UK coronavirus death toll under 20,000 would be 'good result' - health chief says

rooster59

2 doctors have died already. They didn't sign up for a war but looks like they have got one nevertheless. To say we in the UK love them is to underestimate that word. When this is finally over we need to richly reward them and not just with our heartfelt thanks but cold hard cash. Branson take note with your greedy outstretched hand from Necker Island a Great Reckoning  is coming. But not now that can wait. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/29/worrying-event-deaths-of-nhs-doctors-from-covid-19-stark-reminder-of-pandemic

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yinn said:

With widespread testing not yet available in Britain and swabs only being given to those in hospital and some NHS critical care staff,

More total  ballcocks, if  you  even "think"  you  have symptoms in the  UK you could go and  get a FREE  (unlike your own govt) test which even if you didnt  have it  WOULDNT have to pay as Thailand was reportedly  doing.

They have been doing this FREE  testing at  many places for well over  a  month................more  FALSE  news with your nationalistic  drivel/trolling thrown in

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd like to know how many died after being ventilated, and how many were just kept on a ward because too old/ too ill etc, and how many never made it to hospital. I hope they are not using normal flue deaths to inflate the Corona total.

There does seem to be a lack of clarity, & although C19 appears to be very contagious, the mortality rate isn't that high.

You're in NZ....right?

3000 + new deaths yesterday!

4 hours ago, Chazar said:

More total  ballcocks, if  you  even "think"  you  have symptoms in the  UK you could go and  get a FREE  (unlike your own govt) test which even if you didnt  have it  WOULDNT have to pay as Thailand was reportedly  doing.

They have been doing this FREE  testing at  many places for well over  a  month................more  FALSE  news with your nationalistic  drivel/trolling thrown in

You seem to misunderstand the issue. It isn't whether tests are free or not, but how available they are. In fact there has been a big shortage of such tests.

NHS not ready to begin mass testing

Britain cannot test enough people for Covid-19, the government acknowledged, as the NHS demanded that frontline staff be given urgent priority.

Doctors and nurses with mild symptoms will be at the front of the queue for testing as capacity is increased, but officials admit that it could be weeks before they get routinely checked.

Frontline staff have complained that they will be forced to stay away for 14 days if someone in their family gets a cough or fever, depriving the NHS of crucial workers.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-capacity-for-routine-coronavirus-tests-of-medics-mmmhvhklg

"The UK now has 3,229 confirmed cases of coronavirus with 144 deaths, at the time of writing. Dr Martin Marshall, chairman of the Royal College of GPs, has conceded there is a “shortage” of COVID-19 testing kits – this revelation comes as the Prime Minister said he wanted to eventually increase the number of screenings to 250,000 per day. Over the past five days around 3,700 people have been screened each day, a total the Government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance has accepted is “not enough”.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1257727/Coronavirus-UK-news-test-kit-covid-19-latest-symptoms-deaths-health-NHS

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

You seem to misunderstand the issue. It isn't whether tests are free or not, but how available they are. In fact there has been a big shortage of such tests.

NHS not ready to begin mass testing

Britain cannot test enough people for Covid-19, the government acknowledged, as the NHS demanded that frontline staff be given urgent priority.

Doctors and nurses with mild symptoms will be at the front of the queue for testing as capacity is increased, but officials admit that it could be weeks before they get routinely checked.

Frontline staff have complained that they will be forced to stay away for 14 days if someone in their family gets a cough or fever, depriving the NHS of crucial workers.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-capacity-for-routine-coronavirus-tests-of-medics-mmmhvhklg

"The UK now has 3,229 confirmed cases of coronavirus with 144 deaths, at the time of writing. Dr Martin Marshall, chairman of the Royal College of GPs, has conceded there is a “shortage” of COVID-19 testing kits – this revelation comes as the Prime Minister said he wanted to eventually increase the number of screenings to 250,000 per day. Over the past five days around 3,700 people have been screened each day, a total the Government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance has accepted is “not enough”.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1257727/Coronavirus-UK-news-test-kit-covid-19-latest-symptoms-deaths-health-NHS

Over 6  weeks  ago a friend  of  mine went on a  cruise around asia, came back with a  cold and   called the NHS  phone number 111?, was told to go straight to the NHS Hospital Queen Elizabeth in Birmingham and  had a test in a specially set up area, then told to stay at home until  she got result, her  husband did the same, I never mentioned MASS TESTING but the  other posts said widespread testing was not available............it is, but  not testing the entire  population at random, if  you have symptoms u can get a test

Edited by Chazar

20 hours ago, Chazar said:

Over 6  weeks  ago a friend  of  mine went on a  cruise around asia, came back with a  cold and   called the NHS  phone number 111?, was told to go straight to the NHS Hospital Queen Elizabeth in Birmingham and  had a test in a specially set up area, then told to stay at home until  she got result, her  husband did the same, I never mentioned MASS TESTING but the  other posts said widespread testing was not available............it is, but  not testing the entire  population at random, if  you have symptoms u can get a test

First off, the response of yours I replied to was about costs. And that was not germane to the post you answered

Who else gets tested for coronavirus?

Before the decision was made to test NHS staff, only seriously ill patients in hospital with flu-like symptoms were being routinely tested for the virus.

Currently, about 6,000 people are tested daily. But by the end of March it wants to test 10,000 people a day, rising to 25,000 by mid-April.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51943612

Anyone who has been in contact with a person who tested positive for the virus should be tested. That's what the Germans, South Koreans and others did to great effect. It's called contact tracing. And no, if you're not symptomatic you can't get a free test.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chazar said:

My sister is an A&E nurse. Every day, she says, more of her colleagues are calling in sick. At the weekend, a drunken youth in A&E spat in her face as police tried to restrain him. To date, she has been unable to get tested. Birmingham may be set up for it, but our preparedness is not uniform across the UK. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

My sister is an A&E nurse. Every day, she says, more of her colleagues are calling in sick. At the weekend, a drunken youth in A&E spat in her face as police tried to restrain him. To date, she has been unable to get tested. Birmingham may be set up for it, but our preparedness is not uniform across the UK. 

Does your sister's A & E have hazmat suits, full face masks etc etc etc?

Nurses are people too, and some may decide they don't want to die because their employer won't provide the necessary protective equipment.

12 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Wish your sister well, hope the guy who spat in her face gets a jail sentence.

• Like 2