Anybody else don't care about COVID and ignores it?

15 minutes ago, tropo said:

Yes, indeed... yet you made the suggestion that I don't help, when in fact I'm doing a lot more than you are. In fact I sent money I can't really afford for a food package today.

You were the first who brought up the suffering of people and specifically elderly people, and now you choose to be facetious when I explain that I am helping people.

The disadvantaged I'm speaking of are people suffering specifically under draconian measures the government of the Philippines has implemented. The people lost their jobs. We are discussing the coronavirus pandemic and situations pertaining to it, not poverty in general.

Maybe you could be more specific and rather than calling them people in the Philippines, call them your family or at least your wife’s family that you are helping as many other people on TV do also??  I am sure all over the world people will be helping their families during this period?

1 minute ago, amykat said:

Maybe you could be more specific and rather than calling them people in the Philippines, call them your family or at least your wife’s family that you are helping as many other people on TV do also??  I am sure all over the world people will be helping their families during this period?

Thank you for your concern.

FYI, it was mentioned in a number of posts above the one you quoted that I was helping my wife's family. If I'm helping a large family that is my wife's family, does that not count as help? Saying I'm helping my wife's family does not mean I don't help others too. There's no need to make assumptions. After a major typhoon I sent help for hundreds of people, so I don't always restrict my aid to family members... and I don't normally talk about it either, but another member suggested that I should get out and help people.

Who and how are you helping out Amy?

18 minutes ago, tropo said:

Thank you for your concern.

FYI, it was mentioned in a number of posts above the one you quoted that I was helping my wife's family. If I'm helping a large family that is my wife's family, does that not count as help? Saying I'm helping my wife's family does not mean I don't help others too. There's no need to make assumptions. After a major typhoon I sent help for hundreds of people, so I don't always restrict my aid to family members... and I don't normally talk about it either, but another member suggested that I should get out and help people.

Who and how are you helping out Amy?

If she's anything like my Aunt Amy she's probably more than doing her bit.

• Thanks 1

PS. Before I'm accused of being too negative without proposing a solution, my solution would be to isolate the infected and everyone else carry on as "normal". By all means practice social distancing and avoid large gatherings; wear masks and eye covers, if they can develop a mask that is practical, affordable and actually stops viruses.

The infected would be isolated in special facilities, NOT hospitals, so hospitals can carry on doing what they do.

With locking everyone down, what happens when the lockdown is over and the second wave ( third wave etc ) starts? Keep having lockdowns? That'd really stuff the economy.

This too will pass, and life will resume, but the question is, what sort of life will be possible?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, amykat said:

Well I would love to list it all for you tropo, but since I just recently got laid off from my healthcare related job, I am too busy right now packing for my new assignment with Doctors Without Borders, so I will leave that for another time!!

I hope they are providing hazmat suits for you to use!

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Its waay to political, the important stuff gets buried in seas of stupid noise. Cant wait till its over. 

It's never going to be over, IMO. After this one will be more.

Bankrupcy, unemployment, domestic violence- what will be left to pick up when the lockdown is over, and if the second, third waves come will they lockdown again and again  and again, till there is literally nothing left for society?

The NZ lockdown happened very quickly without much notice. I feel for those that were living in cars off takeaways- no takeaways now, so are they eating cold food out of cans in their carpark of lockdown? Many public toilets closed- great news for truck drivers, not. Highways are going to be polluted end to end at this rate. Seems to me the government has not thought this through, but most politicians probably never had a real job, and no idea what it's like to be poor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, tropo said:

Surely any thinking person would conclude that the measures taken (in Australia) to shut down the entire country's economy and guarantee a depression is absurd in the extreme.

Can't be worse than in NZ.

Apparently tourism is one of the country's biggest overseas income earners. IMO that's gone, for a long time at least.

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm just taking precautions, shopping almost normally. Can still play golf, can't have a swim. Being an introvert, not particularly concerned about staying in my condo. Plenty of music, reading, TV series and films at my fingertips.

I guess the only way I could have a complete mental breakdown would be by taking on board the opinions of some TV posters.

Agree about the TV posters.....I don't ignore any of the fake news....I embrace it and carry on.....with a face mask on....????????????????

45 minutes ago, tropo said:

Yes, most countries are now in a very bad way economically and the collapse has only just begun. 

I used Australia as an example of how the death rate is being misrepresented as I had a complete list of all the deaths and their ages. I remember hearing about the very first death attributed to covid19. A 95 years old women in NSW on March 3.

I was in shock when I heard of this. I was in shock because of how they used a 95 old woman's death as evidence of the spread of a new deadly virus.  

Before all this her death would not even have been reported.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Ignore is too strong a word, I will go along with convention but without the hysterior. No masks in my village so I don't wear one, going to the market town most will wear one so I do. Do I think about covid-19? no, do I think I could get it? unlikely in a village, if so then it is as it is.

Country Thailand (in the sticks) seem to be taking it very casually but what is known is that the 

mass exodus of workers must have carried the virus up there. Another 10 days will be the 

melting point for the villages. I hope they get lucky because from what I have seen that will be all it is,,,, just luck

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can't be worse than in NZ.

Apparently tourism is one of the country's biggest overseas income earners. IMO that's gone, for a long time at least.

I used Australia as my first example, but I want to make a more detailed analysis from another country, that if examined closely, should be enough evidence for people to start questioning the common narrative. 

Population: 109.2 million (12th highest in the world)

Death rate: 654,000 per year, or 1,791 per day, or 75 per hour

Life expectancy at birth: (male and female average): 70 years

Population living below poverty line: 21.6% or 23.54 million

ref: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-factbook/geos/rp.html

Health care system: status: very poor

I have been following the Philippines very closely since first news of this new virus as my wife is from there.

Here are the current figures as of today, March 29:

1641598406_PIcovid19statistics-March29.jpg.c620b5b3fd1abee1c9e6ffdfabafaedd.jpg

In a country with an extremely poor health care system, with 23.5 million living below the poverty line (not able to eat properly), and a daily death rate of 1,791 people, we are told that a total of 68 people have died from a covid-19 infection, since January 30, when the first case was reported.

Here's a news update from yesterday, March 28:

https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/3/28/philippines-covid-19-cases-death-toll-recoveries.html

To save you having to read it, here is the most significant message. This is from CNN Philippines:

======================================================================================================

Elderly patients succumb to COVID-19

Most of the new fatalities are elderly patients from Metro Manila, although the residence of one of them – a 71-year-old man, remains unknown.

Five of the deceased are from Quezon City, two from Manila, one each from the cities of Pasig, San Juan, Caloocan, Parañaque, Taguig, and one from Bulacan province.

Almost all of them have no recent travel history abroad, except for three whose travel details are unknown.

Their ages ranged from 60 to 86. They all had underlying medical conditions such as hypertension, diabetes mellitus, asthma, heart disease, and kidney disease, among others.

=======================================================================================================

When I first heard about this new virus in the Philippines, I expected to see the population decimated, considering how poor the country is and the poor state of the nation's health care system. The first case was reported 2 months ago, yet only 68 have died and all had underlying medical conditions. This is no surprise, as most people over 60 living in the Philippines are in poor health. The average age expectancy of a male is only 66.5 years. Over the same period that 68 people were reported to have succumb to covid-19, 107,460 Filipinos have died from all other causes. Clearly the death rate from covid-19 is a drop in the ocean. There has been no exponential spread.

As a result of the worldwide narrative, the Philippines is now gripped with fear for this virus. People are starting to believe it spreads in the air at night, and all sorts of other crazy ideas. It was suggested by one relative for me not to go out at night as I might breathe it in.

As a result of this fear, the country is in an extreme state of lockdown, and when I say extreme, it's incredibly strict with full night time curfew throughout the whole nation. There is no more public transport allowed by land, sea or air. All roads are barricaded. Grocery stores in my wife's home town restrict 5 items per customer. They need to queue up outside. Markets don't allow food purchase unless you're wearing a mask (nevermind that masks are hard to find and many residents don't have money to buy them). All residents in every barangay are monitored (health check) and listed on a chart that must be submitted everyday. This is a town on an island with ZERO confirmed cases.

Most people have lost their jobs and rely on food handouts from their local municipalities. A lot of people who were already very poor will likely die of starvation. "Draconian" does not adequately describe the extreme measures the Philippine government has gone to in an effort stop the spread of covid-19, which has killed 68 elderly and already sick individuals in 60 days.

OK, so all this is going on right now... Duterte, who has been cosying up to the China since he became president in 2016, was sent a personal letter from Xi Jinping, not to worry - we have your back. We are ready to help - just ask. China will gladly spend billions to help the Philippines.

So draw your own conclusions. Call me a "whack job conspiracist" if you wish, but start digging deeper. Start questioning what is going on - your life and future may depend on it.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2020 at 1:01 PM, Berkshire said:

Hmmm....it's impossible to just live a "normal everyday life."  Many of the things that I normally do is just not available due to closure.  I have no fear of the COVID and I'm definitely not having a mental breakdown.  But my quality of life is suffering for sure.  And it sounds like this will go on until at least the end of April.  I may become an alcoholic by the time this thing runs its course.

Spot on , my view too.  Already a 'Virus over let's party' on the way .  Looking forward to normal service will be resumed .....   day after tomorrow.

#&$#!!! It's people like you who make this situation last Sooo much longer than it needs too.  I hope when your normal life possibly end you up in the hospital for ANY REASON,BY The hospital turns you away cuz there outta space!

Andy, would love to leave but you can't just get up and go now. Almost total travel ban, no flights and a bit difficult to leave your family behind when you hold one nationality and your wife holds another. Visas aren't being processed for foreigners in almost all countries and the prospect of being forcibly quarantined at a government facility after landing home doesn't appeal very much.

With all the intrusive checkpoints, face mask wearing laws and thermo scanners everywhere, I'm not going out unless absolutely necessary (other than within my local community) until at least May or whenever these measures are loosened. It's scary to be living under martial law. The 'virus' is nothing, but the control system...now that's frightening. Plus the way locals are being suspicious of each other and foreigners to boot. Doesn't make a good mix. We'll just have to ride it out until things start looking better.

• Like 1