Anybody else don't care about COVID and ignores it?

26 minutes ago, steven100 said:

then try living in India or Malaysia or China or somewhere else .....   

i don't want him coming to live in Malaysia with that attitude.  We (they) are doing well to limit the increase of COVID-19 with the Movement Control Order, and it's better done sooner than later. 

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

i don't want him coming to live in Malaysia with that attitude.  We (they) are doing well to limit the increase of COVID-19 with the Movement Control Order, and it's better done sooner than later. 

totally agree ...  some people just don't get it  !

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

To me, Covid-19 is a bit like the 400 kg gorilla in the corner of the room. You know it is there but you hope it will go away soon.

Keep happy and well everybody.

I think that there are things that you can do to reduce your risk; some obvious, some that I don't know about...
- Obviously, stay healthy; healthy diet, some exercise, don't get tired or stressed
- social distancing; minimise close contact, avoid breathing other people's air
    Especially stay away from anyone who is coughing, or sneezing, or snivveling, or looking a bit pale and peaky, or just complaining and whinging and being miserable; probably best to stay on the Cycling Forum, or "What Are You Listening To"
- clean hands, and don't touch your face
These are not things you can do 100% to avoid the disease, but hopefully when you get it, you will start with a lower viral load so that it will have less of a head start on your immune system.  After that, it's up God and your immune system.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tropo said:

this panic is making people take absurd measures to protect themselves. 

The vast majority of the medical/infectious disease expert community would disagree with you.

The measures of social distancing and such are aimed at trying to restrain the peak of the disease, flatten the curve, and perhaps that does extend the length of the pandemic some. But it also hopefully avoids a complete collapse and overwhelming of nations' health care systems that would leave both the CV infected and everyone else in deep doo doo.

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The vast majority of the medical/infectious disease expert community would disagree with you.

The measures of social distancing and such are aimed at trying to restrain the peak of the disease, flatten the curve, and perhaps that does extend the length of the pandemic some. But it also hopefully avoids a complete collapse and overwhelming of nations' health care systems that would leave both the CV infected and everyone else in deep doo doo.

My friends who are recovering do not take it lightly; luckily they are young healthy fellows, and fortunate too, in this instance.  Many other people are not.  Don't carry the disease to them

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lust said:

It’s amazing how some dummies have the “it’s just a flu, stop listening to the news”, attitude when doctors and nurses all around the world are freaking out.

Absolutely moronic. Where do these people come from? 

Where are doctors freaking out if they have the right equipment? How many doctors and nurses are "freaking out" in Germany for example? Absolutely none. In the UK where the NHS did not prepare for it and in Italy where the hospitals were already running on fumes, yeah they are freaking out. That does not make the virus more deadly, it just means that people die because mistakes are made in their care.

Thailand is the most prepared country in Asia for an epidemic, it simply would not be Italy mark 2 here.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-timing/italian-scientists-investigate-possible-earlier-emergence-of-coronavirus-idUSKBN21D2IG

https://www.anti-empire.com/italys-lockdown-has-been-a-recipe-for-disaster-has-made-the-crisis-worse/

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/The-evidence-on-Covid-19-is-not-as-clear-as-we-think

I'll just leave those for a bit of light reading, when you have time.

Edited by tomster

40 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I disagree. I don't believe the vast majority of disease experts disagree with me. In fact, I'd say most of them agree. Here's a sample of what the real science reveals....

If any of what you read here doesn't make sense, then please advise so I can alter my point of view... 

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/12-experts-question-covid-19-panic

Here's a sample:

Patients who have been tested for SARS-CoV-2 are disproportionately those with severe symptoms and bad outcomes. As most health systems have limited testing capacity, selection bias may even worsen in the near future.

The one situation where an entire, closed population was tested was the Diamond Princess cruise ship and its quarantine passengers. The case fatality rate there was 1.0%, but this was a largely elderly population, in which the death rate from Covid-19 is much higher.

[…]

Could the Covid-19 case fatality rate be that low? No, some say, pointing to the high rate in elderly people. However, even some so-called mild or common-cold-type coronaviruses that have been known for decades can have case fatality rates as high as 8% when they infect elderly people in nursing homes.

[…]

If we had not known about a new virus out there, and had not checked individuals with PCR tests, the number of total deaths due to “influenza-like illness” would not seem unusual this year. At most, we might have casually noted that flu this season seems to be a bit worse than average.

– “A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data”, Stat News, 17th March 2020

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

I truly hope that you are not THE ANDY, ANDY ANDY.

If some people jump off a balcony, would you jump, too?

Ground floor balcony no problem, my name is Tom.

But honestly sir it's not me blindly following the masses - it's you.

Edited by tomster

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When I want to go looking for informed and expert information on infectious disease policy, I don't go looking at Zerohedge.

Yeah fair enough, that graph with the death rate on it, I take it all back, I was wrong.

Edited by tomster
Sarcasm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This website for health professionals in Europe to monitor trends in morbidity throughout the EU so they can make sure there is "nothing strange going on" for want of a better term.

https://www.euromomo.eu/

You would think that since there is killer superbug virus raging in throughout the continent and it's been almost totally locked down destroying millions of peoples lives, there that there might just be some of variance in those graphs.

You know, something that said we are in the middle of a massive pandemic type thing.

Can't for the life of me why it's not showing any deviation, must be some kind of mistake.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vigilante said:

I saw the writing on the wall when China closed Wuhan.

I couldn't run back home due to responsibilities here

I'm not worrying about the virus per se....I will not go into details as to why.

The secondary effects are my main worry (from the very beginning)

Economic crash, potential food shortages and last but not least, social unrest (incl crime)

The crash is already in motion, the other two no but it's still early days

Take measures to mitigate these effects

The duration of the outbreak will decide how far we will go with the secondary effects

Stress?..yes I have

Neurobion (vit B 1-6-12) works wonders for your nervous system

The odd tipple here and there helps too.

A spiritual outlook of life (if you have it)  helps to see the big picture and to become more stoic.

Good luck everyone

Is that  V    ......   for Vigilante ?

9 minutes ago, tropo said:

Arguing about source and not considering content is very unscientific.

Obviously you won't read it as you have your own sources that you depend upon, so here's another excerpt from the article posted above:

This is the deniers and ignorers thread... I get that... I just don't happen to buy into that illusion.

382481561_2020-03-2822_46_17.jpg.0f9b7d64e1174c44ebac63756081e214.jpg

As of Saturday morning, at least 102,636 people across every state, plus Washington, D.C., and three U.S. territories, have tested positive for the virus, according to a New York Times database, and at least 1,646 patients with the virus have died.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Lucky you.  Chiang Mai is in partial lockdown, so almost everything closed.  I hear BKK, KK, and various other cities are the same.

Yeah, but it is only partial. When going to the airport I was surprised at how normal things looked like in Bangkok on a midweek evening. Before that I had spent almost a week mostly in isolation. Sure, many businesses are closed and there are much fewer people using public transport but there were still people out and about, quite a lot of traffic, albeit considerably less than normal. Let's imagine there was someone without any knowledge about the situation and that kind of person might have noticed something odd about closed shops and fewer people but maybe thought of it as being related to some extra holiday.

29 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When I want to go looking for informed and expert information on infectious disease policy, I don't go looking at Zerohedge.

1952248574_2020-03-2621_38_45.jpg.10ab0ba2542f11d4f39aa3a005366340.jpg

1581223202_2020-03-2216_10_34.jpg.7de7aa481b04ec880b2171c03f3ceb78.jpg

1438159452_2020-03-1721_10_42.jpg.9a1d27c54537946aeae292fecc01cf44.jpg

This is amazing. You added statistics which confirms all of what the scientists in my article are saying. Thanks! 

FYI two of the experts are German and both have made a video presentation:

Here's one:

(note: be sure to enable subtitles if or when you watch it)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

I'm in big village/small city in North-east Thailand.

Changes: about 10% of people are wearing a mask. Tesco checks your temperature. 7/11 employees are wearing masks&gloves. That's it!

All shops are open. All business are open. Everything is open. People are going about their normal everyday life. Streets are full. It's only when I check ThaiVisa people are barricading themselves in the houses, raiding food stores and preparing for the end of the world. ????????????

So in other words you are one of the irresponsible who feel that you will be fine but do not care what other people you give it too. You could cause the deaths of some people.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This is the deniers and ignorers thread... I get that... I just don't happen to buy into that illusion.

382481561_2020-03-2822_46_17.jpg.0f9b7d64e1174c44ebac63756081e214.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

You're rubbishing my sources and you offer the NYTimes source in reply. That's rich!

You're not thinking clearly. I am not denying or ignoring anything at all. I just believe that they way it is being presented and handled by most government is wrong. If you did read my source, your eyes would be opened, but I see your sources are very mainstream. Perhaps you'll post a CNN report next.

As promised, here's another excerpt:

Dr Joel Kettner s professor of Community Health Sciences and Surgery at Manitoba University, former Chief Public Health Officer for Manitoba province and Medical Director of the International Centre for Infectious Diseases.

What he says:

I have never seen anything like this, anything anywhere near like this. I’m not talking about the pandemic, because I’ve seen 30 of them, one every year. It is called influenza. And other respiratory illness viruses, we don’t always know what they are. But I’ve never seen this reaction, and I’m trying to understand why.

[…]

I worry about the message to the public, about the fear of coming into contact with people, being in the same space as people, shaking their hands, having meetings with people. I worry about many, many consequences related to that.

[…]

In Hubei, in the province of Hubei, where there has been the most cases and deaths by far, the actual number of cases reported is 1 per 1000 people and the actual rate of deaths reported is 1 per 20,000. So maybe that would help to put things into perspective.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/12-experts-question-covid-19-panic

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tomster said:

So based on 621,626 confirmed cases and 28,658 deaths we get a death rate of 4.6%.

You would agree this is about right, maybe a bit out either way but not too far off where the true value would be?

no,  because many  show  none  or  mild symptoms  which  will  bring  down  the death rate

• Like 2