Thailand reports 143 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death

rooster59

I had a short drive along Jomtien Beach yesterday and the Thais seem to be taking the 'stay at home' message seriously. On the weekend it's normally packed out down there, but yesterday there was hardly anybody, at least down the Wat Bun/Chaiyapruek end where I happened to be. I've got to admit, I was surprised.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GordyS said:

Have you ever been in a Thai hospital?

There are loads of people on oxygen and I've seen people in a real bad way on various occasions, gasping for air.

The doctor's word is never questioned either.

If a doctor tells a Thai person something then that is gospel

Yep, my wife of 10 years works at Bangkok hospital in Khon Kean.

10 minutes ago, Eibot said:

You assume PUI are hospitalized? Why? 

Because the DDC daily reports on COVID break down exactly many many PUI are hospitalized vs the much smaller number supposedly being monitored outside of hospitals.

The hospitalized numbers of PUIs I quote are coming exactly from the DDC's daily reports.

As of yesterday's report on patients under investigation:

--7614 hospitalized

--2200 monitored outside of hospitals

--7326 treated and released

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/file/situation/situation-no85-280363.pdf

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GordyS said:

It doesn't work like that over here

Thailand has one of the highest social media % of the world. Ever been on twitter? I bet you don't know about the commotion about he who cannot be named in Germany. 

Thais in general get their news from Social media. Hence Thailand started testing when a famous actor announced he had Covid-19 on social media. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Because the DDC daily reports on COVID break down exactly many many PUI are hospitalized vs the much smaller number supposedly being monitored outside of hospitals.

The hospitalized numbers of PUIs I quote are coming exactly from the DDC's daily reports.

As of yesterday's report on patients under investigation:

--7614 hospitalized

--2200 monitored outside of hospitals

--7326 treated and released

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/file/situation/situation-no85-280363.pdf

Apologies then. The ICU beds don't to seem affected by this. I wonder was the definition is of "hospitalized"

2 minutes ago, Eibot said:

I do, that's why I get so tired of people here panicking rallying each other up for nothing. 

It’s not for nothing. It’s to help others understand the reality and save lives. 

• Like 2

Just now, monkfish said:

As there is a 14 day incubation period the new cases we are seeing were probably infected before the social distancing measures were put in place.
I would expect an increase everyday for at least the next 10 days.

Why was there a stop in cases between 13/01 and the beginning of March?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eibot said:

Apologies then. The ICU beds don't to seem affected by this. I wonder was the definition is of "hospitalized"

Inpatient with COVID type symptoms in a govt or private hospital...

There's never been any breakdown of ICU bed space/use made public that I'm aware of...other than the daily DDC report of CONFIRMED cases and the number of those considered serious/critical, which currently stands at 19.

But what the above chart also shows is that there are currently hospitalized more than 1150 CONFIRMED cases in Thai govt and private hospitals right now... people who need special care and infection control measures to avoid spreading the virus to other patients and medical staff.

And not that every COVID patient gets put into a negative air pressure room, but one of the Thai infectious disease doctors in a news report here recently estimated that in all of Thailand, there are only about 100 negative pressure hospital rooms period.

• Like 1

Given how many people have fled Bangkok and quiet the streets are I would not be surprised if Bangkok is cleared of the virus before the outlying provinces. Perhaps they will start checking and preventing people from returning there for a while.

Thailand in general is not a nation that prizes independent thought and much more so in Issan. Changing decades of ingrained behavior for a pesky virus that more conveniently can be blamed on superstition or spurious allegations is unlikely. I do not see the communal eating and lack of adherence to hand washing or mask wearing changing there unless forced by the police and military which I also don't see happening unless the numbers really move up.

• Like 2

THat number is out of date...covid has already more than doubled...do the math 5 days incubation X people infected...it's WAY higher than that!!!  Covid is extremely virulent and resistant. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Inpatient with COVID type symptoms in a govt or private hospital...

There's never been any breakdown of ICU bed space/use made public that I'm aware of...other than the daily DDC report of CONFIRMED cases and the number of those considered serious/critical, which currently stands at 19.

But what the above chart also shows is that there are currently hospitalized more than 1150 CONFIRMED cases in Thai govt and private hospitals right now... people who need special care and infection control measures to avoid spreading the virus to other patients and medical staff.

And not that every COVID patient gets put into a negative air pressure room, but one of the Thai infectious disease doctors in a news report here recently estimated that in all of Thailand, there are only about 100 negative pressure hospital rooms period.

Interesting. As far as I know, Bangkok hospital in Khon Kean is not showing any larger influxes than normal around this period. They do have 5 Covid-19 cases in the hospital. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Good news???

I think 143 new cases is the highest single day increase since this started, and if not THE highest, it's right up there among the highest.

And the numbers probably would be much much higher if the government's CV testing were widespread and easy to obtain, which it's not.

There nothing in this that strikes me as good news.

Right now, there's almost 7500 people admitted as inpatients in Thai hospitals with COVID type symptoms, and most of those apparently are still waiting for confirming tests. It's a much bigger problem than just 143 reported new cases in a day.

correct - if they don't test the nearly 10,000 PUI then no report of confirmed CV infection - just look at them for days hoping they will recover then send them home, so how many confirmed cases - only those tested and reported

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eibot said:

Interesting. As far as I know, Bangkok hospital in Khon Kean is not showing any larger influxes than normal around this period. They do have 5 Covid-19 cases in the hospital. 

Any inside information on the government hospital in kk?