Virus fallout - ex's business may close.

simon43

Humans have been retarded and wanting to protect the weakest link without regards to consequences for the past couple decades..

and now we all suffer for it.

No child left behind: applied to the world economy

Edited by bearpolar
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

negotiate with the landlord. The business has been there since 2012. They know the viability. See what can be arranged.

My mother-in-law became unemployed after the business she managed, since before 1990, went out of business because the slow down. It relied heavily on Asian tourists. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

We are not charging any rent for month April 2020 for all our long stay tenants. See how it goes May ?

I'm looking for a room from april 1  .....   preferably a penthouse 

thanks

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

This sounds crazy but she could even offer to rent it to the government to set up a hospital

inside if things turn ugly.

Not crazy at all but believe might be a market outside of government for those found Covid-19 positive (if testing increases there will be a lot not needing hospital but needing to isolate) - with most places shuning such people believe it might be viable.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Girls will be on the game ASAP corona passes until then only the reckless falang will partake

I believe I just read a story about a pool party in Chiang Rai.

There appeared to be 10 young Thai male customers (and 12 females) partaking of that Gentlemen's event.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Many landlords in Chiang Mai not charging rent for the near future. There seems to be the consensus of "we're all in this together". Whether the banks and corporate investors go along with this, waits to be seen.

My landlord in BKK doesn’t appear to have gotten the memo.  He has even lost 5/12 tenants inside of a month.  I told him that rents appear to be crashing and I may very well be the 6th...deposit be damned.  

No offer yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monomial said:

We are now in a similar situation. No income due to the effects of the virus, and no way to make our mortgage payment. We can probably cover April, but will not be able to pay in May.

people like you deserve to go under if you haven't even got enough savings to cover your mortgage for more than 1 month. that is the height of stupidity and irresponsibility. 

Edited by Metapod
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 8

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

My ex certainly expects nothing from the government - she is not into 'handouts'.  Although the business has always been profitable, she (like many others from Issan), has a moral obligation to help her family (in this case her mother), financially.  Yonks ago, her mother mortgaged her house/land to loan sharks to pay for a younger daughter's university education.  My ex is still paying the never-ending interest, and as you know with Thais, blood is thicker than water, so the advice from a farang is not heeded ????

I've told her to negotiate with the landlady.  Nothing else I can do - it's not my business.  But if it all goes 'south', then I'll try to help (not financially) as a friend.

That's all you can do

Some people dont like handouts myself included however these are difficult times and businesses need to take care of themselves

Maybe ask your ex GF to negotiate with the Landlord with the arrangement for a 3 month deferral of the rent however that to be then paid back over 12 months - that way it is not a handout

Same with loans from the Government - these are loans not handouts

In situations like this we sometimes need to swallow our pride and ask for help -

there is no shame in this at all

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, simon43 said:

My ex certainly expects nothing from the government - she is not into 'handouts'.  Although the business has always been profitable, she (like many others from Issan), has a moral obligation to help her family (in this case her mother), financially.  Yonks ago, her mother mortgaged her house/land to loan sharks to pay for a younger daughter's university education.  My ex is still paying the never-ending interest, and as you know with Thais, blood is thicker than water, so the advice from a farang is not heeded ????

Also, the hospitality sector has been on a decline for years, so annual profits have been declining for that period.  Where there used to be only 1 Phuket Airport hotel (my first hotel) listed on booking.com, now there are more than 100 establishments.....  I'm sure glad that I got out of the hospitality business ????

I've told her to negotiate with the landlady.  Nothing else I can do - it's not my business.  But if it all goes 'south', then I'll try to help (not financially) as a friend.