Commercial banks close all branches over weekend to prevent overcrowding

rooster59

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

talk about the worse possible thing for a bank to say or do during a global freakout!

i saw groups of Thais at banks yesterday in Hua Hin. 

i am using BB Visa credit card to pay for food wherever possible.

I think you are right about the banks not thinking ahead! The most likely outcome is misinterpretation by the public creating a run on the banks!

8 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I think you are right about the banks not thinking ahead! The most likely outcome is misinterpretation by the public creating a run on the banks!

There is going to be a run on these banks... by the people waiting in long lines to collect their 5,000 baht. 

I have seen it many times in the past, and it lasts for days. 

Meanwhile the bank tellers enjoy a well deserved break, because next week is gonna be very hard for them. 

4 hours ago, Siameaze said:

I have US Social Security direct deposited to Bangkok Bank. However Direct Deposit accounts require a branch visit for withdrawal. I have asked Bangkok Bank to change this but have little hope for a fast, positive result. I will probably return to international transfer after SS deposit to my US bank. Will wait until I complete my Retirement extension of stay expiring 26 May

I changed my DD to SCB. No need to go to the bank it's there ready to use. I get the transfer on the 3rd of each month at 9AM... NOT 2pm or the next day as BKK bank loves to hold your money.

Send an email to Manila for the forms..  

5 hours ago, Venom said:

They must be trying to create a panic situation as nobody could possibly be so stupid to give such an order. Amazing Thailand.

All bank lobby's have closed here in the US also.  And yep, they are causing a panic situation.  The ATM's and drive up lanes are open and causing lines running around the block.   But in the last week, I've met older people who've never used a debit card or a drive up lane in their life.  They are scared.  

13 hours ago, Brunolem said:

There is going to be a run on these banks... by the people waiting in long lines to collect their 5,000 baht. 

I have seen it many times in the past, and it lasts for days. 

Meanwhile the bank tellers enjoy a well deserved break, because next week is gonna be very hard for them. 

The term, "run on a bank" has a specific meaning and I don't think you mean that, it means account holders queuing to empty their accounts because they think the bank may go out of business.

My first thought also was the title should read "Commercial banks OPEN all branches over the weekend to prevent overcrowding". On second thought it might achieve steering people away from a visit to applying online. My wife did just that last night and when she finally got through she was jumping up and down the living room that her 5,000 Baht handout is under consideration. Within 7 days it will be rejected or approved. 

A poster was surprised that they use commercial banks for this but that is only for the application. I understand that the actual handouts will be done in cash only through the Government Savings Bank.

19 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Said it previously, there will an outbreak of food riots soon

Why?? In bkk grocery stores are all open and shelves stocked, restaurants are open for carry out and even some bars are selling “take away” beer.

food carts are still on the soi’s selling. 
maybe it’s just a problem where you live.

14 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

Why?? In bkk grocery stores are all open and shelves stocked, restaurants are open for carry out and even some bars are selling “take away” beer.

food carts are still on the soi’s selling. 
maybe it’s just a problem where you live.

Have you ever thought about the possibility that a few thousands people could run out of money ?

On 3/28/2020 at 2:54 PM, Guderian said:

So who exactly can claim this 5,000 Baht/month?

The GF works for me part-time cleaning my gaff and doing other odd jobs, but as I've been advised to self-isolate by the authorities (like anybody elderly or with a chronic health condition) she can no longer come to work for me until this is over.

She says she's asked about this scheme but was told mai dai, something about not having a poor card (whatever that is). I'll still transfer money to her bank account, of course, but the 5K would have been a useful little extra for her.

She qualifies as a freelancer which is included in the list of those eligible, but she hasn't been directly "affected by the government’s closure order of business venues", but she is still a victim of the present situation which is beyond her control and none of her fault.

Surely the government should be helping her, and is there anything she can do to get them to take notice?

"So who exactly can claim this 5,000 Baht/month?"

Thai nationals outside the social security system.