Visa Health Insurance for Thailand

doggie1955

So what is a good visa insurance to get here in Thailand, I see we now need it to get a visa to stay here for one year.

What insurance company's do I deal with, and who do I not waste my time on? And what is it going to cost me $$$ per year.

You need to make a distinction between a good health-insurance policy that will cover you in case of any catastrophic health events, and the health-insurance policy that is required by thai authorities to stay long-term in Thailand on a Non Imm O-A retirement Visa and subsequent extensions.

These thai IO-approved policies are exorbitantly expensive for the almost worthless coverage they provide.  And subscribing to such a policy should simply be regarded as buying an entry-paper to meet the health-insurance requirement when applying for or extending your Non Imm O-A retirement Visa.

Considering that the thai IO-approved policies are content-wise as good as worthless, you should - when you want to apply or extend your O-A Visa - go for the cheapest policy available.  Luckily since 1.5 month there is now a somewhat affordable thai IO-approved health-insurance policy available (offered by LMG Insurance and which charges an annual premium between 6.000 and 11.700 THB depending on your age).

When you APPLY for the Non Imm O-A Visa (can only be done in your home-country) there is also the option that if your present insurer provides international coverage, that he fills in and signs the Thai Insurance Certificate stating that your policy meets the thai requirements (400K in-patient and 40K out-patient).  However, as that TiC refers to thai legislation most insurers are not willing to sign such a document, so that's only a feasible option if you have good personal relationship with your insurer.  Note: And the option is only available when applying for the O-A Visa, once you need to extend your Visa (after 1 or 2 years) it is mandatory to take thai insurance.

As a result of the above, many O-A Visa holders are switching to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.  The requirements/conditions when applying for an extension of stay are IDENTICAL for an O-A or an O Visa, but the O Visa does not require that mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance policy.

>> I PM-ed you a comprehensive guideline document outlining all details/options on how to apply for or convert to such a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

• Like 1

What type of visa do you have? Insurance is required only for O-A and O-X visa. Unless you are already here on an O-A you should avoid these visa types and thus the insurance requirement which mandates  you buy from one of specified Thai companies.

You should still have insurance, of course, but get it from a reputable international insurer.

If you entered on an O-A visa, are a;ready here and need to extend it then you have no choice but to get from one of the companies on the Imm list. What is your age, and do you plan on remaining in Thailand for the rest of your life? As the answer to these 2 things will greatly narrow down the options.

if in doubt check the visa in your passport. An O-A visa will have been issued by a Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad and will clearly say O-A.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

You need to make a distinction between a good health-insurance policy that will cover you in case of any catastrophic health events, and the health-insurance policy that is required by thai authorities to stay long-term in Thailand on a Non Imm O-A retirement Visa and subsequent extensions.

These thai IO-approved policies are exorbitantly expensive for the almost worthless coverage they provide.  And subscribing to such a policy should simply be regarded as buying an entry-paper to meet the health-insurance requirement when applying for or extending your Non Imm O-A retirement Visa.

Considering that the thai IO-approved policies are content-wise as good as worthless, you should - when you want to apply or extend your O-A Visa - go for the cheapest policy available.  Luckily since 1.5 month there is now a somewhat affordable thai IO-approved health-insurance policy available (offered by LMG Insurance and which charges an annual premium between 6.000 and 11.700 THB depending on your age).

When you APPLY for the Non Imm O-A Visa (can only be done in your home-country) there is also the option that if your present insurer provides international coverage, that he fills in and signs the Thai Insurance Certificate stating that your policy meets the thai requirements (400K in-patient and 40K out-patient).  However, as that TiC refers to thai legislation most insurers are not willing to sign such a document, so that's only a feasible option if you have good personal relationship with your insurer.  Note: And the option is only available when applying for the O-A Visa, once you need to extend your Visa (after 1 or 2 years) it is mandatory to take thai insurance.

As a result of the above, many O-A Visa holders are switching to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.  The requirements/conditions when applying for an extension of stay are IDENTICAL for an O-A or an O Visa, but the O Visa does not require that mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance policy.

>> I PM-ed you a comprehensive guideline document outlining all details/options on how to apply for or convert to such a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

Thank You for all your help!

1. I do have a Thai wife for the last 5 yrs.

2. I did have a visa before showing that I had over 40,000 baht in the bank per mo. (letter from my U.S. Embassy) now the embassy is not doing that anymore.

3. Just open a Bangkok bank account last month, was told I need to wait 6 month before I apply for a new visa showing 40,000 baht per mo. in Thai bank.

4. Did a Non-O visa with the Thai consulate in Savannakhet, were I need to leave the country every 90 days.

5. Will be working for a Thai Company from Bangkok growing medical cannabis/hemp next month in Phichiclok, Thailand. Been growing over 40 yrs now.

6. And I am 65 yrs old. Ret. U.S. Army.

I hope this info helps with what I am trying to do, and need to do. So far I have got some great info from you guy... Thank You!

Edited by doggie1955

If you did an O visa in Savannakhet then there is no insurance requirement to do an extension based on that. However as I assume you know, you cannot now leave the country so you may have to request special 30 day extension of your extension of stay ends before travel restrictions are lifted. You may need an Embassy letter to do that. For more information please see the Visa sub-forum.

You should of course get insurance for your own protection, but you are free to get it from any company you like, not limited to Thai companies on the Imm list.

That said, at age 65 your insurance options are limited. I suggest you contact AA Broker  www.aainsure.net for advise.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, doggie1955 said:

1. I do have a Thai wife for the last 5 yrs.

In that case you have additional options to stay long-term in Thailand, than when you are retired.

And if your Visa is based on being married to a thai national, the mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance is NOT applicable.

That insurance is only required when applying for the 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country, or when applying for the 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement.

2. I did have a visa before showing that I had over 40,000 baht in the bank per mo. (letterIf  from my U.S. Embassy) now the embassy is not doing that anymore.

So you were staying in Thailand before on a Non Imm O - marriage Visa.
You can apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - marriage Visa in country at your local IO, which is what you probably did before (because when applying at a thai consulate at a neighboring country there are no financial requirements to be fulfilled).

And indeed, the US, UK and Australian embassies don't issue income-statements anymore, which means that that particular way of meeting the application requirements for the Visa and extension is not possible anymore.

However, it is still possible to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - marriage Visa at your local IO using the 400K money-in-bank method or the 40K monthly-income transfers method.

In the last month of those 90-days you can then apply for a 1-year extension. 

You would need to show either:

- 400K on a personal thai bank-account seasoned for 2 months (and staying there till your application is approved),  After your application is approved you can use the 400K as you please, and only need to have 400K again 2 months before you apply for your next extension;

- at least 2 monthly-income transfers of 40K to your personal thai bank-account; during the 1-year extension you need to continue those monthly-income transfer, and would need to show that on average 40K has been transfered during every month of the year (some IOs don't understand and hence don't allow the averaging and require at least a transfer of 40K monthly) 

3. Just open a Bangkok bank account last month, was told I need to wait 6 month before I apply for a new visa showing 40,000 baht per mo. in Thai bank

They provided you with incorrect information.

When applying for the 90-day Non Imm O - marriage Visa at your local IO you only need to show either

- 400K on a thai bank-account in your name only (the money only needs to be there on the day of application);

- at least 1 monthly income transfer of at least 40K from your foreign bank-account to your thai bank-account (some IOs require at least 2 monthly income transfers when applying).

4. Did a Non-O visa with the Thai consulate in Savannakhet, were I need to leave the country every 90 day.

If you apply for the Non Imm O - marriage Visa in a thai consulate of a neighboring country (e.g. Savannakhet, Laos / HCMC, Vietnam / Penang, Malaysia) you can choose either a 90-day SingleEntry Non Imm O - marriage Visa (2.000 THB) or the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O - marriage Visa (5.000 THB).

The latter allows you to stay periods of 90 days in Thailand during the Visa validity.  After 90 days you would then have to leave Thailand, and on return be stamped in again for a new 90 days permission to stay.  You can also apply for a 60 day extension of stay at your local IO for reason of visiting your thai wife.  When timed right, you can thus get almost 17 months of long-stay in Thailand on that 1-year ME Non Imm O - marriage Visa.  

The application requirements abroad for both the 90-day as well as the 1-year Non Imm O - marriage Visa are identical (only difference being the application fee for the Visa of your preference).  And there are NO financial requirements for applying (but of course you need to provide evidence of still being married to a thai national).

Note: With the 1-year ME Non Imm O - marriage Visa there is no need for yearly extensions at your local IO (which can be an ordeal when you have to deal with a rogue IO), no need for keeping money in a thai bank-account, no need for re-entry permits and no need to do 90-day reporting. 

When you often travel outside Thailand or live close to a border-crossing or international airport, the 1-year MultiEntry Non Imm O - marriage Visa is therefore a very attractive option.

5. Will be working for a Thai Company from Bangkok growing medical cannabis/hemp next month in Phichiclok, Thailand. Been growing over 40 yrs now.

When you are staying in Thailand on a Non Imm O - marriage Visa, you can apply for a Work Permit.  I am not familiar with the details/conditions for doing so, but @ubonjoe for sure can provide you with the necessary info on that one.

Be aware that working in Thailand without permission and the correct Visa documents, is a very risky undertaking which can get you banned from staying in the country.

6. And I am 65 yrs old. Ret. U.S. Army.

Since you are 65 years of age, you can instead of staying on a Non Imm O - marriage Visa, also apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

The financial requirements are much higher and stringent for the retirement Visa than for the marriage Visa.  But there are some married retirees that prefer the retirement Visa as the admin requirements to apply for that Visa and its 1-year extension of stay, are way simpler.

In a previous message I already provided you with all the info to apply for such a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

= = = = =

As retired US Army you are probably insured under the army health-insurance scheme.

But as mentioned higher the mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance is ONLY required when applying for or extending a Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement, which will not be applicable in your case.