Mail incompatibility ?

Maybole

My granddaughter tried to Email me some photos taken with her smartphone without success.

She is using an Apple smartphone and GMail, I am using an old Acer laptop with W7 and Firefox browser. My EMail account is with Hotmail.

Granddaughter's device shows that they were sent normally but I did not receive them.

Are there reasons for this ? What can I do to retrieve the photos ?

is she sending them as an attachment or embedded in the text?

i've been having problems with hotmail recently, loads really slowly, emails with photos in the text often don't display the picture, just  >image instead.   i try to reload or try again later.

something with the new outlook update?  i see now it's getting bloatier, when it loads it searches your hard drive and lists your most recently opened files in the left column.

First, I'd highly recommend you dump Hotmail.

Ask her to look in her sent mail on her computer (!!) not phone to see if it's really been sent.

She might have been at the attachment limit. She pushed button therefore sent. Didn't notice or throw off error.

Break the attachment into two email. Send over WiFi. Must be killing her data package.

The internet is creaking under weight of dumbass people stuck at home watching videos.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Maybole said:

Email me some photos

Often there is a 10 MB limit for emails. If the camera on her phone has a high resolution she can send maybe 2 photos as an attachment with 1 email. Sending more photos can giv eproblems. Hotmail is also very unreliable. You can better move to gmail.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

Ask her to look in her sent mail on her computer (!!) not phone to see if it's really been sent.

She might have been at the attachment limit. She pushed button therefore sent. Didn't notice or throw off error.

Break the attachment into two email. Send over WiFi. Must be killing her data package.

The internet is creaking under weight of dumbass people stuck at home watching videos.

Am I a dumbass because I watch videos or am I a dumbass because I'm staying at home?  I guess I could be a double dumbass for doing both simultaneously.   Sigh... at least I'm using WiFi.

• Like 1

If you don't mind Google having access to your photos they provide unlimited storage.  Photos are stored in a high resolution format but not the highest.  I can't tell the difference until I magnify them substantially.

If you sign up for a free Gmail account, you will automatically have access to Google Photos.  You can also share your photos with family members (but I forget how many).  There is an Apple iPhone app, an Android app and both Windows and Macs can access all your photos through a web browser that is signed into your Gmail account.  Google Photos automatically grabs all my iPhone photos into my Photos library.

17 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Am I a dumbass because I watch videos or am I a dumbass because I'm staying at home?  I guess I could be a double dumbass for doing both simultaneously.   Sigh... at least I'm using WiFi.

In your sarcasm the advice has gone over your head.

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

In your sarcasm the advice has gone over your head.

An assessment based on nothing.  I'm curious how you KNOW that was over my head.

I ignored your advice because it was very reasonable and needed no comment.

I was hoping you would realize calling others dumbass was unnecessary.  What were you hoping to accomplish by using that criticism?

Edited by gamb00ler

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think to be fair he didn't call you or anybody here dumbass. 

I fully realize that he didn't refer to anyone in particular.  But, there will probably be members of this forum that are sitting at home watching streamed videos.  Why criticize anyone doing that particularly during a time when it is probably safer to be at home?

20 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

An assessment based on nothing.  I'm curious how you KNOW that was over my head.

I ignored your advice because it was very reasonable and needed no comment.

I was hoping you would realize calling others dumbass was unnecessary.  What were you hoping to accomplish by using that criticism?

Are you sitting at home around stuck on YouTube, FB, Insta, etc? Absolutely braindead entertainment. If the shoe fits wear it. If not then that's not you. I didn't state you were a dumbass but rather people utterly consumed with ephemeral social media. Maybe that is you and why you're so upset.

Highly advise with all that time on the internet you use some of it to teach yourself how to resolve simple technical issues. Sorry I bothered.

On 3/29/2020 at 1:36 AM, Number 6 said:

Why?

Works for me although I agree with the other poster  that recently it has not been loading as well as it used to.

On 3/29/2020 at 1:25 AM, ChouDoufu said:

something with the new outlook update?  i see now it's getting bloatier, when it loads it searches your hard drive and lists your most recently opened files in the left column.

What exactly do you mean by "outlook update"?

Outlook/hotmail via a web browser I am not seeing any list of files? 

6 minutes ago, topt said:

What exactly do you mean by "outlook update"?

Outlook/hotmail via a web browser I am not seeing any list of files? 

left column, under the blue "new message" button.

currently there are three menus - favorites, folders, groups

hit favorites and it displays (i'm guessing) the most recent stuff you've been accessing.  right now, it shows me three email folders and one contact.  on other days, it displays different items.  at times, it displays the most recent word or excel files that i opened.

is this new?  i didn't see it before the most recent windows update, so i'm guessing microsoft added some new tentacle that reach into your hard drive and access more of your history.

now that you reminded me, i googled it.

one response "It's a new "feature" that is rolling out to outlook.com users. As far as I know, it cannot be disabled or turned off. "

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/files-has-appeared-on-left-pane/4c931752-e662-4efa-99b5-66a0315c91e6

more details.....it was "files" that listed previously sent attachments.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/subject/forum/category/topic/9b218618-7f69-4651-b748-356d75ebd83c

Edited by ChouDoufu

5 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Highly advise with all that time on the internet you use some of it to teach yourself how to resolve simple technical issues. Sorry I bothered.

You seem to be obsessed with my computer skills or lack thereof.  I only have several decades of IT industry experience so please don't worry.  From writing device drivers to designing and implementing EMS dispatch systems, I've taught myself quite a range of skills.

I wasn't the OP and I don't have any issues with my computers other than wrestling with Windows lowest common denominator design.  It only resides on my hardware because I can't get a satisfactory replacement program that runs on Mac or Linux.

Edited by gamb00ler

11 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

now that you reminded me, i googled it.

one response "It's a new "feature" that is rolling out to outlook.com users. As far as I know, it cannot be disabled or turned off. "

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/files-has-appeared-on-left-pane/4c931752-e662-4efa-99b5-66a0315c91e6

more details.....it was "files" that listed previously sent attachments.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/subject/forum/category/topic/9b218618-7f69-4651-b748-356d75ebd83c

Thanks because I definitely do not see what you have.

My left pane is toggled to the bottom so "files" is not actually showing unless I click on the ... I think not just sent but received attachments as well. Never looked at it before!

Quite possibly the picture size in bytes is too large.  Hotmail has a 10MB attachment size limit and Gmail 25MB.  Pictures taken in a high resolution can be LARGE "MB-wise."  And if attaching several such pictures per email that can easily exceed 10MB real fast.  Have the granddaughter looks at the MB size of each picture to ensure she does not exceed 10MB total per email.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/attachment-size-limits-outlook-gmail-yahoo