Health insurance requirement for Non-O based on marriage

Good afternoon fellow Thailanders.... I am here on a ME O-visa based on marriage to a Thai citizen. Every year, I have been getting a new visa at either Savannakhet or Saigon and leaving the country every 90 days which has been just dandy. A friend of mine is worried I will now have to put 400k in the bank as well as buy health insurance that covers Covid-19 for when the border opens again and I exit the country to renew my stamp and attempt to re-enter (whenever that will be possible is anyone's guess and in the meantime I will do a 60 day extension(s). Is this true about the money and the insurance? I know I've read something about insurance necessary for O-A visas but so far I hadn't seen that anything had changed for O visas. Anyone with info?

Thank you.

Why not extend in Thailand?

When the borders re-open you will have to comply with the entry requirements in place at the time. 

Right now nobody really knows what they will be but I would not be surprised if they included covid health cover (the cover required for O-A visas is something else) and a certificate of no infection.

• Like 2

When I first started doing it this way many years ago, I was always in and out pretty much every 90 days anyhow. So it just became my MO. I didn't even know about extending it at immigration. And I never went there, pretty much. And being in Chiang Mai it's not so hard and I rather like the "day off" from my normal routine to go to Mae Sai and cross over. I read somewhere that many insurance plans don't cover the virus.

Ok, so it's a wait and see situation. That makes sense, I guess. The how world is a wait and see right now, isn't it?

Thank you for your response.

The Covid insurance requirement is separate from the insurance requirement for those with an OA visa. The Covid insurance requirement applies to foreigners entering during this epidemic. If you leave I think you can only get back in if you have a work permit

• Like 1

For those doing same day "border bounce"

Will a certifcate test done in Thailand same day be acceptable ?

Arranging a same day test in Laos or Myanmar could be difficult.

Does anyone have a link to the applicable law at immigration , health or foreign ministry.

7 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

For those doing same day "border bounce"

Will a certifcate test done in Thailand same day be acceptable ?

Arranging a same day test in Laos or Myanmar could be difficult.

Does anyone have a link to the applicable law at immigration , health or foreign ministry.

Most of what you wrote is for entries under the previous entry restrictions.

At this time it is not possible to enter any of the neighboring countries.

If you were to fly out to another country you would not be allowed to re-enter the country since the restrictions set under emergency went into effect. Check Thailand on this is website: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Thanks for a helpful prompt reply

I was looking at the day trips also , looks like a 60 day extension may be the best option for me.

Any links to flight cancellation insurance for sale for people living in Thailand?

This might not be the proper place but it's an add-on to the above about changing rules and the inability to do a border run. So, if indeed I need to change to doing extensions at immigration, at that point I will need to deal with the financial side of things, which heretofore I was able to avoid in Savannakhet and Saigon (no need to show money in the bank or monthly income).

To the point, I have no record of monthly incoming deposits nor do I have 400k in a bank. When do the transfers need to start to be acceptable and valid? My current visa is up in mid-August. I could start doing transfers tomorrow, before the end of the month, and given another 90 day extension at the expiration date of my visa in the middle of August, it would take me to mid November when I would need a new visa. That could give me 9 months of transfers. Would that suffice?

Pardon me if this needs to be moved to a different forum or a separate thread.

Thank you!

10 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

When do the transfers need to start to be acceptable and valid? My current visa is up in mid-August. I could start doing transfers tomorrow, before the end of the month, and given another 90 day extension at the expiration date of my visa in the middle of August, it would take me to mid November when I would need a new visa.

For the first extension of stay based upon marriage only proof of 2 transfers of at least 40k baht from abroad is needed.

You could apply for the extension near the end of your current 90 day entry or a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

You do not have to wait until you visa expires to apply for the extension.

Thanks so much, Ubonjoe. So it's just 40k monthly if married and not 65k? I guess I will apply for the 60 day extension before the April 15 expiration of my current 90-day stamp. That gives me 2 months to get transfers in after which I can see how things stand with the virus/rules/etc.... Either I can do a border hop at that time (unlikely I would say) or start doing the 90-day extensions showing the money in the bank. This will mean welcome to the TM30 club, I guess..... Ugh.

14 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Thanks so much, Ubonjoe. So it's just 40k monthly if married and not 65k? I guess I will apply for the 60 day extension before the April 15 expiration of my current 90-day stamp. That gives me 2 months to get transfers in after which I can see how things stand with the virus/rules/etc.... Either I can do a border hop at that time (unlikely I would say) or start doing the 90-day extensions showing the money in the bank. This will mean welcome to the TM30 club, I guess..... Ugh.

The 65k baht is for retirement.

You would apply for a one year extension of stay no need to leave the country unless you want to. There is no 90 day extension.

1st off the question is if you a O visa through marriage you get a year extection and Dont have to leave thailand ever so why are you doing 90 day runs. And 2nd insuranceis not neededfor O visas due to marriageand the reason you will need insuranceis because you have left thailand and need it to get back in if you had of done a year extensionevery year you would not need to leave thailand and no need for insurance

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Philipg114763 said:

so why are you doing 90 day runs.

Probably because its a hell of a lot easier and far less hoops. Having said that, it is an abuse of the ME non O. They are not intended for people living in Thailand.

• Like 1