SURVEY: What are you doing to prevent Covid-19?

Scott

SURVEY: What are you doing to prevent Covid-19?  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, RBOP said:

Health officials say 90% compliance is required to flatten the curve. So we are doomed according to this survey. Curfew tonight?

I am currently working in New Jersey on a defense military contract.  We are deemed an essential part of the Defense Industrial Base so the facility and hundreds or thousand like it are still open around the country.  At work, they encourage work at home, but I work in a classified lab testing electronic systems so we can't take that home.  At work they closed the conference rooms.  In the lab production testing room, it is tight quarters.  6 or 7 of us literally sit in each other's lap throughout the day as we twiddle the scopes, hook up the probes, log in and log out of the classified test computers etc.  Then some of those people get near other workers etc.  The cafeteria is open so hundreds of us at one time or another pass through or near other people.  Now imagine that throughout the USA at all the big defense contractor facilities:  Northrop in Melbourne FL has thousands on site.  Lockheed Orlando, or Fort Worth at the JSF plant, all the military bases and headquarters around the USA, etc.  So probably 100 million are going to and from work every day.  New Jersey and New York shut down so many businesses, restaurants, nail salons etc.  All I think that does is put stress on the blue collar working class.

Today Fauci the Institute of Health Dr, said he agrees with opening things up if the data shows the "curve" flattening.  However he admits they have no idea what the curve is!  And until you collect and show and plot the data, you would not know where things may stand.

• Like 1

What is bad is they do not release many details on the deaths.  Today in NY a young doctor died.  He looked like a young healthy guy.  But researching on line, one finds out he was HIV positive.  No AIDs symptoms so he had things under control, but obviously he was in a Virus risk group.  So many elderly of course have been reported as the most vulnerable and affected.  But many people in Louisiana, while not on the headline news, were obese, not in generally good health, were smokers, had horrible diets, little proper medical care leading up to the virus.

My point is, hopefully agencies will now push forward a "stay in good health" to help prevent or mitigate ailments.   158,000 Americans a year still die from lung cancer, 80% of which are voluntary smokers is just one example. 

I grew up with fitness in mind.  The old fashioned Boy Scout Handbook had a fitness section, and maybe growing up watching the Tokyo Olympiad when live international "live via satellilte" was fascinating helped.  Used to watch Jack Lalane on our black and white TV.  Moderate weight training, ran cross country, Tae Kwon Do for so many years, can run five 6 minute miles with a little training and preparation, good fresh foods not MacDonald's diet, non smoker,   very light drinker, etc.  Put on a few pounds the last few years as my desk job while profitable and earned me enough money to retire, I sure got lazy.

Then some exposure to Buddhism (thank you Thailand) Meditation, visits to the Hsilai temple in Los Angeles and frequent peaceful visits to whatever local Thai Temple near wherever I am working.  Good for the mental aspect of positive brain health

Bottom line:  Boy Scout Motto:  Be Prepared!

• Like 1

When I go out

I wear a real N95 masks I bought from Amazon.

Use hand sanitizer as needed and generally try not to touch anything especially my face.

Wear Latex gloves when shopping and throw them away when done.

Avoid other people as much as possible

Go out an hour to two hours a day to exercise in unpopulated areas

Wear glasses to protect my eyes.

When I return

Thoroughly wash my hands

Use saline for nasal irrigation.

Wash my mask which I use for a week then replace. It is a washable mask but I only use it for a week.

Clean or wash my keys, clothes, glasses and phone then dry clothes in the sun.

Wash anything I bought and cook it at home after cleaning.

Take a shower.

Continue exercising and surfing the net. 

Possibly over kill but better safer than sorry.

• Like 1

Never been busier. Cut and polished 2 cars, countless small fix it jobs around the house, running, swimming, playing primary teacher, working from home, started decorating the house.

Hope this goes on for at least another month, so much to do!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, RBOP said:

Health officials say 90% compliance is required to flatten the curve. So we are doomed according to this survey. Curfew tonight?

Yes, it's curfew time in Pattaya after 22:00 as there is absolutely no reason to go out because everything is shut.

The hardest part for me was to decide to stop my son playing outside - as some of the other kids aren't very aware, and two of their mothers are busy out shopping to sell stuff in the moobahn for a profit and have no problem leaving their kids to go out and play together and visit each other's household.

Whilst everyone's getting eggs locally now, the kids also more likely to be picking up covid from her...

Excercise - 15 minutes quick walking around the moobahn at 7.30am and again at 5.30pm, otherwise stay home, read books, homeschooling maths (arithematic), watch TV.

I went to Tesco last week - very nice and quiet, easy to steer more than 2 metres clear of anyone, but they had no broccoli so I'll stick with Makro next time (maybe next month). I'm not worried about visiting the 7-11 when I need to, I'll just wait until there aren't more than a couple of folks in there...

We have a market in the soi, for fresh veg, so when my cilantro gets nasty (lasts a good week in the fridge) I'll go pick up some more there.

I don't recieve any change in cash as I have tons of ready cash and heaps of 50's 20's and coins... so I think the only way we'll get this is if his mother brings it home. She has no choice other than to carry 3 other people from her office in the car when she finishes work - imagining her office is another 'household' if one gets it, they'll probably all be exposed before anyone knows.

Good news is she swears they are also staying home and not taking or making any visits.

23 hours ago, phetphet said:

Stuck at home all day, but first thing every other morning I go on my motorbike, masked up with alcohol wipes in hand to the supermarket for bread, milk and groceries. No one in there early.

ROFL huge effort, only go out every 2 days... bread lasts more than 2 days, and a gallon of milk is certainly good for more than a week...