Attempted breakout at Buriram prison

Jonathan Fairfield

29 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Steven what are you on about.... Mattresses?

Poor sods have to sleep packed like sardines on the concrete floor.

Before anyone tells me i am wrong.... Been there done that, in that very prison.

That doesn't apply in most prisons.  Thin matresses and tiny pillows are provided in some, Klong Prem for example, so that prisoners don't have to sleep on the concrete floor (which has linoleum, that is cleaned every morning, covering the concrete).  And, before you tell me I am wrong...been there done that, in that very prison.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Peterhead prison in Scotland.

That would have to be the prison with the bleakest location anywhere in the world in the winter time! 

Just driving bye was depressing! 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

why didn't you set it on fire when you had the chance?

That is why he was in there....... ????

I remember the day the monkey wagon took him there from the local nick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mung said:

Why do Thai prisons still practice absolute squalid conditions that breach human rights? It's almost a death sentence to be in some of those prisons for any length of time. This country has a lot of growing pains to go through 

I think it’s connected to the meaning of the word deterrent.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Many years ago I spent 6months in a South African jail, conditions very much like a Thai jail, but I learnt a very valuable lesson, and that is don't re-offend. So it worked very much as a deterrent for me.

If you can see it this way then I wish you good luck for the rest of your life. I too have spent some time incarcerated in foreign countries but would take 6 months in a Thai prison as opposed to 6 months in a South African jail.

2 minutes ago, Mung said:

treat people like animals they are going to act like animals. It's easy to see that countries that have decent facilities and care for the wellbeing of their prisoners, have lower crime rates. 

Many are in the worlds monkey houses, because they acted like animals in the first place. Prison life needs to be harsh so as hopefully to act as a deterrent

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Mung said:

Why do Thai prisons still practice absolute squalid conditions that breach human rights? It's almost a death sentence to be in some of those prisons for any length of time. This country has a lot of growing pains to go through 

Yeah but it won't happen.  The Thai economy is being raided by the regime.  The overall good of the average person is not a government priority, especially since the government is not elected by the people

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Wasn't it the back of a pick up truck, with Colin waving to all and sundry?

Spot on Nick, in the back of a  pickup, handcuffed to a Thai bloke, waved at you and Brian as we passed.:cheesy:????:cheesy:????

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mung said:

treat people like animals they are going to act like animals. It's easy to see that countries that have decent facilities and care for the wellbeing of their prisoners, have lower crime rates. 

Like Japan? There is one that just confounded your analysis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Many are in the worlds monkey houses, because they acted like animals in the first place. Prison life needs to be harsh so as hopefully to act as a deterrent

I can agree that "many"  do  need to be removed from general society for an appropriate  time and for  appropriate  reasons. But if  that involves treatment and  "harsh" conditions that does nothing  to assist contemplation  of action or  mindset  but instead reinforces and  even enhances rejection of  social conforms it is potentially  more  likely  the " many"  become a  majority !

Imprisonment  should not and  need  not  be a hotel  holiday. Nor should it  be some  melting pot of the irrecoverable criminally  minded and those that due to technicalities  of  law  and/or a lack of  financial resources to  defend  against manipulations  of it as a scapegoat etc but  being  thrown  together  as " animals" ? Really?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Many prisons are kept full as they are privately run - for profit, do you consider that fair also?

The whole system is corrupt, sadly those running the system that you seem to agree with are worse than those incarcerated.

Edited by CGW
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, khwaibah said:
Image may contain: cloud, sky and outdoor
Image may contain: sky, cloud and outdoor
BuriramguruLike Page
14 mins · 

เวลา14.41น.อัพเดทสถานการณ์ เรือนจำจังหวัดบุรีรัมย์
นักโทษ ยังมีการเผาไม่หยุดและจับผู้คุมเป็นตัวประกันอยู่ด้านใน

Do they have a sugar plantation in there?

Coronavirus fear sparks Thai prison riot as cases reach 1,388

2020-03-29T110711Z_1_LYNXMPEG2S0AB_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

A police officer wearing a protective face mask and a face shield due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak is seen at a police station in Bangkok, Thailand, March 28, 2020. REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Prisoners set fire to the canteen of jail in northeastern Thailand and several inmates escaped during a riot on Sunday that was sparked by rumours of a coronavirus outbreak, a senior justice ministry official told Reuters.

News reports showed large plumes of smoke rising above the prison in Buriram province, which holds about 2,000 inmates, both male and female.

"A small group of prisoners received a lifetime sentences earlier this week so they spread the rumour that the facility is unsafe for COVID-19," the official, who asked not to be named because he was not authorized to speak to the media, said.

"A hundred prisoners joined them in staging the riot."

The Thai government has stopped all prison visits since March 18 in a bid to stop the coronavirus spreading across the country's overcrowded correctional facilities.

Police officers were deployed to contain the situation, including pursuing prisoners who escaped in the chaos, police deputy spokesman Krisana Pattanacharoen told Reuters.

Restrictions on movement have been imposed in several Thai provinces as the total number of coronavirus cases reached 1,388, with 143 new cases reported on Sunday.

Thailand also reported one new coronavirus death, bringing the total there to seven.

(Reporting by Panu Wongcha-um and Juarawee Kittisilpa; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore and Catherine Evans)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-30

Attempted breakout at Buriram prison

By The Nation

800_8d2c0b915c85eea.png?v=1585470734

Inmates at a prison in Buriram province were reportedly involved in a shootout with prison officers on Sunday.

At 11.45am, people heard the sounds of gunfire from the prison and eyewitness accounts said smoke could be seen at 12.20.

There are reportedly about 2,000 convicts inside and a number of officers were trying to prevent a breakout.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385020

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-30