BANGKOK
carlyai

Pool Pump Capacitor Explosion Help

My pool pump capacitor exploded yesterday. Other times this has happened I haven't been here and the electrician replaced the capacitor.

As a result of the explosion, some of the wires were welded to the capacitor. I think I've sorted out where the wires go, but I'm not sure what the black circular thing is with the screw in it. It marking on it are: 391-208-02 L45 which could indicate it's an inductor, but on the top silver plates is written B150R. It has all debris inside from the explosion and I would like to clean it up, but I'm afraid if I undo the screw it might all fall to pieces.

So my questions are: 1. What is it?

2. Should I undo the screw and clean it out or just blow the debris out?

I'm reasonably sure the white wire from the power terminal block welded to the capacitor body goes to one side of the capacitor and run winding, or red insulated wire.

Just thinking that black circular thing could be a thermal cutout, as not sure why an inductor would be in there as you want the I to lead V.

Also strangely my contactor didn't trip.

Can you post some photos 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Can you post some photos 🙂

I did.

Will do it again, thanks

20200329_075824.jpg

20200329_075909.jpg

20200329_075958.jpg

20200329_080133.jpg

Hmmm, that went well, in the past mine have just squirted a mystery substance which has gone hard.

I have no idea what your "thingy" is from the photos so I wouldn't take it apart, just blow/brush out what you can.

Hook up your new cap and stand well back 🙂

Does the pump manufacture's website have a parts list? That may help to identify the mystery beast.

• Like 1

Had this happen once with my pool pump a few years ago.  Yes this is a capacitor that's burnt out.  Maybe it was the wrong one, the ones for a pool pump are different than say an AC unit.  Don't ask me why I m not too savvy on electrics.  But there not too much 350-500Bt.

PM me where you are, I have a few very good cheap reliable contacts in the Jomtien/Bangsaraey area be out there to fix it.  Don't fret nothing's that expensive here if you shop about.  Good luck.

Posted (edited)

Crossy thanks that confirms. Yeah the capacitors have a resin in them, that's what had squirted out.

Edited by 19DL86

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Does the pump manufacture's website have a parts list? That may help to identify the mystery beast.

No no parts list that I can find so far. No wiring diagram, not much info.

Also strange the contactor didn't trip. Unfortunately it's been all just humming away for... not sure how long. 😞

I have under and over voltage protection (3 min before reapply) on the power to the pump and chlorinator.  I was outside last week and heard the contactor clunking on and off ever regularly and looked at the phase voltage and it was up at 250 v. 

Also a power supply to my speaker system pre-amp blew up.

22 minutes ago, 19DL86 said:

Had this happen once with my pool pump a few years ago.  Yes this is a capacitor that's burnt out.  Maybe it was the wrong one, the ones for a pool pump are different than say an AC unit.  Don't ask me why I m not too savvy on electrics.  But there not too much 350-500Bt.

PM me where you are, I have a few very good cheap reliable contacts in the Jomtien/Bangsaraey area be out there to fix it.  Don't fret nothing's that expensive here if you shop about.  Good luck.

Thanks for your concern, but I'm in Isaan near Mukdahan. Practising self isolation. 

• Like 1

The electrolyte in capacitors will break down over time - Typical from cheap capacitors - Assuming you can still read the Farad value on the casing and the voltage rating - Buy a new one online - As long as the winding are OK you should be fine.

9 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

The electrolyte in capacitors will break down over time - Typical from cheap capacitors - Assuming you can still read the Farad value on the casing and the voltage rating - Buy a new one online - As long as the winding are OK you should be fine.

And if you buy a new one online better buy one from a brand name company.

And make sure the voltage is at least what you need - better higher.

Capacitors fail over time. Good capacitors fail later.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

Assuming you can still read the Farad value on the casing and the voltage rating

From one of the pics it seems 45 µF ("45 micro[farad]"), 450 V.

Seems somewhat plausible compared to deep well pumps.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Hmmm, that went well, in the past mine have just squirted a mystery substance which has gone hard.

I have no idea what your "thingy" is from the photos so I wouldn't take it apart, just blow/brush out what you can.

Hook up your new cap and stand well back 🙂

Just blowing it out and the top bit rotates in the bottom bit...maybe something to do with adjusting the power factor?

Just now, carlyai said:

Just blowing it out and the top bit rotates in the bottom bit...maybe something to do with adjusting the power factor?

More likely the overheat trip.