BANGKOK

On 3/30/2020 at 7:31 AM, lkn said:

who works for free.

where you would find this gem????

The damage is 30.000 Baht but the lawyer will charge you with at least 60.000 Baht.

So what?

Calm down, it's not your business.

I've lived here 14 years.  I married a Thai woman 31 years ago, and after retiring 14 years ago we moved to Thailand from America.   We've owned two homes here and one condo here.  I am a retired Certified Public Accountant, and thought I had some general idea of how civil law worked.  Boy, was I ever wrong.

1)  I've been to Thai court once, and have had other dealings with attorneys recently revolving repossessing a house we had sold and taken back paper on.

My advice is do not, under any circumstances, involve yourself in any legal proceedings.  Thailand is not the same as where you came from......not in the slightest.  We had an open and shut, locked down tight case against a builder.  We went to court, twice.  I got a 200,000 baht bill and 1/2 of the money back I was due.  Given the level of grief it caused I can tell you it would have been less painful if I just cut one of my fingers off.

2) We now own and live in a condo where not a single one of the Thai Condo laws are followed.  My Thai wife is on the board (I was on it as a foreigner for awhile and soon was told my input wasn't needed or wanted)  I'll keep it simple for you.  As with the legal system , it isn't remotely like where you came from.  If you don't like the way it is operated, MOVE.  If you think you can make it better, think again.  If you think anyone can make it run differently than it is now.......don't.

Good luck Forrest -

• Like 2

http://www.thailandbailbonds.com/about-or-legal-team/

this his is a lawyers office website but it has excellent information in English about the operation of the court system.

dont listen to anyone on this forum.  Most offer opinions without having any understanding of how things work, or knowing the full circumstances.

the court will offer no translation service or very limited at best.  Take whatever paperwork you have to an English speaking lawyer near you for an opinion.   You should be able to get opinions on your chances for free (you can see a few different lawyers to see whether they agree), however getting one to defend you will cost a lot more than 30000b.  Probably between 70k to 300k range depending on the lawyer.

15 hours ago, asean said:

wrong. Thai courts do not favour Thais over foreigners. They favour the written law. Many Thais in jail charged by foreingners.

i hope your right 

Are you exceeding fluent in Thai. If not, you will have zero clue as to what is going on until the proceedings are over and done. 

17 hours ago, TGIR said:

We went to court, twice.  I got a 200,000 baht bill and 1/2 of the money back I was due

That’s not a bad outcome. Going to court twice would certainly cost many attorney hours, and a decent attorney probably charges 5,000 baht per hour, so you quickly get to 200,000 baht (in addition to the hours spent in court, there is also preparation, meetings with you, etc.).

And getting half your money back seems to indicate you got some justice. Of course you think the case was open and shut, but the builder obviously thought otherwise, and it appears the judge wanted to just split the difference, favouring neither you nor the (Thai) builder.

17 hours ago, TGIR said:

I'll keep it simple for you.  As with the legal system , it isn't remotely like where you came from

I wouldn’t go that far, I’ve been pretty succesful pursing money owed, defects, etc. from the developer of my condominium, and despite that, they still used their majority votes to re-elect me to the committee, even though it meant they could no longer have a representative themselves (both their representative and myself had served two consecutive terms, but as there were only two new candidates, there was room for one person from the old committee).

Not saying that there aren’t bad buildings in Thailand, but the mantra on this forum seems to be that everything is bad, corrupt, lawless, etc., and it’s futile to do anything about it.

Just saying that so far, this has not been my experience. The few encounters I have had with “bad” people have all involved westerners.