Trump tells GM: Stop 'wasting time', build ventilators to address coronavirus

rooster59

If there is one thing America does well, it is mass production. They invented it. Logistics is another one of their strengths.

Irrespective of whether Trump is wrong or right ( IMO he was very slow to react ) once the USA gets its act together there will probably be excess ventilators for export.

Now here's an idea - why not invoke the same Act, and have armaments manufacturers join the party? A bit like beating the swords into ploughshares.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Oddly, Trump has not published any document with his signature on it enacting the Defense Production Act.

No fanfare signing ceremony, no official government a announcement.

Formal announcement and signing ceremony completed (no social distancing to set an example - LOL). As ever the world has to put up with trump's blowhard blaming, self interest and deflections when being criticised. A good article below that talks to the background and challenges to ramp up production of ventilators which require an electronics factory facility.  As an aside I would imagine additional quality assurance for the software driving the equipment will be essential if components are  not sourced from the usual suppliers. probably slowing down supply.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/27/business/automakers-ventilator-production-coronavirus/index.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Well closing a plant means something to the workers and people too, does it not?

I dont kow why GM was dilly dallying, Ford has been making them quickly..

Huh?

After being called out on Twitter by U.S. President Donald Trump, Ford Motor said it’s “pulling out all the stops” to build ventilators and other devices needed to deal with the coronavirus pandemic.

Ford is already delivering tens of thousands of face shields to hospitals and police, Mark Truby, the automaker’s vice president of communications, said in a tweet. He wrote Ford also is “working flat-out” with General Electric to produce ventilators and 3M to boost production of air-purifying respirators in a partnership announced three days ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/ford-says-its-pulling-out-all-stops-to-make-ventilators/ar-BB11NNlV

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

I think that this endless blurb has been proven mostly false, even by the loose standards of mainstream media fact checking.

On the contrary. One Trump apparatchik had a column in the Washingtoon Post claiming otherwise. He had to finagle his way around the facts to back his assertion that the Pandemic team wasn't disbanded. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Now here's an idea - why not invoke the same Act, and have armaments manufacturers join the party? A bit like beating the swords into ploughshares.

Thats something I have thought about. I think the two that have the machining capability in house, vis S&W and Ruger, could easily make ventilator metal parts, and I wouldnt doubt that Ruger already is, since thats what they do besides guns, make precision parts. 

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Thats something I have thought about. I think the two that have the machining capability in house, vis S&W and Ruger, could easily make ventilator metal parts, and I wouldnt doubt that Ruger already is, since thats what they do besides guns, make precision parts. 

The plastic molded bits will take 8 to 12 weeks for off tool samples (after months of design and engineering), another 4 to 6 weeks till production.

And Made in China !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Found in the White House, circa 2017.

PLAYBOOK FOR  EARLY RESPONSE TO  EMERGING INFECTIOUS DISEASE THREATS AND BIOLOGICAL INCIDENTS

Early response? By the time you finish reading it the whole thing will be over. Someone got paid a whole lot of money for producing a document that will never be used.

image.png.b3ade43d0c8929ef31432571d0e38785.png

However it could prove a very useful document in case they run out of toilet paper.

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Should only take GM a day or 2 to convert the factories from making cars to medical equipment !!

It's just one factory. They either have been making them or something similar in the plant. Clean jobs for 1000. Should have never bailed them out. Make horrible cars and mediocre trucks.

18 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Clearly you believe that the year is 1944. I got news for you. It's been quite a while since the USA was the world's leading manufacturer. Oh, and the Communists have taken over China. And lately they've proven that they're not half bad at manufacturing stuff.

You know of global manufacturing I assume? America manufactures some of the world's most advanced technology using components make everywhere including China. China is an incredible manufacturer and that's great as I order lots of parts and components, which are cheap and shipped free.  What a wonderful global arrangement! Of course the US has 2.5 times the total national output of China relative to manufactured goods. 

Stats from 2018 Brookings

=====================================

Country Manufacturing Output ($billions) Percent of National Output Percent of Global Manufacturing
China $2,010 27 20
United States 1,867 12 18
Japan 1,063 19 10
Germany 700 23 7
South Korea 372 29 4
India 298 16 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

It's just one factory. They either have been making them or something similar in the plant. Clean jobs for 1000. Should have never bailed them out. Make horrible cars and mediocre trucks.

I doubt GM have been making them or something similar in any of their factories.

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

LOL - from the article...

The ventilators were purchased from US government-approved manufacturers in China.

Well they do have some manufacturing experience ... ???? ... Can you imagine T asking for help from China ? .. Would not look to good for him would it ...

• Haha 2