Load 10 times beyond capacity crashed website to register for cash handouts

Jonathan Fairfield

Load 10 times beyond capacity crashed website to register for cash handouts

n2.jpg

The website created for registration of those eligible for government cash handouts during the Covid-19 crisis crashed because it was overloaded when it opened, Ratchakit Deachanetirat, assistant to the Prime Minister’s Office chief, said on Sunday (March 29).

The government is offering Bt5,000 per month for three months to those who are affected by the business shutdown due to the Covid-19 outbreak.

Ratchakit said the website www.เราไม่ทิ้งกัhttp://xn--q3c.com/ was capable of registering two million people at a time but 20 million people accessed it within five minutes of the website opening. This exceeded its maximum capacity of 3.48 million per minute, leading to the website crashing.

KTB, the administrator, had to temporarily close the website. Some 9.6 people had registered as of March 29 (6am). They will receive an SMS to show if they had registered properly and if they meet the criteria to receive the handout. The money will be transferred within seven days to their bank account or PromptPay.

He added that fraudsters or opportunists were likely to take advantage of people who had already suffered from the Covid-19 outbreak. At least 44 websites have registered similar addresses to lure personal information. There are also middlemen who target the elderly by claiming to provide easier ways to get the money in exchange for a commission.

He warned that such acts of fraud will face prosecution under the penal code, and the offender shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three years, or a fine not exceeding Bt60,000, or both.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385015

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-29
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

20 million people accessed it within five minutes of the website opening.

That sounds a bit improbable...even for cash-starved Thailand!

The entire population of the country is only about 70 million, and a goodly portion of those are children and the elderly who probably don't do much online relating to govt finances.

All they needed to do was ask the banks for a list of account numbers, with the Thai ID number, and the date of the last transaction. Pull that in, when an ID is attached to more than one account, choose the one with the most recent transaction. Then send a check with a list of account numbers to the bank. One check for each bank. Done and dusted. Then use the website for those who were not on that list. No chance for fraud. No broken overloaded website. Fastest distribution.

I just asked Blackie and Junior if they would like to help....and if they can lick the problem as good as they licked my hand the system will run flawlessly.  Of course Blackie can be a bit snappy if you annoy him,  but I  have that problem licked too! 

IMG20200303115422.jpg

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That sounds a bit improbable...even for cash-starved Thailand!

The entire population of the country is only about 70 million, and a goodly portion of those are children and the elderly who probably don't do much online relating to govt finances.

Possibly 20 million attempts?

By children and grand children on behalf of their parents, siblings, grandparents and their mate next door.

In this household one person made the application on behalf of at least 5 other households/individuals.

I offered to let them use my laptop, but they struggled on with their smartphone.

Edited by Enoon

Oddly my wife said she won't take the free hand out as the government actually has no money, they only have credit and the ability to create debt. She seems to think someone will actually have to pay that money back. Can you imagine? ???? 

22 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Yea sounds a bit fishy, maybe it was just two 0.3 persons? Or possibly a man-dog hybrid, a Mog?

I remember a headline in one of the UK papers years ago that stated that 2.1 Africans were starving.

Then I had a screenshot from Sky that said 2.5 people listened to the Pope's Easter message.

Rooster

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I remember a headline in one of the UK papers years ago that stated that 2.1 Africans were starving.

Then I had a screenshot from Sky that said 2.5 people listened to the Pope's Easter message.

Rooster

Does it mean catholics listen in a rather half-hearted way?

22 hours ago, timendres said:

All they needed to do was ask the banks for a list of account numbers, with the Thai ID number, and the date of the last transaction. Pull that in, when an ID is attached to more than one account, choose the one with the most recent transaction. Then send a check with a list of account numbers to the bank. One check for each bank. Done and dusted. Then use the website for those who were not on that list. No chance for fraud. No broken overloaded website. Fastest distribution.

If I understand correct, it's only for the people working? They were asking quite a bit of questions..