why can't people stay alone ?

soalbundy

I think a large majority of people are alone or with just family or friends/roommates and doing what is right. Why does the OP think it’s soo different?  I gave the sad icon. I think his rant was sad and incorrect.  Stop watching the horrible negativity coming out of CNN and off the pages of the Washington Post and New York Times and yes TVF. From Bangkok to Boston it’s easy to self distance and still take a walk, hang out at home and to know that MOST are doing exactly that! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rabas said:

You completely confuse being alone and being with yourself. Black and white.  Although I do have friends, I have no better friend than myself and I am never alone. Myself would never dream of being a serial killer and I would never let him. 

The people you are thinking of are alone even in the presence of others.

People with a split personality , ( being schizophrenic ) , are never alone ... even if alone physically  .

PLEASE do not take that personal ! I do not mean you ! ( Just what came to my mind reading your post ... )

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Like 1

I have just finished reading all the posts from page 5 to 7 and I have to say that I am surprised about how many Forum members have developed their own private philosophy different from what people are taught to believe ...

I am impressed ! would have never thought this .

Thanks to all for giving some hope for the future of mankind to me ...

Every man or woman should have their ' values ' in a life that are defined by their own philosophy ...

Will open a thread about it , but need to do some meditation first ...

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, kenk24 said:
21 hours ago, robblok said:

On parties i talk too much,

usually a symptom of loneliness... or too much to drink.. or both

Happens to me too, it's normal imho, for people, to go to parties, talk too much and drink too much.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Something very wrong with people who cannot stand their own company.

says a lot about a person.

Not wrong just different what is wrong is taking the moral high ground and saying I'm better because I'm not wrong!Just like I'm doing now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, SAINT THOMAS said:

I know this from my Dogs spirit passing through me a few minutes after she died in my arms as an Orb some 20 years ago, at that time before seeing photos of spirit orbs online, I used to explain it to family and friends that it was no bigger then a softball and no smaller then a baseball, very calming, peaceful and cool in temperature as it passed through me. 

I had a similar experience with my old dog that got poisoned here in Thailand .

At one time a few years ago , my heart suddenly stopped beating for a few seconds ( no idea why ... ) , I wondered what happened to my old and faithful body , I knew something very scary was happening , but it was more like you are driving in your car , and the motor just stopped without reason ... my mind was analysing the situation when the heart started beating again .

Our body is just a machine we are living in ... what defines ourselves is in our mind , and that is what ( should ) control our body .

I believe ( you can laugh about it ... ) that there is a fifth dimension , a spiritual one ... it can't be measured or proven , therefore , for scientists , it does not exist .

But there is a lot in Universe that we do not know about ...

• Like 1

I know this from my Dogs spirit passing through me a few minutes after she died in my arms as an Orb some 20 years ago, at that time before seeing photos of spirit orbs online, I used to explain it to family and friends that it was no bigger then a softball and no smaller then a baseball, very calming, peaceful and cool in temperature as it passed through me. 

I had a similar experience with my old dog that got poisoned here in Thailand .

At one time a few years ago , my heart suddenly stopped beating for a few seconds ( no idea why ... ) , I wondered what happened to my old and faithful body , I knew something very scary was happening , but it was more like you are driving in your car , and the motor just stopped without reason ... my mind was analysing the situation when the heart started beating again .

Our body is just a machine we are living in ... what defines ourselves is in our mind , and that is what ( should ) control our body 

Cant the above 'experiences' be due to your mind grieving at the loss of a beloved pet? Yes, our mind can do many strange things, I believe.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

One of the things that is amusing to me is that most farangs with only the Thai wife at home tend to want to yak my ears off when they get out of the house.....cannot stand to be alone....poor buggers....????????

you have obviously never met my Thai wife ,she loves to chat and talk about things with me ,must be all those years she spent in the UK made her westernized,????

29 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Happens to me too, it's normal imho, for people, to go to parties, talk too much and drink too much.

add in repetition [not sure why drunks continually re-tell the few lines of a minute ago] and I guess that is why I don't go to parties... but, if you enjoy that sort of thing, good for you... 

More about it...

The past few decades have produced important advances in our understanding of how the brain regulates emotion and cognition. In comparison, research on the neuroscience of human social behaviour is a relatively neglected topic in spite of the importance of social interactions for mental health. In this editorial, I give examples of some of the experimental approaches that have been used to study the neural substrates of human social behaviour in the hope that this will stimulate more researchers to become involved with this fascinating and important topic.

Humans are inherently social. We are not special in this way; it is hard to think of any animal for whom the regulation of social behaviour is not important.

Full article

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

add in repetition [not sure why drunks continually re-tell the few lines of a minute ago] and I guess that is why I don't go to parties... but, if you enjoy that sort of thing, good for you... 

Where did i say that 'i enjoy that sort of thing', assuming much ?

On 3/29/2020 at 10:03 AM, Curt1591 said:

Used to love hopping in my 4x4, heading across the desert, and not encountering people, or even pavement, for days at a time. 

I don't think that's same as a 14 days ordered self isolation. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, car720 said:

I have 2 other interpretations, though your comments are spot on as well.  Firstly, the Chinese call them Shao Huangdi, 'little emperor/ess.  Spoiled from birth so simply know no better.  Secondly, I believe it has a lot to do with the current trend of women making their living off child support and getting rid of their husband to do it.  Man the hunter, woman the gatherer and now millenials the super gatherers.

Very good points mate - didnt think of that. The trend towards snowflake prince/ess has been happening for a while and would definitely add to the underlying psychological issues.  And you are so right about the new 'female gatherers' and I would throw the single feminists in there too.  I dont feel sorry for those ones - 'suck it up' I would say to them. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rod the Sod said:

I largely live alone. I have never had a problem with that. I could go out, have a stroll, drive somewhere for lunch, sit by the river....in fact I could do whatever I felt like. I could leave Thailand and spend time in my house in France and it's large garden and orchard. I could take a short trip to somewhere new and interesting. All I had to do was decide how I felt and then do it. I have found the last few days very uncomfortable though. In trying to work this through and understand why I have a build up of panic from time to time is now clear to me. It is because that freedom of choice has been taken away. If there had been no CV I am not sure that I would have done anything really different over the last week, it is the fact that I don't have the choice. It is not helped by the fact my wife is stuck in Jakarta. Normally that would be OK, but it is the fact I cannot fly there and she cannot fly here that is causing the stress. Strange isn't it? I would describe myself as a person of very strong resilience, but I had one very iffy day last week when I felt a surge of panic. I am over that now and I am getting my brain into gear about the new reality of our lives. I do however feel the OP has absolutely no right to judge anyone or how they deal with this very disturbing phenomenon in their own way.

That surge of panic you describe, is a constant for those with OPD when they are, or they feel, alone - and believe it or not that can happen to them even when they are amongst a lot of people at an event/party.  As I just said in my last post, I have no concern for the prince/ess or the feminist 'man eaters' - but I do feel for those people with severe OPD.  Hopefully social media and telephone/video calls are available to them to at least help with the distress they are experiencing.  

• Like 2

Not to derail the post but similar question, When Buddah holidays or special event like this Corona Restrictions occur I see so many TV posters screaming about closing the bars  they can;t  drink.  For those that need to drink why can't they stock up and drink at home? Is there a desperate need to sit with others in order to drink? I ask because I have never drunk alcohol but if I got to a point I needed it I could stock up and drink at home, why the need to do with others around?

• Like 1

I do love having my girlfriend come to stay, but I am glad she has work in another province. I am an artist, the painter/printmaker sort, photography included. I can't create with another person in the house. Even though she may be quietly reading or cooking something delicious. The only time she can be there while I am working is if she is part of the process, ie modelling.

However, at the moment I am stranded in the Philippines. I was to be here for two weeks only. My scheduled flight was cancelled and then Thailand close the borders to foreigners. So I am now on my own in a room in Cebu city.

It's too early to know yet, but has there been any official word about that April 30 date for the the foreigner lock-out? In the meantime, I am searching for health insurance policies (needed for tourist visas?) and will get a medical cert for virus clearance.

But otherwise I'm pretty much in the dark.

Stay safe everyone. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 15.29.48.png

Edited by TechnikaIII
  • Like 1