British Airways

Jumbo1968

15 minutes ago, dlclark97 said:

You say you have plans to travel to Thailand 12 May.  There is no guarantee at this time that the country will even be open for foreigners to enter Thailand.  And, there is also the probably need for a $100,000 USD medical insurance policy covering COVID 19 as well as a probable medical certificate stating you are free from any infection.  Mush of Asia has closed their borders to foreigners entering unless you are an Ambassador or in certain other categories.  If this is a holiday I would make other plans, most likely in your home country as other options may not be available for some time.

That has since been changed to "no foreigners" except work permit holders and diplomats with a fit to fly certificate.

I concur that May 12 is a bit too early...there is a chance Thailand could be open again by then but it's too soon after the current end of state of emergency to say for sure.

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

So it didnt occur at the start of March when everyone else was bailing that you might do the same ?

Or even only 2 weeks ago ??  Zero sympathy for people claiming they're stranded. If you are you'll be there till next year thats becoming very clear

Father died on the day back sorry it doesn't fit your zero sympathy and you can shove that where the sun never shines in your one size fits all theory ???? 

Discussion in today's 'Australian' suggests half the world's airlines will no longer be with us post CoVid. Those that do will be those that enjoy government support and those (not many) that are not up to their eyeballs in debt already.

And the recovery will be SLOW (12 months +), tending to be domestic or local in the first instance, and probably in the longer term a 'normal' rather different from the one we knew.

• Like 1

The only people allow to fly into Thailand at the moment are Thai nationals as the numbers of people are going up I can see this ruling being extended for a few months so I think it would be better to cancel and get your money back

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Voucher is worth zero if the airline goes bust

Go for MONEY refund,not voucher which could become worthless. If you paid by credit card under the consumer credit act the card company is jointly liable for non delivery of goods or services. Contact them and put in a claim for refund on your card. 

4 hours ago, Chivas said:

So it didnt occur at the start of March when everyone else was bailing that you might do the same ?

Or even only 2 weeks ago ??  Zero sympathy for people claiming they're stranded. If you are you'll be there till next year thats becoming very clear

Can you tell me the exact date as you seem to know more than airlines, governments and the WHO.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Discussion in today's 'Australian' suggests half the world's airlines will no longer be with us post CoVid. Those that do will be those that enjoy government support and those (not many) that are not up to their eyeballs in debt already.

And the recovery will be SLOW (12 months +), tending to be domestic or local in the first instance, and probably in the longer term a 'normal' rather different from the one we knew.

Interesting to see if the govt would bail out Virgin Australia or let it go belly up. If only Qantas is left, expect sky high domestic fares again.

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

The only people allow to fly into Thailand at the moment are Thai nationals as the numbers of people are going up I can see this ruling being extended for a few months so I think it would be better to cancel and get your money back

It is better to wait the airline to cancel it, if unable to fly. If it is a cheaper ticket cancellation fees are very high. If the airline cancels it they shouldn't charge cancellation fees.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Bailed out by who?

British Airways is wholly owned by IAG a Spanish company that has 25% of it's shares owned by Qatar Airlines.

Airlines have been looking to the UK government for support but quite rightly the government is reluctant to put taxpayers money into companies that have significant foreign investment.

IAG is an Anglo-Spanish company that was formed when BA & Iberia merged.

BA was a far bigger airline at the time with less debt & the split was 55% in BA's favour.

IAG is independent though & it the actual parent company.

It's based in London & Madrid with it's HQ in London in what was/is the BA HQ in Watersides which in turn is planned to be demolished if the UK government was sucessful in being allowed to build a third runway at Heathrow (now seemingly unlikely)

I owned shares in BA & used to get 10% discount which were transferred to IAG which I meant to sell at Xmas & buy Canopy stock, that milk is well spilt now.

50 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Interesting to see if the govt would bail out Virgin Australia or let it go belly up. If only Qantas is left, expect sky high domestic fares again.

I gather (same source a couple of days ago) that Singapore Airlines is sniffing around the soon-to-be virginal corpse.

1 minute ago, Tongjaw said:

On March 22nd the OP posted something similar regarding his flights to Thailand. He received quite a few helpful answers but it appears he’s not taking any notice. 

The situation has changed since my original post, B.A. have now emailed me asking if I wanted a voucher or reschedule my flights. I am now asking does anyone know what the value of the voucher is and is the better option to reschedule my flight. My original post was what I should do.

Presuming you are in the UK, stay there and wait it out for next 6 months.  It will only get worse in the LoS as the govt. still isn't addressing it as a national emergency. 

Even with the mess in UK at the present, you will do better there vs Thailand.

Build up cash, get a refund if you can.

15 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

Presuming you are in the UK, stay there and wait it out for next 6 months.  It will only get worse in the LoS as the govt. still isn't addressing it as a national emergency. 

Even with the mess in UK at the present, you will do better there vs Thailand.

Build up cash, get a refund if you can.

[govt. still isn't addressing it as a national emergency. ]

Erm... make s#it up yourself much????? .......  ‘National State of Emergency’ was declared a couple of days ago.

https://www.nationtahailand.com/news/30384733

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The majority of answers on your previous post where telling you to stay put in UK and not travel to Thailand. No one knows how long this will go on for or if any airlines will survive it. If it was me I would be staying at home and get a visa extension for your gf and son, or better still get a British passport for your son so only one Visa extension to worry about. 

Here take a read at this. It was posted on the 26th. Google is your friend sometimes. 

https://www.businesstraveller.com/features/british-airways-how-to-cancel-rebook-or-get-a-refund-on-your-flight/

14 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

The majority of answers on your previous post where telling you to stay put in UK and not travel to Thailand. No one knows how long this will go on for or if any airlines will survive it. If it was me I would be staying at home and get a visa extension for your gf and son, or better still get a British passport for your son so only one Visa extension to worry about. 

Here take a read at this. It was posted on the 26th. Google is your friend sometimes. 

https://www.businesstraveller.com/features/british-airways-how-to-cancel-rebook-or-get-a-refund-on-your-flight/

Thanks for the info.

I was due to fly out on the 31st March, but decided to hang on and of course BA have now cancelled that flight.  Anyhow my (Bangkok based) travel agent says that they are to resume on the 1st of May.  As someone else has mentioned that is also the date that the BA website shows as being the first available for travel.  (She also told me that I could reschedule up until August rather than for a full year).

Having said that, the only reason I am decided to return that early is because I have to get back for work. If my trip was for leisure I think I would do as others have suggested and wait for them to cancel it, and then think about whether it's a good time to go if they don't. 

3 hours ago, Slip said:

I was due to fly out on the 31st March, but decided to hang on and of course BA have now cancelled that flight.  Anyhow my (Bangkok based) travel agent says that they are to resume on the 1st of May.  As someone else has mentioned that is also the date that the BA website shows as being the first available for travel.  (She also told me that I could reschedule up until August rather than for a full year).

Having said that, the only reason I am decided to return that early is because I have to get back for work. If my trip was for leisure I think I would do as others have suggested and wait for them to cancel it, and then think about whether it's a good time to go if they don't. 

I wouldn't rely on anything resuming at any given date at the moment. The situation is very fluid and changing constantly.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SidJames said:

IAG is an Anglo-Spanish company that was formed when BA & Iberia merged.

BA was a far bigger airline at the time with less debt & the split was 55% in BA's favour.

IAG is independent though & it the actual parent company.

It's based in London & Madrid with it's HQ in London in what was/is the BA HQ in Watersides which in turn is planned to be demolished if the UK government was sucessful in being allowed to build a third runway at Heathrow (now seemingly unlikely)

I owned shares in BA & used to get 10% discount which were transferred to IAG which I meant to sell at Xmas & buy Canopy stock, that milk is well spilt now.

I am well aware of the merger. Not sure what you think you mean by IAG being independent, they are a holding company which means they have no operational activity. BA is the largest of the 5 airlines they own.

IAG is a public company registered in Madrid and is effectively owned by Qatar Airways with about 25% of the shares. It was Qatar that stepped in with aircraft and crew to save BA during the cabin crew strike.

On 3/27/2020 at 11:02 PM, Captain Monday said:

My best bet is no travel to Thailand will be possible until June 1. I cant return home on April 1 as planned 

and that is my guess. I would take the voucher and reschedule your "Holiday" later.

Bill Gates figured the US citizens might be getting of the house by June or July (end). What do you think about Thailand?

Since at least the start of March, anyone thinking they could go on a vacation anywhere abroad, and actually be able to get back home, has been delusional.

If anyone still doesn't understand where all this is going, allow me to decipher the current dance moves.

All governments feel the need to ease their citizens into the idea of a lockdown.

At first they say it will be for a couple of weeks, and you will still be able to go outside for exercise, and to the shops. Honestly, we just want to flatten the curve a bit.

Then, once everyone is actually locked down, they start flying various kites to judge whether people will be able to handle the truth. Oh, it might actually be as much as six months, says some minister in casual remarks that can be disavowed later if politically necessary.

Meanwhile the media is deployed to amplify an agreed set of messages - this is no time for discussion, that will only confuse the public. The newspapers photograph people out doing perfectly normal shopping and publicly denounce them of not taking the lockdown seriously and endangering the lives of others.

News stories that highlight how young people can die too are elevated. Articles by survivors describe in graphic detail how painful the experience was. The television keeps drumming it in and, predictably, people become terrified.

Journalists who raise the alarm that personal liberties are being extinguished, possibly permanently, are demonized (for example, Peter Hitchens in the UK).

All of this prepares the public (as one prepares meat) for the inevitable reality of a full lockdown, with no going out for any reason, not even walks in nature well separated from other people. All "non-essential" citizens will be prisoners in their own homes, waiting for their weekly delivery of rations.

So, no one in any country should expect to be going anywhere for at least six months, because it will take at least that long to eradicate an endemic infection. Amazingly, that appears to what certain countries are now trying to do. I expect all other countries will come under tremendous pressure during April to follow the same extreme path.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 1

I received a cancellation email last night for my April Japan Airlines flight Tokyo to Shanghai booked with Avios.  The loophole described upthread to get a refund instead of a voucher online for a cancelled Avios booking appears dead.  I called the USA British Airways line and was told I will get a full refund in about 14 days.  Total time on the call  ~10 minutes.  If the UK wait times are bad consider calling the USA BA number during USA business hours.

If flight is cancelled, dont opt for vouchers/ rebooking. Dont waste time /money phoning/ emailing the  airline or agents.

Do one thing and one thing only, contact the credit card company or Paypal assuming you paid via this method. Open a claim/ request a refund... end of. Get the money back first through them. Re-book at your own leisure in the future.