ALERT! ‘Bar Beer Soi 6 Pattaya’ and 2 restaurants listed in COVID-19 alert spots

Rimmer

9 hours ago, mikebell said:

Letter in BKK Post today suggests Thai stats are hopelessly skewed; particularly the mortality rates in comparison with proper countries.

The mortality rate calculated: total diagnosed cases / deaths. Many places only test cases when they need hospitalization, like New York: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nyc-only-testing-for-covid-19-in-patients-needing-hospitalization/2336641/

At least 80% of people who are infected do not need hospitalization. If you do not diagnose them then they will not become a diagnosed case but your number of deaths stays the same. This means that your ratio of diagnosed cases / deaths is at least 5 times higher.

Israel, Australia and Germany, which are proper countries and diagnose a lot to find many people with mild symptoms, also have a low calculated mortality rate of 0.37%, 0.42% and 0.86% which is comparable with Thailands 0.59%.

Low mortality rate simply means "high testing rate".

• Like 2

22 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

a letter? from a member of public or a credible expert?

Burin Kantabutra is a highly respected/educated member of the Thai public and his father was in charge of the office for statistics.

This is scary. It is safe to stay home. In end of February. I went to a meeting in Phuket, someone in the building got infected. After I got back to Bangkok, my company ordered to stay in the hotel for 14 days and go to hospital to check prior resume work. At hospital, no one care and don't want to get me diagnose. I believe this is why more and more people got infected.

By the way, I tested "NEGATIVE" ????

On 3/31/2020 at 6:50 AM, mikebell said:

I was with you right up to this last line.  Thailand's low mortality rate is due to its high testing rate?

yes, high testing rate compared to how many infected people you really have (not compared to the total population). Thailand tests people with mild symptoms and therefore finds more of the people who are infected compared to countries that test only people in hospitals.