Thailand reports 143 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death

rooster59

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

How do you know what you "see"?  You see what the government announces.  What's going on behind the scenes and that that never gets or is not yet reported, at least thus far, you don't see.

1) You cannot hide european like outbreaks

2) There are not reports news/social media of outbreaks

3) My wife works in the local hospital (BKk hospital KK) and we are both amazed at the lack of outbreaks over the past months.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Prepare for a fall curfew guys. Clearly people have not been taking advice to self isolate.. 

What is a "fall curfew" is it something we will have to wait for when the leaves come of the trees? How do you conclude from the figures that "Clearly the people have not been taking advice to self isolate"

The measures taken take some time to be affective and seen in the daily figures. If the measures are working there should be seen in the figures in about 2 weeks. In any case 143 new cases is miniscule in a country of 69 million people.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

no problem posting on social media they died of pneumonia or died with breathing difficulties but they are not allowed to say they died of CV-19 unless they were tested otherwise it is "fake news" and they could be arrested

So no test done it is not CV-19

are you getting it ?

Lol, and the younger generation Thaise are very obedient to the goverment are they. Never post anything on social media they are not aloud. 

So in your logical explanation, Covid is running wild, people are dying but they are not putting it on social media for the fear of the government? I guess I must clearly not get it yes. Maybe use twitter a little bit more, big Thai audience there aswell. 

• Like 1

I am going to assume you are not allowed to say much about what is going on there 

a yes or no answer will do

Yes, I'm all part of some Illuminati conspiracy that is lead by the Bloomberg family who are controlled by the Thai government, just to keep good christian like yourself in the dark about Covid.

Cookcook. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, offset said:

That seems strange up to yesterday the MOPH where stating only 2 cases in Khon Kean area, I will be interested to see if the are any more cases there today when they update their site

6 as off today my wife says.

11 minutes ago, Eibot said:

1) You cannot hide european like outbreaks

2) There are not reports news/social media of outbreaks

3) My wife works in the local hospital (BKk hospital KK) and we are both amazed at the lack of outbreaks over the past months.

People in BKK and Chonburi don't stay in BKK and Chonburi... They travel back and forth upcountry, and now with the closures in BKK, you can bet lots of those folks have already headed home to their provinces, where -- in the absence of any meaningful preventive measures -- the virus will spread just as it's done in BKK in the past month. There's no reason it wouldn't.  You're just saying the same thing now that Trump was saying in the U.S. a month ago...but now a month later, not hearing that anymore.

These province numbers below from govt data are a couple days old:

1453796269_2020-03-2914_22_07.jpg.4dd93fecd721185fe2b2d05813ebaff7.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

3 hours ago, wasabi said:

We know there is limited testing and thus limited utility in these results. However as I've been saying I have the most faith in the death statistic which is very low. We all know many Thai's will never practice social distancing and sanitary conditions in many places are poor and this will increase infection rates but based on today's results I continue to think that the climate likely makes the virus less virulent.  After the mass exodus out of Bangkok it's obvious these numbers are not going down anytime soon. Flattening the curve is doubtful but herd immunity may be tolerable if the virulence of the virus is low. As long as cases don't grow exponentially and death stays low I believe Thailand remains a relatively safe place to ride this out.

Thailand has a flu season as well, when cooler weather does come into play. That will be a pivotal time quite possibly. Still the hot climate theory is still a theory that doesn't have concrete evidence. Most of these hot countries have low testing and shady systems in place. Also do you have a list of deaths from hospitals around the country, has pneumonia exploded?  

1 hour ago, Dap said:

Which strikes me as very odd when countries around the world are doubling and tripling cases every day while Thailand remains at 100+ each day. How very ... odd. :dry:

Name me one country in the world with a warmer temperature than 23 degrees that is doubling or tripling their cases every day.

4 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Prepare for a fall curfew guys. Clearly people have not been taking advice to self isolate.. 

don't understand a curfew in tackling a virus? Does the virus go to bed during certain hours when we can all go out, have fun, go shopping etc? It is very early days in Thailand, long, long way to go. I hope the Thai government are open and honest about the situation.. This is one thing where they have to be. It looks like China were not and there is a lot of press about making China a Pariah state when this is all over... Isolation is boring but a few months of staying in is better then potentially dying whilst trying to catch your breath. There are thousands of old pensioners in Thailand, all vulnerable to the Coronavirus. Stay safe..

48 minutes ago, Dap said:

At some point, it's going to totally explode and the numbers will overload the available hospital facilities regardless of how little testing is done.

No. If that was the case, this would have happened beginning of feb already. 

40 minutes ago, wasabi said:

What does MIL mean?

Mother in law. Wife's mum. They have now sent her home. 78 years old. Not looking good for her. Wife is in Oz with me - got back last Wednesday. She's very worried. No hope of returning in the near future.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1

Can't fix ignorant. At this very moment my Thai mid 30's neighbor and his wife and their 5 year old kid have about 5 or so friends over drinking and partying in their backyard. My wife turns to me and I mimic an action as in drinking alcohol she says- they can do that? and I said no it is against the law. But not a good scenario if I called the police on them as I have to live here and don't need an enemy. So there are going to be a lot lot more infected people for sure.

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eibot said:

don't forget Thailand was the first country outside of Thailand to contract the virus,

Because Thailand the first testing.

you think UK, USA, Europe not have Chinese tourist in January? Every country get it same time. 

• Haha 1

no problem posting on social media they died of pneumonia or died with breathing difficulties but they are not allowed to say they died of CV-19 unless they were tested otherwise it is "fake news" and they could be arrested

So no test done it is not CV-19

are you getting it ?

and social media wouldn't have been awash with rumors and stories, before the state of emergency was bought in, get real, it would have and still would be full of it.

• Like 1

Herd Immunity only occurs when the majority of animals (humans) have been vaccinated for or have recovered from whatever the contagious illness is. Without a blood-based antibody test, we have no way of knowing how many of the population are immune to the disease.  Herd immunity works when there are few vectors (people or animals) who can contract the disease and pass it on to someone who is not immune.  So long as there a significant number of people in the population who can contract the disease, herd immunity doesn't operate.  The blood test for COVID-19 antibodies is still under development.  When it is ready, testing for the number of people who are immune to the disease would require ramping up labs and drawing a blood sample from a huge number of people.  Even then, If some pockets of non-immune people were to be overlooked, a chain of transmission could be started from them.  What stopped the transmission of smallpox throughout the world was inoculating so many people from smallpox that the occasional person who contracted smallpox had a very small chance of coming into contact with another person who was susceptible.  The recent dangerous outbreak of Mumps and Measles in the US was due to the large number of people who refused to be vaccinated with the MMR vaccine. That left a large enough pool of people that were susceptible for a chain of transmission to start. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

Interesting discussion

• A while ago my Thai family suffered from a tickly cough, more in the night, less so in the day, fever, 'not breathe so good', accompanied by lack of appetite for a couple of days, took a while to recover, went though the whole family, baby included. A few visits to the local doctor but it got over all are recovered
  • Sometime later My wife attended three funerals in a week, one old man who had been sick for a long time, one younger 40 -50 who suffered from alcohol dependency, (same family) and one relative who I do not have the detail

I fully accept all this is nothing to do with CV19 which the Thai government has under control, but it gives me comfort that my family have shown the resilience already to survive something similar ???? and people who recently died is just a coincidence due to the recent extreme hot weather

I hope all goes well for you and your families if the virus does arrive

Symptoms are a dry cough, as you and your family had a tickly cough you obviously didnt have Covid 19, so what is your point?

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

People in BKK and Chonburi don't stay in BKK and Chonburi... They travel back and forth upcountry, and now with the closures in BKK, you can bet lots of those folks have already headed home to their provinces, where -- in the absence of any meaningful preventive measures -- the virus will spread just as it's done in BKK in the past month. There's no reason it wouldn't.  You're just saying the same thing now that Trump was saying in the U.S. a month ago...but now a month later, not hearing that anymore.

These province numbers below from govt data are a couple days old:

1453796269_2020-03-2914_22_07.jpg.4dd93fecd721185fe2b2d05813ebaff7.jpg

You keep talking as if the virus has just landed in March in Thailand...? Covid-19 has been in Thailand since THE BIGINNING ON JAN. It was the FIRST country outside of China getting it. Covid-19 has also been shown in Australia in eearly JAN and in Indonesia in JAN. Yet an outbreak in all these countries have never occurred in all these weeks. 

But now suddenly it's increasing exponentially instead of linear, and we should expect an epidemic like it happens in Europe as the first tropical country? 

No, it just doesn't make sense. It has been spreading linear since JAN, it will keep spreading linear for the whole year. People will get sick, and more cases will come as the government is simply doing more tests. But the danger of Covid-19 is not the disease itself. Dengue fever or TB is more deadly. The danger is the strain on the healdcare system due to a sudden influx, where the necessary care cannot been given, thus the death% rises (+colleteral damage from other non covid patients not being able to receive care).

There are only two scenario's in where you could be right;

1) Thailand successfully contained the virus in January and all people tested positive were isolated successfully without transmitting to anyone else. That is until the moment a famous Thai actor announced he was infected on social media (start of Muay Thai cluster).

2) The virus has somehow mutated (which I read is scientifically next to impossible on such a short notice) to resist hot weather (corona is known for it's ineffectiveness in warmer/humid climates - China reported this aswell) and Covid019 has somehow found a way to become more transmittable in warmer climates. Meaning we're on the verge of major outbreaks in Australia, SEA, Africa and South America (where there has been Linear outbreaks as in Thailand, but no sudden influx as we see in the colder regions.

Do you see my point?

• Like 2

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

They sent her home from the hospital because???

Treatment finished. Bag of antibiotics and off you go. They do the same with incurable cancer patients. Wife's uncle, her mum's brother died at home last year from cancer. Can't do anything so off you go home to die.

Unfortunately the figures will double every day as will the death numbers. The government have sat on there backsides for months so much so that the health minister declared the virus would blow away in the wind for SONGKRAN.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

There wasn't, just the numbers being reported were being massaged for public consumption. As, I suspect, they still are.

Well since there is no mass strain on the healthcare system, it doesn't seem to spread as fast as in Europe. So whats the problem.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eibot said:

Name me one country in the world with a warmer temperature than 23 degrees that is doubling or tripling their cases every day.

I have no idea and haven't thought to check the temperatures around the world, only the number of incidents and fatalities. Why would I be checking temperatures?