COVID: If You're A Fat Bloke Aged More Than 60 ...

BKKBike09

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Damn you a big one. But I dont think you could qualify as hideously obese, ????

I don't think so either;
but the best would be to ask Villagefarang or Bluesofa who know me.

Other members of this forum know me; these are the first two nicknames that came to my mind

By cons I have not yet had the wonderful chance to meet POTY 2019 ;

maybe one day ? :giggle:

Edited by Assurancetourix

18 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Hmmmm over 60 years, fat bloke, and with a  high blood pressure and smoking...Nahhhh don’t worry i doubt our Thai visa forum has any members like that ????????????????.

forgot to mention "angry alcoholic"...LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

Straighten up folks.  Remember the old saying  "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"?  Compassion and empathy and sympathy are nice, but can not help when things go bad

I'm 65, I have seen so many of my generation give control of their health to the "medical" profession, believing they would save them no matter what.

Many mocked me for telling them to take care of themselves, who's laughing now!

Probably makes no difference as we are now all in the same "prison" captives, freedom lost, ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quotes from the first post:

"Average age at admission > around 60 for both groups"

"BMI greater than 25 > Covid 70%; non-Covid 60%"

"Being clinically overweight is also more of a risk factor (good luck in the USA)."

But surely you have to look at the whole population for comparison? According to this data... https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn03336/ (which is for England 2017), for the age group 55 - 64 (trying to match the average age at admission of around 60), 73% were overweight or obese (= to BMI over 25) - this is for men and women but men are more likely to be overweight than women. So if the covid-19 cases include more men than women, yet "only" 70% have a BMI greater than 25, then it could be the case that NOT being fat is a risk factor??? 

18 hours ago, Saltire said:

In my favour I changed my lifestyle more than 2 years ago to ketogenic and now am 20 Kg lighter (45 pounds for my USA friends). Also exercise twice a day (indoors on my treadmill nowadays!) and long stopped any medications. Keto alledgedly improves your immune system so hope that's true.

Self isolatiing for a week now, I believe this is the most effective for a no-longer-fat bloke over 60.

Stay safe

Well I must say, kudos on yer 'new' lifestyle there young feller. I wish some of my friends would do something along these lines. A bit off topic, and I DON'T want to stick me nose into your business/lifestyle. But I hope you're not doing long long periods at one time on yer treadmill ( as some people do ) Research has shown that long periods of jogging tends to SHRINK the hearts of 'elderly' men/women, and cause health problems. You might wanna look into doing HIIT on yer treadmill. just sayin'...Keep up the healthy lifestyle. Sorry if this sounds like I'm trying to tell you how to live yer life.

Edited by UPDEHSOI

9 hours ago, vogie said:

I think that life long longevity is more to do with your genes than keeping fit, there are many athletes that have a shorter life than some of the couch potatoes. I have an irregular heart beat, calcium on the heart valves, had a cardiogram at the Sattahip hospital and the doctor said to me "you have good pump" I thought that'll do me.

My grand father smoked Woodbines all his life and it never did him any harm, mind you he was 27 when he died.

Yes genetics is a factor, but one can make things much worse or better by a lifestyle.  Sure some people live forever on Baloney and junk food.  No doubt about it.  But it is not the way to statistically roll the dice.

47 minutes ago, UPDEHSOI said:

Well I must say, kudos on yer 'new' lifestyle there young feller. I wish some of my friends would do something along these lines. A bit off topic, and I DON'T want to stick me nose into your business/lifestyle. But I hope you're not doing long long periods at one time on yer treadmill ( as some people do ) Research has shown that long periods of jogging tends to SHRINK the hearts of 'elderly' men/women, and cause health problems. You might wanna look into doing HIIT on yer treadmill. just sayin'...Keep up the healthy lifestyle. Sorry if this sounds like I'm trying to tell you how to live yer life.

No apology needed, thanks.

My treadmill routine consists of 2 x 30 minute 'walks' around 4/5 Km/hour sunup and sundown. So in a day I walk around 5 km. I never run. In my 50's i'd run as a fanatical gym member, 5 times a week and all it got me was angina. I was not fat then, but became obese after. I bought the treadmill for the prolongued rainy season here, now it's being used by the wife too. Stay safe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JungleBiker said:

Quotes from the first post:

"Average age at admission > around 60 for both groups"

"BMI greater than 25 > Covid 70%; non-Covid 60%"

"Being clinically overweight is also more of a risk factor (good luck in the USA)."

But surely you have to look at the whole population for comparison? According to this data... https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn03336/ (which is for England 2017), for the age group 55 - 64 (trying to match the average age at admission of around 60), 73% were overweight or obese (= to BMI over 25) - this is for men and women but men are more likely to be overweight than women. So if the covid-19 cases include more men than women, yet "only" 70% have a BMI greater than 25, then it could be the case that NOT being fat is a risk factor??? 

All supports my original comment: "The problem is that statistics are always open to interpretation. "Lies, damned lies, and statistics". In the case of COVID, not enough is known about total number of infections, unlike 'normal flu', where years of data allow for accurate modelling."

Also, I like beer, and I've no plan to stop drinking it yet.  

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Gonna go out for ride on my Blade, country roads and a bit of highway. ????

I rode home last night, no car, or other traffic, no noisy motorbike on bicycle rims.

There are some positive aspects to it. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mike787 said:

Fat+Diabetes+alcohol+cigs= Death even without coivid, but virtually guaranteed death with/by covid.

If people were living an unhealthy lifestyle before COVID, I don't see how this pandemic will change their attitude.  Maybe this COVID is Darwin's natural selection on steroids. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JungleBiker said:

then it could be the case that NOT being fat is a risk factor??? 

This radio broadcast describes the threat to individuals from COVID in terms of concentrated risk.

We will all, regardless of age, experience a years risk in a couple of weeks.

The amount of risk in a year being based upon our personal health/age circumstances.

If you think you'll make it through a normal year you'll probably make it through COVID.

The programme is only about  9 mins long:

More or Less - Covid-19: The risks - BBC Sounds

Edited by Enoon

22 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Im an over 60 year old fat guy so I guess I am doomed. O well. 

most worrying is that each day that prediction becomes more accurate.

1 minute ago, KKr said:

most worrying is that each day that prediction becomes more accurate.

Not in my world, Im panic free and have all the time in the world to read non sensationalist news.

10 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Hmmmm over 60 years, fat bloke, and with a  high blood pressure and smoking...Nahhhh don’t worry i doubt our Thai visa forum has any members like that ????????????????.

well, given that you omit the consumption of beverages of the alcoholic kind, you are probably spot on !

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Not in my world, Im panic free and have all the time in the world to read non sensationalist news.

ditto, I was referring to passing on, not so much to the panic.
and, you'll have to agree, statistically speaking, the prediction that someone will die becomes more accurate by the day or by even by the hour. ????

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You're not doomed, but you do have to ease up on the dishwashers.

Speaking of which, do any of your dishwashers do this for you?

IMG20200329104848.jpg

As I  type these  words!  Just finished my manicure minutes ago.  Any of my ex Aussie wives response to "It's time for a manicure" would be f@lk off and do it yourself! 

IMG20200330100443.jpg

21 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Solly to be the party pooper, but I think it's time for a lot of guys here on TVF to start think about their health and look at themselves really hard as a vehicle, all jokes aside if they are worried about the Covid-19.

If you don't maintain your vehicle, in this example (you), you are going to have problems as we all know vehicles age, apart from normal wear and tear, that said, if you change the oil/s (good oil/s) every 10-15 clicks, your motor should run good for many years to come, same applies for the fuel you use, etc, etc, etc.

Longevity can be achieved by eating well, exercising, maintaining a healthy weight and, drinking moderately, i.e. maintaining the vehicle (you) with the good oil/s, good fuel etc, etc, etc.

Ever heard the saying; your body is your temple ?

Too many of us abuse our bodies because it's too easy to be lazy, it's our biggest excuse, that said, each to their own temple, as for myself, I will keep maintaining my vehicle best I can, because it's not only the Covid-19 out there that we have to worry about, it's the internals of our body that we need to keep looking after so as to fight off, the biggest killers, heart attacks, (already had one 13 years ago) strokes, diabetes, these are a given from how we maintain our vehicle, through the oils and fuels we feed out vehicle, the viruses are just something else.

If our vehicle is running good, and our immune system being part of that, then we have a good chance of fighting off the Covid-19, let alone the bigger killers.

Live Long And Prosper Star Trek GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

You must be incredibly wealthy to be changing your oil every 10 to 15 kilometers :blink:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

As I  type these  words!  Just finished my manicure minutes ago.  Any of my ex Aussie wives response to "It's time for a manicure" would be f@lk off and do it yourself! 

IMG20200330100443.jpg

No offense but you you dudes got some gnarly looking pins.

6 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

No offense but you you dudes got some gnarly looking pins.

True,  but it's what's between the gnarly looking pins that make our wifes happy.....admittedly only 4 or 5 timEs a week now but I  have to cut her some slack now she is middle aged. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

True,  but it's what's between the gnarly looking pins that make our wifes happy.....admittedly only 4 or 5 timEs a week now but I  have to cut her some slack now she is middle aged. 

4 or 5 times per week? Are you on pills?