Friend on Non- O ME Can't Do Border Run. What's Possible?

A friend who lives in Surin will soon have to do his visa run, but all borders are closed.

He's on a Non- O ME, based on marriage to a Thai woman. 

My apologies if the topic is already running somewhere. I didn't see it. 

Could he just go to the Immigration in Surin and get it extended? Is the Chom Cho Immigration near the border open?

Thanks for any suggestions. I'll forward them ASAP.

Edited by Isaanbiker
Hurry, bring out the dead!

AFAIK, he has to leave every 90 days under his (presumably Non-Imm 'O' visa ME based on marriage). 

I am not aware that Thai Immigration have made any dispensation to overrule this requirement. It is not like an extension of a visa, it is the requirement to leave after 90 days.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

AFAIK, he has to leave every 90 days under his (presumably Non-Imm 'O' visa ME based on marriage). 

I am not aware that Thai Immigration have made any dispensation to overrule this requirement. It is not like an extension of a visa, it is the requirement to leave after 90 days.

But he can't leave. He tried Laos and Cambodia, both borders were closed. 

P.S. It says it in the headline that he's on a Non-O ME. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1

Just now, Denim said:

I believe he can get a 60 day extension at immigration just before his 90 days expire.

Ubon Joe will be along with the details but I think his wife might need to go with him when he applies. However, I am nearly always wrong  on these things so you will have to wait for a more definite answer.

What makes all to a joke is that he was told that people over 60 are not allowed to leave their houses. ( He lives in Surin/Isaan) 

His visa is still okay for a couple of months, but I don't think that his wife could apply for a visa visiting her. 

He needs to leave in 10 days. The two months option seems to be great, but I've read that not all IO issue it. 

60 day extension to start normal procedure doesn't need an embassy letter. Then if still needed after the 60 days Embassy letter and I believe he can get another 60 days on that sure someone will correct me if wrong on second 60 days

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fourpack said:

60 day extension to start normal procedure doesn't need an embassy letter. Then if still needed after the 60 days Embassy letter and I believe he can get another 60 days on that sure someone will correct me if wrong on second 60 days

Thank you very much. There must be many people on such type of extension of stay.

Does anybody know if the Chom Chom IO at the border is open these days??

Edited by Isaanbiker

2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Thank you very much. There must be many people on such type of extension of stay.

Does anybody know if the Chom Chom IO at the border is open these days??

Surin Immigration is at Kap Choeng just up the road.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mancub said:

Borders are closed, and if you could get an international flt out....good luck trying to get back in ! No idea how the extension can be done in the event of Imm offices being closed.

Immigration offices are NOT closed. 

1 minute ago, CFCjeff said:

Can we have some more information on this updated marriage certificate.  Did your immigration office insist upon this? What was written on the certifcate?  This is the first ive heard of this requirement.

What do you mean?

If you're talking about the two months visa for visiting your wife, it's working.

You need the original marriage certificate and a copy of it.

And your Thai wife. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

What do you mean?

If you're talking about the two months visa for visiting your wife, it's working.

You need the original marriage certificate and a copy of it.

And your Thai wife. 

Some guy reported that his immigration office needs an updated marriage certificate ans well as the old one to get the 60 day Non O extension for visiting the wife which I found very odd as never herd of that before?.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, time2093 said:

Some guy reported that his immigration office needs an updated marriage certificate ans well as the old one to get the 60 day Non O extension for visiting the wife which I found very odd as never herd of that before?.

It is not a updated marriage certificate. It is a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry.

A printout of it can be requested at any Amphoe they will stamped, dated and signed.

• Like 1

This has been covered lots in the past and a Non Imm O multi entry is a perfectly valid visa to live in Thailand if you need to leave on a regular basis for work. 

OP, as UbonJoe said, a Kor Ror 2 is to certify that you are still married and is needed at most Imm offices. He can also get a 30 day extension, followed by a 60 day extension being married. 

A 1 yr extension is just an extension of the last permission to stay stamp, it not a permit or a visa !!  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A printout of it can be requested at any Amphoe they will stamped, dated and signed.

A Kor Ror 2 was not asked for at Kap Cheung immigration office when I got a 60 day extension last Monday.  

22 minutes ago, PST said:

So do you think immigration will be more lenient with o holders now applying for their first extension based on marriage using the 2 months 40k method if their embassys don't issue income certificates, as that is more an option than having to find  400k at short notice

Nobody said they will be more lenient.... the requirements are already defined, albeit they likely will still vary around the country. 

Just now, jacko45k said:

Nobody said they will be more lenient.... the requirements are already defined, albeit they likely will still vary around the country. 

I didnt say they would be lenient, i was asking if people thought they would be.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Hi Joe. My problem is we are not in the same Amphur we were married in. I could but it  will be hard for her to travel there.  

11 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Hi Joe. My problem is we are not in the same Amphur we were married in. I could but it  will be hard for her to travel there.  

As I wrote before the Kor Ror 2 printout can be requested at any Amphoe. It certainly does not have to be done at the Amphoe where you registered your marriage.  You rwife can get one by showing her ID card, completing a form and paying 20 baht to get it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As I wrote before the Kor Ror 2 printout can be requested at any Amphoe. It certainly does not have to be done at the Amphoe where you registered your marriage.  You rwife can get one by showing her ID card, completing a form and paying 20 baht to get it.

We used our Australian marriage certificate for my visa, do we need to register our marriage first ? or can she just request Kor Ror 2 ? 

I only have just over a month before i need to do my extension.

5 minutes ago, ndreamer said:

We used our Australian marriage certificate for my visa, do we need to register our marriage first ? or can she just request Kor Ror 2 ? 

I only have just over a month before i need to do my extension.

If you married in Australia then a local Amphoe would have no record of that foreign marriage and therefore unable to provide any proof of marriage registration. (Kor Ror 22 in the case of registering a foreign marriage).

7 minutes ago, ndreamer said:

You would not be able to get a Kor Ror 2 since your marriage was not registered here.

If you registered your foreign marriage at an Amphoe you would get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry. You don't have time to do the registration now and many Amphoes have reduced the services they are doing now. Your marriage certificate must be legitimized, translated to Thai and  certified by Department of Consular affairs in Bangkok also.

You should be able to apply for a 60 day extension at immigration with only your Australian marriage certificate at most immigration offices.

What are people opinion on the x2 40k marriage option for yearly extensions based on the current situation?, less likely, or will immigration be more lenient? getting 400k together quickly is alot harder than 2 months of 40k transfers.