Clipped wings: Aircraft grounded at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports [PHOTOS]

Jonathan Fairfield

Clipped wings

n1.jpg

Plenty of grounded aircraft can be seen at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports after a steep fall in the number of flights due to the Covid-19 situation in Thailand and other countries worldwide.

Thailand's total number of Covid-19 patients on Saturday (March 28) rose to 1,245 with 109 new cases, while total deaths were six.

On Friday (March 27), Thai AirAsia announced that it would suspend its domestic service from April 1 to 30, while passengers can change their flights with no limit.

Thai Airways International (THAI) had earlier announced that it was suspending flights to 30 world cities in March and eight European cities from April 1.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385004

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-29

n1f.jpgn1a.jpgn1b.jpgn1c.jpgn1d.jpgn1e.jpgn1f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not if you look at the past air and ground mishap history of the various Thai carriers, particularly Thai, Nok and Orient Thai.

Agreed, pretty much every airport within the country has had some kind of mishap  .....  Suratthani, Samui, Trang, Phuket, Don Muang, Chiang Mai and that's just off the top of my head. Oh, and the Lauda plane that crashed in Lopburi or wherever it was quite a few years ago.

Always nervous when flying domestically here and I come from an aviation family.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, englishoak said:

Meanwhile Qatar, are operating  at 80%  along with Emirates and Etihad from the UK at least. 

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/03/26/qatar-airways-is-still-flying-to-the-uk-from-much-of-the-world/

Problem is will the destination let you IN ?

Emirates and Etihad are shutting down or have shut down almost all routes

Quatar is virtually the only airline flying a virtually full schedule and they are actually adding destinations and capacity on some routes. They are also managing to have a load factor at or above 80% on many flights and so can continue to operate at the moment. They are the only option for many people needing to get back home. I heard that though the prices are not as low as they were they are not profiteering.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Quatar is virtually the only airline flying a virtually full schedule and they are actually adding destinations and capacity on some routes. They are also managing to have a load factor at or above 80% on many flights and so can continue to operate at the moment. They are the only option for many people needing to get back home. I heard that though the prices are not as low as they were they are not profiteering.

0BB93450-AD6D-4636-8FC3-7D800FE6A34E.jpeg.505d469641de8916739c1a5190cd590f.jpeg

D0F2A739-919E-48E8-8C52-D8D732576E61.thumb.png.aabb07e3084b3085369ab1fcdbfd4dee.png7B56B819-A893-4E1B-9A02-8BA6D9B457C5.thumb.png.bcc433089ee49f30afd04d2c0ce0dd76.png
B38E2F39-E355-4171-A67B-A8B8668FDF2C.jpeg.86ec35b52fc4dcafa05bf883b3d5d0eb.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker

15 hours ago, South said:

Agreed, pretty much every airport within the country has had some kind of mishap  .....  Suratthani, Samui, Trang, Phuket, Don Muang, Chiang Mai and that's just off the top of my head. Oh, and the Lauda plane that crashed in Lopburi or wherever it was quite a few years ago.

Always nervous when flying domestically here and I come from an aviation family.

Not sure of the relevance of 'an aviation family'. If you are nervous, why do you do I? Plenty of other options in Thailand for transport.

9 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Get ready for some super high airline prices when life returns to normal 

Or, controversially, some super low ones just to get "bums on seats".

Realistically, we just don't know, do we? 

Edited by VBF

On 3/29/2020 at 9:41 AM, 147SAG said:

Good time to do some maintance on them all.

Good time to scrap most of their aged planes and consolidate the fleet with modern fuel efficient ones suitable for the routes they serve (B747 BKK to Phuket anyone?). At the same time they should scrap THAI management, rid the airline of all the cronies and freeloaders and streamline processes and booking systems. That said I do love the onboard service compared to other airlines.

20 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

They are the only option for many people needing to get back home. I heard that though the prices are not as low as they were they are not profiteering.

am surprised the Chinese didn't get on 'that' ball too?

- except in their case it would (only) be for profiteering