BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

British Embassy update regarding processing of visa extension letters

1 minute ago, stuhan said:

This is so insane,if the virus goes on and on and people need to keep getting extensions and letters if they cannot leave its madness,just let people who are genuinely stuck here here go and have interview with immigration for extensions to see if they are legit or not,no need for letters it's a nightmare for people.

totally agree with you stun.common sense, not sure what its called in Thai

• Haha 1

But when should I send the email to request the letter? My extension runs out on the 15th April. Can I send the email now or should I wait? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomth said:

But when should I send the email to request the letter? My extension runs out on the 15th April. Can I send the email now or should I wait? 

hi tom i would definitely apply for it now.they say takes 2 days.i have been waiting 4 days and still no reply.obviously they are very busy.

32 minutes ago, daveyboy69 said:

totally agree with you stun.common sense, not sure what its called in Thai

There isn't any.

• Like 1

Would make sense if the embassy would email back to say they have received your email and are now processing your documents.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

Would make sense if the embassy would email back to say they have received your email and are now processing your documents.

From the OP:

For anyone who submits a request for a visa extension letter, if you receive an automatic reply that is confirmation the British Embassy has received your request. There is no need to submit another request.

I suspect you missed that.

No confirmation of received email first 2 applications denied due to protocol within 12hrs, now 5 days overstay if I receive the letter Monday,

14 hours ago, Welshpete said:

No confirmation of received email first 2 applications denied due to protocol within 12hrs, now 5 days overstay if I receive the letter Monday,

I received mine this morning so it looks like they're still issuing over the weekend. Sit tight. To be honest, even though I now have one, I'm not even sure if I want to go and do it because looking at the crowds of people at CW, it looks like a perfect way to get infected. I also read that some people waited all day, only to be told to come back again the next day because they were so overwhelmed. And that was after the opening of the spillover place. BTW, does anyone know whether you have to print the letter or can you just show it to them on your laptop/phone etc?

4 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

I received mine this morning so it looks like they're still issuing over the weekend. Sit tight. To be honest, even though I now have one, I'm not even sure if I want to go and do it because looking at the crowds of people at CW, it looks like a perfect way to get infected. I also read that some people waited all day, only to be told to come back again the next day because they were so overwhelmed. And that was after the opening of the spillover place. BTW, does anyone know whether you have to print the letter or can you just show it to them on your laptop/phone etc?

I heard it is definitely required to print it.  And in color if you want to minimize any possibility of rejection for any stupid reason. 😉

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you sure you need the letter?

The letter is only needed if applying for a 2nd 30 day extension of a tourist visa or visa exempt entry. If it is your first one you certainly do not need the letter.

I guessing many people that are requesting one do not need it. There is a lot a of false info floating around about them.

If will be my second extension, so is required. I'll request now to be safe. I'm sure they're very busy. I just hope that it will not (expire) by the time I need to use it. Anyone know how long before your extension expires you can go to apply for extension? The last one I went 4 days before. 

41 minutes ago, tomth said:

Anyone know how long before your extension expires you can go to apply for extension?

A couple of week early at some immigration offices. Others a week early. 

I don't think the letters have a expiration date on them. I suspect the embassy may be doing them based upon urgency for needing it based upon your permit to stay day date.