Rayong to Bangkok by car

Thingamabob

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Since there's no lock down or curfew., what exactly did the OP expect anyway?

Because the govt has announced there will be hundreds of military and police checkpoints around the country to check people.  By check people I mean check their temp, should wear masks, inform they really should not be out unless absolutely necessary, etc.  And news media has been showing videos and photos of some of the checkpoints. 

It's just the govt has made it sound like it will be hard to avoid running into a checkpoint so just stay home.  But so far I have not run into any in western Bangkok or Nakhon Pathom province bordering western Bangkok....clear sailing.  But some in-laws in central Nakhon Pathom province told my Thai wife they do have some checkpoints there.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

OP,

2 hrs & 30 mins from your Rayong starting point to central Bangkok is fast....traffic must have been really light.   A few months ago I did drive from western Bangkok to Amuang Rayong (the ID card office)....started out early in the morning....averaged 90 to 120kmh for much of they way but portions of the trip had heavy traffic...and it took me exactly 3 hours. 

Today when I was out driving around my part of western Bangkok, for a Sunday the traffic is extremely light....haven't seen the traffic this light for many years.....most people are staying home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

There are supposed to be health checks on all provincial borders and self quarantining when passing a border aren't there? They even have health checks and the T8 form to show with passport to use the MRT in Bangkok that goes onto Nontaburi?!

tm8.jpg.94c3f08e42974b75afabd9cb92d988eb.jpg

Good to hear. Was talking to a Thai friend today who lives on the border of Ratchaburi and Samut Songkhram provinces (house is much closer to Mae Khlong than Ratchaburi town) and she thinks she'll be thrown in 14-day quarantine if crossing that provincial border! She's so afraid of it that she made plans to start riding all the way up to Ratchaburi town to do her shopping. 

I have driven through 24 provincial borders in a more than 2,000km car journey from southern Thailand to the Lao border which I started last Thursday and finished this evening. I have not been stopped at one provincial boundary, although there are plenty of tents with  police and others gathered. I was stopped in three towns well away from provincial borders, once to be asked if I had a mask and twice had temp checked. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 4:30 PM, NanLaew said:

The checkpoints are official. It should be 7 of them in the Chonburi/Pattaya area. And more checkpoints entering BKK. They are supposed to be manned 24/7.

This is the same with the BA flight from London 3 days ago,

Checks on arrivals,,,,,,nothing , my friends through Imm & customs (no baggage) in 6 minutes.

It is all talk but they will not do any more work for Prayut than absolutely necessary.... to keep their jobs they listen to their local Commissioner only

The wife and I did a "visit Mom" today....drove from western Bangkok to a little past A.Maung Nakhon Pathom....drove on highway #4 and #338...see the blue line I drew.  Encountered one checkpoint going and a different one coming back....marked with red X's below.  But I guesstimate of every 100 vehicles passing the checking point maybe only one vehicle stopped.  And actually one check point only had a couple passenger vans pulled over....no other vehicles being stopped.....and the other checkpoint seemed to be on break with everyone setting under the tent letting all vehicles pass (at least for a while) but this checkpoint had three lanes narrowed down to one lane which was causing a traffic jam.  Maybe their intent was just to make a traffic jam to encourage people to stay home and avoid checkpoint traffic jams.   

image.png.af840500b09b1eb59ef4643428a8a478.png