All Phuket beaches closed

All Phuket beaches closed

By The Phuket News

1585411488_1-org.jpg

Local residents and tourists enjoying Nai Harn Beach. Photo: Phuket Lifeguard Service

PHUKET: All beaches in Phuket have been closed by order of the Phuket Governor to combat the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus.

The order, following the decision of the Phuket Communicable Disease Committee, which Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatana chairs, came after 8pm tonight (Mar 28).

The order is effective immediately, and will remain in effect until at least April 10.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/all-phuket-beaches-closed-75488.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-03-29

Back from my morning beach run. At Patong beach all same like every morning.

Shaole, beach cleaners, walkers, runners but no more beach business like jet ski and beach chairs.

Keep it this way then it's great.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

But then another Governor said they can't close the beaches, as they are federal land belonging to the ministry of interior and they have no jurisdiction over it...

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, stevenl said:

There's hardly anyone there, 5 meters social distance is easy.

With a curfew in effect this decision doesn't make any sense to me.

agree, yesterday afternoon on kamala, no chairs, no jet skis, no massage

nothing but the sea an sand and less than 100 people.
its was nice

Just had a look  at Kamala, if you did not read thaivisa or go online, u'd not know the beach is closed,

No signs, people out in the water, kayaking, walking along the nearly empty beach..

Cant see them stopping anyone

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 2

The best part of the announcement is the decision to close Phuket Zoo and all other shows involving animals.

I assume Phuket Fantasea did close after initially flouting the rules. Can someone confirm?

Edited by madmitch
  • Like 2

On the way to get groceries, I drove down Patong beach road. The only people I saw were a few lifeguards - no people, jet skis, etc. I would have thought some of the few remaining tourists might not had heard of the closure. Perhaps the lifeguards were telling any people that came to the beach that they should leave. I was surprised no one was there.

I noticed that each end of Bangla road was barricaded and had a police officer stationed there. Very, very few people out. Big C had a few customers and the shelves are still full.