Thailand reports 143 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death

rooster59

4 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I suspect he was referring to government hospitals. They are worlds away from bangkok hospital.

The local hospitals are in good contact with each other to assess the situation to take over patient if an influx comes. So far so good so they say. Which is in line with the numbers. I believe around 20k/25k infections, of which mostly are in the Bangkok areas. There will be some influx in the country side for the upcoming weeks but the virus has been brewing in BKK since january. 

5 minutes ago, Eibot said:

Interesting. As far as I know, Bangkok hospital in Khon Kean is not showing any larger influxes than normal around this period. They do have 5 Covid-19 cases in the hospital. 

The wave started in BKK and Chonburi, and is now spreading outward to the various provinces, presumably because of Thais traveling back and forth as they always do.... With the apparent lack of preventive measures being taken by the average Thais out in the provinces thus far, it would be a fair guess to assume the spread and infection rates ahead will be substantial.

The provinces are just lagging behind BKK, just like the U.S. and Europe lagged behind China... But one major difference being, BKK has a substantial amount of public and private health infrastructure available to cope with such things...  The provinces, not so much.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Keep safe, social distancing does not seem to be working.....

Its not even working in Italy with over 800 + deaths per day and that country has been locked down for 3 weeks.....Thailand doesn't have a chance.

simple math

daily confirmed number is more accurately quantified when relative to the number tested

Assuming accurate as stated earlier + - 700 tested to + - 100 confirmed infected or 14% infected

If continuing at current rate the potential for confirmed infections (if blanket testing were to be done) relative to total population of 2020 census 69,799,978 this calculates potential infection well into the millions with death rate again well into the thousands    

To put the 14% into perspective, Australia New South Wales as of 24/03/202 had a rate of .013% confirmed as infected  

for our more pedantic members; apologies in advance for a few broad assumptions and rounding numbers 

• Like 1

curfew wont work here ,especially in the provinces,it appears deaths are low  but testing must start on a wide scale and this is another thing thais cant do,social distancing and self discipline is beyond a lot of males here,its un enforcable.testing to is a cultural problem as the rich wont pay for the poor,they are so entitled,the very richest well lets not even go there.its all quite self evident.10% of their wealth and everyone could test,private hospital ahh the scammers de la creme should be nationalised in regards to treating victims and testing during this period,fat chance so we will bumble along re inforcing all the old prejudices and screwing 90% of is to benefit those who are entitled to be special.BUT when it  is over the whole games changed so do it now while u can and maybe you will retian the privilege but if u carry on like this we may find that indeed the peasants are revolting.thailands/s e asias saving grace will be as for SARS which it resembles very very closely-temp and climate may save africa too

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The wave started in BKK and Chonburi, and is now spreading outward to the various provinces, presumably because of Thais traveling back and forth as they always do.... With the apparent lack of preventive measures being taken by the average Thais out in the provinces thus far, it would be a fair guess to assume the spread and infection rates ahead will be substantial.

The provinces are just lagging behind BKK, just like the U.S. and Europe lagged behind China... But one major difference being, BKK has a substantial amount of public and private health infrastructure available to cope with such things...  The provinces, not so much.

don't forget Thailand was the first country outside of Thailand to contract the virus, and the cases slowly rose. Than it stopped (no testing), and since a famous actor got it, they are testing more. IMHO the virus has been spreading linear (due to climate) for three months already. 

It does not make sense to me there is going to be a sudden exponential explosion of cases in Thailand if there hasn't been already though I'm happy to be proven wrong. Thailand has one of the highest number of Chinese tourists in the world. The virus has been here since the beginning. At first cases were probably misdiagnosed and not reported but I am not seeing proof of exponential growth. I am seeing linear growth and a low death rate.

1 minute ago, time2093 said:

Its not even working in Italy with over 800 + deaths per day and that country has been locked down for 3 weeks.....Thailand doesn't have a chance.

In Phuket in our area it is pretty much socially compulsory to wear a mask. At macro they now insist on it if you want to go in. But it’s also busy inside with people too close to each other for comfort I would say. I don’t know about local markets, I’ve avoided them as I suspect there will be close contact. 

dare I say it, Thais seem to think a mask is a cure all.

1 hour ago, GordyS said:

They have tested less than 20,000 of a population of 70,000,000

Of those 20,000 there are still about 7,000 who don't know the results and are in hospital.

Therefore only about 13,000 people in the kingdom out of 69,000,000 know if they have the virus or not (0.000188 of the population)

Furthermore anybody who has died of the virus via a lung infection or pneumonia who isn't part of the 1388 positive victims is not part of the stats, as there is no testing of postmortem deaths

Let that sink in!

Must be hundreds if not thousands of deaths in the last few months that have been missed due to lack of testing

one of the best posts I have seen on the subject so far and I agree 100% and been saying much the same for weeks 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eibot said:

Interesting. As far as I know, Bangkok hospital in Khon Kean is not showing any larger influxes than normal around this period. They do have 5 Covid-19 cases in the hospital. 

How many cases in Khon Kean outside the hospital?According to other normal places there should be about 60-70 cases not requiring hospital treatment.

31 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yes numbers and information management is excellent!Did you know that covid 19 numbers have a 2 week incubation period in Thailand?

And the numbers always recover to negative before they leave.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Is the substantial number of hospitals in Bangkok able to cope in relation to how many people are in Bangkok in your opinion?Will they be able to cope if they start getting numbers like Italy and Spain?

5 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

How many cases in Khon Kean outside the hospital?According to other normal places there should be about 60-70 cases not requiring hospital treatment.

My bet it is In the 100s

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You're not considering the backlog of patients awaiting test results, which as of yesterday has ballooned to 6673 patients.

But more broadly, there are a whole lot of factors that separate the actual spread of the virus in Thailand vs. the numbers being reported daily by the government of confirmed cases -- lack of widespread testing, restrictive policies on who can get tested, originally a very slow policy on processing and confirming test results that later was changed along the way, and other factors. Government policies and procedures have been influencing and controlling all of this.

For me, the confirmed cases stat is just the tip of the iceberg. 

Nah you’re just scaremongering ????

42 minutes ago, Eibot said:

Yep, my wife of 10 years works at Bangkok hospital in Khon Kean.

I am going to assume you are not allowed to say much about what is going on there 

a yes or no answer will do

17 minutes ago, CLW said:

Since my screenshot containing Twitter information has been removed without any notice, I'll try it again. 

As of 26 March there have been 714 lab tests conducted all over Thailand with 5841 results pending.

https://data.go.th/en/dataset/covid-19-daily

I can't find those numbers on that page.... How did you get to those?

21 minutes ago, Eibot said:

That seems strange up to yesterday the MOPH where stating only 2 cases in Khon Kean area, I will be interested to see if the are any more cases there today when they update their site

1 hour ago, dcsw53 said:

Say goodbye to the lockdown finishing any time soon.

I think some forget that there are many other people who do not live in Bangkok! It's more or less spread at will outside the great city and we won't be locked down until the deaths double!

Still, it gets rid of the ill and infirm and elderly -- which will benefit the Kingdom after covid-19!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eibot said:

Again, relatively good news people. Breathe..

It's not healthy to breathe due to the horrendous air pollution blanketing the country. Far more deadly than the Wu flu over the long term but nobody seems to notice, nobody seems to care. 

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Good news???

I think 143 new cases is the highest single day increase since this started, and if not THE highest, it's right up there among the highest.

And the flu has killed more this year. Be afraid, be very afraid! 

1 hour ago, wasabi said:

The government has to balance economic impact vs health impact. Many, many Thai's live day to day. It seems obvious Thailand is going to get through this with partial social distancing and partial herd immunity and that may not be intolerable as long as the most severe symptoms caused by the virus remain low.

Spot on.????

23 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

dare I say it, Thais seem to think a mask is a cure all.

problem being - that is what they have been told and unfortunately it is not correct

It's what happens when you have experts in construction as health Minister

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:
41 minutes ago, CLW said:

Since my screenshot containing Twitter information has been removed without any notice, I'll try it again.

As of 26 March there have been 714 lab tests conducted all over Thailand with 5841 results pending.

https://data.go.th/en/dataset/covid-19-daily

I can't find those numbers on that page.... How did you get to those?

That link has a multi-page table of individual daily confirmed test results (you must click 12 times to see all the results) Yesterday, 1245 test results were posted for one day. Thus cumulatively, they have reported 1000s of tests.

Correction: that is a cumulative sum of 1245 as of today.

They also have downloadable files which (I hope) have the data in tabular form.

Edited by rabas