Digital economy minister tells public: Stop fake news! Not sure - Don't share!

rooster59

Digital economy minister tells public: Stop fake news! Not sure - Don't share!

A-5.jpg

Image: INN

The minister for the digital economy and society Buddhipongse Punnakanta told the Thai media that the problem of what he called "fake news" was getting worse and worse.

He was apparently referring to people who share unverified stories and make unsubstantiated comments about coronavirus.

He warned the public that he was working with a special police team to tackle the problem.

His message was clear. If you are not confident about the veracity of news don't share it. Also he reminded the Thai public not to share news that has no verifiable source.

"If you do this fake news will stop right there with you," he said.

He said that unhelpful comments and distortions were damaging society.

He indicated to INN that most of the fake news was on platforms like Facebook and Twitter and he said he had contacted them in an effort to limit damaging content.

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-28
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, aussienam said:

I agree on this one. 

There are idiots online of all nationalities spreading all sorts of stupid rumours, conspiracy theories, false outbreak reports, misinformation etc that could potentially go 'viral' (pardon the pun) and generate mass panic.  

Yes, governments are not perfect and will make poor decisions, but the end game is to nip the 'Wuhan' virus in the bud. 

Australia where I am stranded is the same with poor decisions made such as allowing infected ship load of people on shore causing mass infections.  And airport border control not temperature testing anyone arriving (albeit not perfect method), etc etc.  

Hooray mate i agree with you Some people like spreading stories to cause fear  Yesterday a guy says to me we are in Lockdown nothing open Pigs <deleted> The supermarkets are open the transport is running The post office is open The banks are open weeks days Just non essential services are closed This talk causes fear So the minister is right what he says

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lujanit said:

Unfortunately Thais are seriously addicted to Line ana Fakebook.  They share everything that comes their way.

Some of the things the wife tells me are so ridiculous how can they believe them. Silly me they were posted by a Thai. Yet she's appalled by the lack of social distancing. 

1 hour ago, 30la said:

Every colleague of yours (Thai minister) gives false news daily ... why don't you tell them too? ...

I think the using word fake is actually praising them and being disrespectful to genuine idiots. What have real idiots done to be compared with them ?

15 hours ago, 30la said:

Every colleague of yours (Thai minister) gives false news daily ... why don't you tell them too? ...

it is not necessary since the next day most contradict what they said the day before????

On 3/28/2020 at 9:15 AM, smedly said:

it's called discussion and people tend to do that ......................... have discussions and talk about things online

It is not fake news unless you claim something happened that didn't or claim something to be a fact when it isn't

Having an opinion about something is entirely different 

The only thing I would believe on facebook is the date. I would probably check that as well.

Edited by overherebc

On 3/28/2020 at 9:54 AM, aussienam said:

I agree on this one. 

There are idiots online of all nationalities spreading all sorts of stupid rumours, conspiracy theories, false outbreak reports, misinformation etc that could potentially go 'viral' (pardon the pun) and generate mass panic.  

Yes, governments are not perfect and will make poor decisions, but the end game is to nip the 'Wuhan' virus in the bud. 

Australia where I am stranded is the same with poor decisions made such as allowing infected ship load of people on shore causing mass infections.  And airport border control not temperature testing anyone arriving (albeit not perfect method), etc etc.  

Every day I delete quite a few e mails that people send me with links to some unknown expert who has proof it's all a big conspiracy blah blah. I think I read maybe 3 or 4 of them at the start and the one thing that stood out was the 'Send £1, $2 to continue receiving these important reports'

As I say I don't even read them now. I just bin them.

Meanwhile in Bangphli, local authorities are posting messages in local LINE groups telling Thai people they're killing Covid by spraying the sunny moobahn outside...

ROFL

IMG_1134.JPG

Edited by ben2talk