BANGKOK
Isaanbiker

Friend on Non- O ME Can't Do Border Run. What's Possible?

Posted (edited)

A friend who lives in Surin will soon have to do his visa run, but all borders are closed.

He's on a Non- O ME, based on marriage to a Thai woman. 

My apologies if the topic is already running somewhere. I didn't see it. 

Could he just go to the Immigration in Surin and get it extended? Is the Chom Cho Immigration near the border open?

Thanks for any suggestions. I'll forward them ASAP.

Edited by Isaanbiker
Hurry, bring out the dead!

AFAIK, he has to leave every 90 days under his (presumably Non-Imm 'O' visa ME based on marriage). 

I am not aware that Thai Immigration have made any dispensation to overrule this requirement. It is not like an extension of a visa, it is the requirement to leave after 90 days.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

AFAIK, he has to leave every 90 days under his (presumably Non-Imm 'O' visa ME based on marriage). 

I am not aware that Thai Immigration have made any dispensation to overrule this requirement. It is not like an extension of a visa, it is the requirement to leave after 90 days.

But he can't leave. He tried Laos and Cambodia, both borders were closed. 

P.S. It says it in the headline that he's on a Non-O ME. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1

Just now, Denim said:

I believe he can get a 60 day extension at immigration just before his 90 days expire.

Ubon Joe will be along with the details but I think his wife might need to go with him when he applies. However, I am nearly always wrong  on these things so you will have to wait for a more definite answer.

What makes all to a joke is that he was told that people over 60 are not allowed to leave their houses. ( He lives in Surin/Isaan) 

His visa is still okay for a couple of months, but I don't think that his wife could apply for a visa visiting her. 

He needs to leave in 10 days. The two months option seems to be great, but I've read that not all IO issue it. 

60 day extension to start normal procedure doesn't need an embassy letter. Then if still needed after the 60 days Embassy letter and I believe he can get another 60 days on that sure someone will correct me if wrong on second 60 days

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, fourpack said:

60 day extension to start normal procedure doesn't need an embassy letter. Then if still needed after the 60 days Embassy letter and I believe he can get another 60 days on that sure someone will correct me if wrong on second 60 days

Thank you very much. There must be many people on such type of extension of stay.

Does anybody know if the Chom Chom IO at the border is open these days??

Edited by Isaanbiker

2 minutes ago, fishtank said:

60 day extensions are routinely given if you have Thai family.

They have always been available.

Take the Wife with you/him.

Thanks, will tell him right now. 

2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Thank you very much. There must be many people on such type of extension of stay.

Does anybody know if the Chom Chom IO at the border is open these days??

Surin Immigration is at Kap Choeng just up the road.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Surin Immigration is at Kap Choeng just up the road.

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

Borders are closed, and if you could get an international flt out....good luck trying to get back in ! No idea how the extension can be done in the event of Imm offices being closed.

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, mancub said:

Borders are closed, and if you could get an international flt out....good luck trying to get back in ! No idea how the extension can be done in the event of Imm offices being closed.

Immigration offices are NOT closed. 

Can we have some more information on this updated marriage certificate.  Did your immigration office insist upon this? What was written on the certifcate?  This is the first ive heard of this requirement.