Thailand's Covid-19 cases might almost double in a few days: dean

Jonathan Fairfield

I think Thailand will be great for you.  You will learn a lot of lessons, in fact you might become a totally different person after a decade or so, if you can last that long!!  Citizenship...yes, I am sure Thailand would love to have you, just apply after you cash out of the US.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i just heard about a Brit in Vietnam kept in hospital for 3 weeks, covid 19 positive but no symptoms, he should be able to self isolate out of hospital, makes you suspect money is a motive, i hope Thailand isn't the same

And have you seen how low the infection rate is in Vietnam. Doesn't tell you something as well?

If the facilities are available, isolating every known case is, by far the best way to beat this virus. It's how Singapore beat malaria back in the 1960's.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/2020/03/28/vietnam039s-covid-19-cases-rise-to-169

Edited by Moonlover

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

We have a similar situation in our village near Sakon Nakhon. There are no cases within the province so far, our nearest being in Nakhon Phanom, 90kms away. We have 9 returnees, all hunkered down in isolation and supplied with food donations from the village.

Our Phoo Ya Ban is a 'no nonsense' lady  who keeps order and also keeps the village well informed. I'm actually very impressed by the way the whole community has responded. There've been no social gatherings and the one funeral (none covid related) was a very low key event.

They've got the message all right.

I have to agree, there are a lot of comments on TVF stating, without evidence that Thai people are irresponsible and would not follow the guidlines.

Great to see a post from someone with first hand experience that debunks those comments.

Regarding the Phoo Yai Ban being a "no nonsense" lady, it is the same where I live, I have, and will continue to do as she instructs as I have been married to her for the last 10 years.

I take my instructions from "her outdoors".

Stay safe.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigBadGeordie said:

I have to agree, there are a lot of comments on TVF stating, without evidence that Thai people are irresponsible and would not follow the guidlines.

Great to see a post from someone with first hand experience that debunks those comments.

Regarding the Phoo Yai Ban being a "no nonsense" lady, it is the same where I live, I have, and will continue to do as she instructs as I have been married to her for the last 10 years.

I take my instructions from "her outdoors".

Stay safe.

One swallow doth not a summer make (Shakespeare as I recall).

Porridge is lumpy as is custard (well it is the way I make it anyway), one instance of Thais acting responsibly does not negate all the times they act like numpties, though it should certainly be noted and encouraged. A journey of 1000 miles begins with one step but let's not assume it's more then a single small step.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

One swallow doth not a summer make (Shakespeare as I recall).

Porridge is lumpy as is custard (well it is the way I make it anyway), one instance of Thais acting responsibly does not negate all the times they act like numpties, though it should certainly be noted and encouraged. A journey of 1000 miles begins with one step but let's not assume it's more then a single small step.

Valid point, well made.

But I am, and always have been, a glass half full person.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Niteowl45 said:

First off, hard to judge a race by isolated examples.... many people are taking this seriously everywhere and just because some idiots misbehave in Thailand it doesn't mean it applies to entire nations.

And the world pandemic was caused by wet markets in China, and the greed of the morons trying to monetize wildlife (oblivious to the dangers they exacerbate by mixing different species in tiny cages).

The pandemic was caused by superstitious and greedy chinese peasants dude....nothing else, hate on the west all you want, but the west is paying the price of third world stupidity, at the end of the day.

Tom (plumber), Dick (truck driver), and Harry (brick layer) never take responsibility because they suffer from Dunning Kruger Syndrome. Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, and even a poor country like India is able to contain it so far but Tom, Dick, Harry is still blaming China for their own leaders failures.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, stuhan said:

9000 by mid April if it follows trend.Hope not.

Let’s hope we can be so lucky with such a low number! Then again what’s reported and what is real is a function of free availability of tests, tracking and tracing of the infected and clarity of reporting. Maybe it will also remain at 1000.

Edited by jasonsamui55
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ParkerN said:

I wonder why he's wearing one of those useless surgical masks. Trying to send a message perhaps?

in case there is feedback (cough) from the P.A. 

There's really only 2 Groups...

- those who are doing the right thing

- and those that are Not

Other scientific evidence has indicated that the Black Death may have been viral in origin. - says Britannica, that's a virus! 20- 200 millions died prematurely - originated in China.

On 3/28/2020 at 4:06 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Covid-19 cases in Thailand might jump to 2,000 people within two weeks

At the moment of writing (29MAR20) Thailand's number is 1388; in 2 weeks it will be a multitude of that... Way over 2000 before the week is over.
Yes, I am not a professor, just using common sense and my bullsh*t detector :coffee1:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Timuk99 said:

No tests equals no oroplem right?

Recently reading - over 1000 confirmed by testing, but another 3-4k waiting for their tests... I reckon officially we can assume at least 3000 real infections as a bare minimum with quite a few that'll pop up over the next 2-4 weeks. The curve continues...

On 3/28/2020 at 8:29 PM, Ron jeremy said:

Can u tell us how the people came to your village?

travelling alone ?

i think not!

so people infected continue to travel on public transportation!

infecting others!

I am reliably informed that as one in 175000 gets the infection, and the fact that you are a long way from Thailand, we should be OK.

For those that think wearing a mask is useless, are you coughing and sneezing into

your arm everytime, and does the Thais around you do that as well?

If you have a mask on and cough or sneeze at least your spittle is contained, and not getting on people or surfaces.  THINK about it!  Of course if you do not have a cold or flu or this virus, well then,  good luck, keep your health, and also keep your distance from me.

Thanks.

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889
errors

21 hours ago, Niteowl45 said:

First off, hard to judge a race by isolated examples.... many people are taking this seriously everywhere and just because some idiots misbehave in Thailand it doesn't mean it applies to entire nations.

And the world pandemic was caused by wet markets in China, and the greed of the morons trying to monetize wildlife (oblivious to the dangers they exacerbate by mixing different species in tiny cages).

The pandemic was caused by superstitious and greedy chinese peasants dude....nothing else, hate on the west all you want, but the west is paying the price of third world stupidity, at the end of the day.

So they tell me.

But I don't buy it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Traubert said:

So they tell me.

But I don't buy it.

How about the general panic, buying into that as well?

Seems we are supposed to believe every word that we are told now - despite knowing for a FACT how unreliable the source is!

How quickly times have changed, fear does strange things to people!

Funny that he didn't say people who already have serious symptoms with no known contact with COVID patients or high risk areas.  That is probably the vast majority of serious cases by now, since it is already rampant in the community.

I don't find these projections very useful when we still have no access to trustworthy data on the number of cases, deaths etc and will probably still not have in two weeks time to compare with his prediction.

On 3/28/2020 at 4:51 PM, mfd101 said:

Thailand the exceptional country ...

My understanding is that, once testing gets properly under way, the numbers infected double about every 3 days. If I've got that right, then 9000 by mid-April is way lower than we can reasonably expect.

My understanding is these test kits , will not be made available , to the people .

And then...

Edited by elliss