Entering now with a Non-O visa

1 minute ago, mike787 said:

Don't count on it.  Look what china just did...banned all foreigners with rare elite exceptions.  All i can say is good luck! 

Thank you my friend.  She's over 6 months pregnant and really wants to get back with the husband.  Otherwise its coming along, which she doesn't want to do, or staying back in the States and having the baby while staying with family.  Ugh.

2 minutes ago, notyouraveragefarang said:

Thank you my friend.  She's over 6 months pregnant and really wants to get back with the husband.  Otherwise its coming along, which she doesn't want to do, or staying back in the States and having the baby while staying with family.  Ugh.

Check with THai embassy/immigration and or UbonJoe, the Oracle here.  Good luck

Edited by mike787

For the Thai wife it is not a problem to enter the country. She only needs a fit to fly letter from the embassy.

For him it is impossible now unless he could get a waiver "This does not apply to passengers with a waiver from Prime Minister or People In Charge of State of Emergency."

Source: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

For the Thai wife it is not a problem to enter the country. She only needs a fit to fly letter from the embassy.

For him it is impossible now unless he could get a waiver "This does not apply to passengers with a waiver from Prime Minister or People In Charge of State of Emergency."

Source: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Thank you guys.  I will contact the US Embassy to learn how to apply for an exception (if he even qualifies), tomorrow.

Currently being held at airport and prevented from entry in recent report by one of those involved and who has engaged a lawyer to attempt obtaining an exception (not that hopeful).  

PR holder

Family of work permit holder (they on O visa and not allowed in)

Work permit applicant in flight with work visa when rules changed and can not enter without work permit and permit can not be issued until entered.

2 hours ago, notyouraveragefarang said:

Thank you guys.  I will contact the US Embassy to learn how to apply for an exception (if he even qualifies), tomorrow.

I suspect a very well connected agent and the willingness to invest a large sum of money is the only route likely to get you a waiver. Waivers are typically intended for people like WHO staff. There are just too many foreigners with Thai relatives for you to be able to make a successful case, even with the pregnancy taken into account, without monetary incentives.

3 hours ago, notyouraveragefarang said:

I would say the US embassy would not be of any help at all.

I suggest he have his wife contact the Thai embassy in Washington DC about the problem. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I suspect a very well connected agent and the willingness to invest a large sum of money is the only route likely to get you a waiver. Waivers are typically intended for people like WHO staff. There are just too many foreigners with Thai relatives for you to be able to make a successful case, even with the pregnancy taken into account, without monetary incentives.

This is an order from the PM office.  No agent/immigration officer is likely to approve an exception I fear.

27 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

6 months pregnant  

wait till at least end of april as thats how long the ban is in effect,

if it ends, you have no problem.

if it doesn't....  option B ..contact thai embassy in dc

Contact for what. In order to fly home to Thailand 7+ months pregnant. Not many non stop flights USA to bkk. 

Like your plan....zero.

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I do not have a good solution. However, I would do almost anything rather than rely on a US health system which is shortly going to be completely crushed by millions of Covid-19 cases. If very lucky, you might get a midwife to help with a home delivery. In spite of the separation at a time the OP and his wife certainly do not want to be apart, I think it would be prudent to be in Thailand for the birth. There appears a decent chance that Thailand will avoid the absolute worst if very lucky (not because they have handled Covid-19 any better than the US mind you).

Ultimately it depends on where they are located in the States upon the kind of hospital care that is available. Saying they would be lucky to get a midwife might be true in New York City, but probably not applicable in New Mexico or Las Vegas or Lake Tahoe or Idaho. A lot of variables away from the metropolis’s.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, notyouraveragefarang said:

Might do better for them to contact the Thai Embassy in the US as it is Thai regulations that are the barrier.

US Embassy has no jurisdiction but Thai Embassy can, if so inclined, contact powers that be via diplomatic channels to see if he can get a waiver.

He'd likely need something in writing even to board a flight

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, This may sound harsh but I really don't understand your friends plan.

Why not stay in the USA where they can have good care. Hopefully things will change in one or two months and they can return. The risks of travel and uncertainty of what awaits in Thailand can change virtually overnight.

In recent hours AU government have imposed complete isolation for any returning au citizens in designated hotels.

The USA guy would have zero chance of entry. 

The opinion of most experts would be stay where you are imo.

Travel with pregnant wife....what could possibly go wrong. 

Well if they can get an exemption they would prefer to come back and should eliminate any issues with travel.  They have great care here in Thailand and can stay at home.  They have hired help here as well to help take care of the wife as well as the 2yo kid.  Staying in America means WAY more expensive and also staying with family, which is the last thing I would want to do when very pregnant and/or actually having the baby. 

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Might do better for them to contact the Thai Embassy in the US as it is Thai regulations that are the barrier.

US Embassy has no jurisdiction but Thai Embassy can, if so inclined, contact powers that be via diplomatic channels to see if he can get a waiver.

He'd likely need something in writing even to board a flight

Yes I got a message from Chiang Mai US Consulate to contact Thai Immigration since it is their jurisdiction.  They've been trying to contact Thai embassies in America but they're all closed and only have some mail-in visa services.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

I do not have a good solution. However, I would do almost anything rather than rely on a US health system which is shortly going to be completely crushed by millions of Covid-19 cases. If very lucky, you might get a midwife to help with a home delivery. In spite of the separation at a time the OP and his wife certainly do not want to be apart, I think it would be prudent to be in Thailand for the birth. There appears a decent chance that Thailand will avoid the absolute worst if very lucky (not because they have handled Covid-19 any better than the US mind you).

Cool call.  They've been considering a midwife if they have to stay in California and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a US/CA hospital right now.  They REALLY do want to get home though.  Exemption looks like it'll be tough but maybe at the end of April they can come back.  She'd be 7 months pregnant but that is totally with airline regulations.  Of course its a lot of work for her but she wants to get home. 

2 hours ago, notyouraveragefarang said:

Cool call.  They've been considering a midwife if they have to stay in California and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a US/CA hospital right now.  They REALLY do want to get home though.  Exemption looks like it'll be tough but maybe at the end of April they can come back.  She'd be 7 months pregnant but that is totally with airline regulations.  Of course its a lot of work for her but she wants to get home. 

Did they even consider she return Thailand alone. Granted pappa would not be present for birth however these are unprecedented times and would not be first time this situation has occured. Wartime etc. 

At least that way she could return quickly and hub could follow asap.

I disagree with Sheryl regarding Thai figures. My country OZ, is doing well over 1000 tests per day just in my city Melb population ~4 mill. Germany has drive through system. Thai testing is minimal by comparison. 

In any event your friend would be in 14 day lockdown. Curfew will also occur imho in bkk soon. Phuket has already.

No internal flights now in Thailand. All cancelled. Don't know where her family lives. Bus/taxi to get home?

Unbelievable.

Edited by DrJack54

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Did they even consider she return Thailand alone. Granted pappa would not be present for birth however these are unprecedented times and would not be first time this situation has occured. Wartime etc. 

At least that way she could return quickly and hub could follow asap.

I disagree with Sheryl regarding Thai figures. My country OZ, is doing well over 1000 tests per day just in my city Melb population ~4 mill. Germany has drive through system. Thai testing is minimal by comparison. 

In any event your friend would be in 14 day lockdown. Curfew will also occur imho in bkk soon. Phuket has already.

No internal flights now in Thailand. All cancelled. Don't know where her family lives. Bus/taxi to get home?

Unbelievable.

Yeah she has considered it but they want to stay together.  If she can fly into Chiang Mai she can get home easily from there. Not sure where the rest of her family is located. 

Wow all domestic flights canceled? Crazy. 

10 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I would have the baby in the US. It would give him dual citizenship and potentially more life options in the future. 

It was something I was thinking about but was not sure of USA law. If born in USA baby gets automatic citizenship. Will also have same in Thailand. Thai mum.

Talk about a jackpot. Many try this "loophole". Recently made news in US.

The hub would be in isolation for 14 days anyway. With timeframe it's just a crazy idea. 

BTW OP, I was in Saigon airport march 16 on return to Bangkok. All the flights to Singapore where cancelled. Government declared all entries will be isolated 14 day.

I thought ...anyone need fly..FLY NOW.

Now almost April your friend looking at options. Maybe look own doorstep and lack of action better. 

Edited by DrJack54

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It was something I was thinking about but was not sure of USA law. If born in USA baby gets automatic citizenship. Will also have same in Thailand. Thai mum.

Talk about a jackpot. Many try this "loophole". Recently made news in US.

The hub would be in isolation for 14 days anyway. With timeframe it's just a crazy idea. 

BTW OP, I was in Saigon airport march 16 on return to Bangkok. All the flights to Singapore where cancelled. Government declared all entries will be isolated 14 day.

I thought ...anyone need fly..FLY NOW.

Now almost April your friend looking at options. Maybe look own doorstep and lack of action better. 

Yes true automatic citizenship but time and money and they don't live there and don't want to move there.  Plus they would have to work with Thailand also to get Thai citizenship.

And you're lucky you traveled when you did!  Glad you made it back. 

3 minutes ago, notyouraveragefarang said:

Yes true automatic citizenship but time and money and they don't live there and don't want to move there.  Plus they would have to work with Thailand also to get Thai citizenship.

And you're lucky you traveled when you did!  Glad you made it back. 

Thanks. Yes things very fluid. Anyone caught out should not be critized. Things change by the hour, not by the day.

You mention "THEY do not want live there"

I would like to be fly on wall when the yet to be born confronts parents in 16+ years wanting to have USA citizenship and mum & dad say what. 

We don't want live in USA. We love CM.

Good luck.

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks. Yes things very fluid. Anyone caught out should not be critized. Things change by the hour, not by the day.

You mention "THEY do not want live there"

I would like to be fly on wall when the yet to be born confronts parents in 16+ years wanting to have USA citizenship and mum & dad say what. 

We don't want live in USA. We love CM.

Good luck.

Yeah its easy with the American dad to do it later if the kid wants to go for school, etc. 

3 hours ago, notyouraveragefarang said:

They've been trying to contact Thai embassies in America but they're all closed and only have some mail-in visa services.  

There is only one embassy in any country. In the US there is the embassy in Washington DC and official consulates in New York, Chicago and Los Angles.

Contact info for the embassy by email is here. https://thaiembdc.org/notification/สถานการณ์-covid-19-ในประเทศไทย/