faster now.

what container ships?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-toll-on-shipping-reaches-350-million-a-week-11581366671

9 minutes ago, Will2011 said:

The article you shared is from feb 15, 2020. The suspension came yesterday into effect.

Please refrain from using old news and misinforming users.

Sorry. Forgot to look at the date. 

1 hour ago, Will2011 said:

CONFIRMED. I HAVE SPOKE TO A REPRESENTATIVE WHO SAID IT IS SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY.

Other couriers are still shipping though.

BUT WE HAVE TO FIGHT THIS OUTRAGEOUS DECISION. I recommend to send them an email and use social media platforms with related hashtags to turn this around immediately

Outrageous decision? It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out that airmail relies on airplanes to fly it on. With so many flights cancelled what else can they do?

There's no point in comparing the mail service to courier services. They have their own aircraft fleets.

Like many things just now. We'll have to learn to adapt.

• Haha 1

Was your fist post closed because somebody supposed to know and who think that he is the boss, said that nothing changed and that airmail is still available ? So funny that some people do not like to be proven wrong even if they are most of the time 555

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I was told Thai EMS post business as usual, who do beleive on here anymore.

Ask one of the main post offices in Bangkok. I am sure many smaller post offices in and out of Bangkok may not be aware of this memo. We all know how things here run.

The small post office in Silom was clueless about this notice, they were still offering the service without knowing it was suspended. I had to go to the main post office in Bangkok to get the right information. 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Assume this applies to incoming as well?

I would think that's very likely. No flights must mean mail is affected in both directions.

This could have ramifications for some UK pensioners using the income method. Next month sees the end of the UK tax year and that's when most pension providers send out their annual statements.

Could be tricky for those who's extensions are due soon. It is possible to get the relevant information from the UK's tax web site if one is registered. Don't know whether I/Os will accept that, but needs must as they say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3421abc said:

Ask one of the main post offices in Bangkok. I am sure many smaller post offices in and out of Bangkok may not be aware of this memo. We all know how things here run.

The small post office in Silom was clueless about this notice, they were still offering the service without knowing it was suspended. I had to go to the main post office in Bangkok to get the right information. 

Got Mrs ring head post office Sukhothai business as usual but some delays are possible.

Had a EMS letter delivered yesterday so again who to believe.

Also had a delivery this Saturday morn my UK credit card statement.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

I can also confirm this notice is true. We were notified yesterday when we sent out our packages to expect a delivery time of 5-6 weeks because they were going to be delivered by surface mail.

No change in price though. Not sure how the government expects small retailers to survive this. The banks sure aren't sharing any of the pain. No relief on mortgages or personal loans.

2 minutes ago, Monomial said:

No relief on mortgages or personal loans.

I think you're mistaken our truck loan with a bank is offering a 6 month non payment and extend the original term by 6 months a bit more interest to pay but a reasonable thing for them to offer at this time of crisis.

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I think you're mistaken our truck loan with a bank is offering a 6 month non payment and extend the original term by 6 months a bit more interest to pay but a reasonable thing for them to offer at this time of crisis.

Not mistaken. Only relief for car loans and business loans. Not for mortgages or personal loans. I don't have a car loan so that offers me no help.

This 6 week delay for postal service effectively kills my only source of income, so I am not sure how I am supposed to pay for my house.

Edited by Monomial

1 hour ago, Monomial said:

Not mistaken. Only relief for car loans and business loans. Not for mortgages or personal loans. I don't have a car loan so that offers me no help.

This 6 week delay for postal service effectively kills my only source of income, so I am not sure how I am supposed to pay for my house.

Well sorry about that, thought Thai people were going to get help from Thai govt because my Thai son has a mortgage and I'm told he will get help if his work income is affected because of the C19.

I bought everything before I retired here, the truck finance deal was better than me paying cash.