Thailand announces 109 new COVID-19 cases, total cases now 1,245

Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand reports 109 new coronavirus cases and one death

breaking news banner V2.png

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand reported 109 new coronavirus cases and one death, bringing the total to 1,245 infections and 6 deaths, the spokesman of the government's Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) said on Saturday.

The latest death is of a patient with some prior health complication, Taweesin Wisanuyothin, the CCSA spokesman said.

The Thai government on Friday ordered the closing down of more public facilities and businesses to curb the spread of coronavirus, and has extended existing closures until the end of April.

The provinces of Narathiwat and Pattani in southern Thailand are in lockdown while several other provinces have issued orders to restrict the opening and closing times of 24-hour convenience stores.

(Reporting by Panu Wongcha-um; Editing by Shri Navaratnam)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-28

45 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This remains an incredibly low number, considering the millions of Chinese people who were crowded about in Thailand in January. And if those people were infected, and mixing with the general population, and if we were going to see an explosion in cases, like alot of fear mongering officials are saying, it would have happened already. Sorry to disappoint. But, it will not grow to alarming numbers here. I anticipate it leveling off at 5,000 cases or less. Granted, I could be wrong. This is simply my personal estimate, partly based on some evidence that heat seems to decimate this virus, and the fact that it seems to thrive in temperatures of 35-67 degrees F. There is some science to back up this assertion. If this was going to become an alarming situation, it would have happened already. 100 new cases a day is nothing. We are seeing 10,000 plus in the US.

Well lets see now.......if a virus spread cannot be contained, and is rising at a rate that could be alarming, what would be the best way to give the impression a government was in full control, while the prevention methods suggest paddling like fleeing duck?

• Like 2

I'm guessing China had 1 million cases.  nobody runs incinerators 24 hours a day for their "numbers".  Now they might have 10 million cases.  

I'm guessing there will be 1 billion cases in a few months.  

if you quote me numbers from a website, your credibility is lost unless you make some disclaimers.  

soon there will be self-administered kits.  then we must trust they are honest in the result.  then we will have scarlet letters everywhere.

thailand still seems way better than other options.  hey, imagine if we were drafted for war?  that would be stress....

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

all based on the number of daily tests, which are very low, if they increase daily testing numbers will jump to the 1,000s.... also depending on the type of test being performed

EGGZACTLY>>>>>>

27 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

I'm guessing China had 1 million cases.  nobody runs incinerators 24 hours a day for their "numbers".  Now they might have 10 million cases.  

I'm guessing there will be 1 billion cases in a few months.  

if you quote me numbers from a website, your credibility is lost unless you make some disclaimers.  

soon there will be self-administered kits.  then we must trust they are honest in the result.  then we will have scarlet letters everywhere.

thailand still seems way better than other options.  hey, imagine if we were drafted for war?  that would be stress....

China is now experiencing a second wave of infections....the circle of the virus has returned.  Lets hope its not with a vengeance

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-china-bans-most-foreign-travelers-20200326-ovj2nxapgja7bk2ytfdzz7zbza-story.html

Edited by ThailandRyan

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

China is now experiencing a second wave of infections....the circle of the virus has returned.  Lets hope its not with a vengeance

This is why a lockdown is a problem....it must continue for months. I understand many of these new infections were from returnees. But a new wave is expected if they ease off the pedal too much.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, justin case said:

if you only follow THAI news, you will never know what happens in the world...

You manage to get on the internet to post on here but you can’t search for international news?

• Haha 1