Which Diesel Fuel

I have a bog standard 2012 Vigo, 190,000 km on the clock. D4D engine.

Asked at the PTT station if I can use B10 or B20............oh yes yes, no problem. Asked at Toyota.......no, no, no ! 

Can I , or can I not use B10 or 20 anyone please.

2 hours ago, stouricks said:

Can I , or can I not use B10 or 20 anyone please.

To be honest I dunno but I would say B10 would be OK.

I have the latest Isuzu 1.9 diesel engine which they say can take B20 but may need adjustments.

I have been using B10 since it came out and the truck runs just fine the same but just a little difference in kilos to litre it seems but haven't been doing the kind of long haul trips like I had been doing before.

I mean to say before using diesel B7 and now B10 can't be that different.

2 hours ago, johng said:

Its a diesel it will survive most anything except for petrol ????????

There was a trick in winter in UK when I use to put about half a gallon of petrol in my companies VW diesel trucks to mix with the diesel in the tank to stop the fuel lines and pump from freezing up.

• Like 1

Seems Toyota is not sure either or don't want to say.. ????

https://www.toyota.co.th/en/news/gOe91vOP

2) For Hilux VIGO and Fortuner vehicles with the production years from 2011-2015, if there is the need for the consistent use of B20 Biodiesel in the areas with regular temperatures of lower than 16 degrees Celsius, please seek prior advice from Toyota service centers. 

My own personal interpretation of this legalese is that B20 is not a good idea for your Vigo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rambling said:

Seems Toyota is not sure either or don't want to say.. ????

2) For Hilux VIGO and Fortuner vehicles with the production years from 2011-2015, if there is the need for the consistent use of B20 Biodiesel in the areas with regular temperatures of lower than 16 degrees Celsius, please seek prior advice from Toyota service centers. 

My own personal interpretation of this legalese is that B20 is not a good idea for your Vigo.

Regular temps lower than 16? I don't drive under my air con.   LOL

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, rambling said:

Yes I just saw it ???? Well then the OP has their answer.

I am the OP and still have no idea whether I can use B10 or B20.

On another slightly off-topic question, why did the Thais call diesel with alcohol B20 and not D20. Too logical I guess

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

On another slightly off-topic question, why did the Thais call diesel with alcohol B20 and not D20. Too logical I guess

It seems your Vigo will be OK, just keep an eye on the dash yellow fuel filter light...

On 3/30/2020 at 2:03 AM, stouricks said:

probably biodiesel

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bigz said:

If in doubt don't use it. Regular diesel is cheap enough now.

Regular diesel (B7) is phased out though. So at some point will need to switch. From what I understand from another post is that if your engine can run on B20, then B10 should be fine as well. Toyota has a news item on the site that explains which models of which cars can use B20. You'd have to look the link up though.

Edited by wolf81

11 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

Regular diesel (B7) is phased out though. So at some point will need to switch. From what I understand from another post is that if your engine can run on B20, then B10 should be fine as well. Toyota has a news item on the site that explains which models of which cars can use B20. You'd have to look the link up though.

Oh ok. I didn't know that they'll phase it out in Thailand.

On 3/29/2020 at 7:43 PM, Kwasaki said:

To be honest I dunno but I would say B10 would be OK.

I have the latest Isuzu 1.9 diesel engine which they say can take B20 but may need adjustments.

I have been using B10 since it came out and the truck runs just fine the same but just a little difference in kilos to litre it seems but haven't been doing the kind of long haul trips like I had been doing before.

I mean to say before using diesel B7 and now B10 can't be that different.

Kilos per Litre? 0.832kg/litre            KM  ( kilometres ) per Litre    ????

• Haha 1

Yes, you can use B10 which only has 3% more bio than normal diesel in Thailand which is really B7 diesel.  See attached PTT placard (picture taken at a PTT station) which says it fine for a Hilux 1989-Current to use B10. 

I have a 2009 Fortuner 2009 D4D 3.0Liter (basically same engine you got)....I researched this before and found Toyota confirmed B10 is OK; but B20 was limited to certain later year group models.  My Fortuner has around 250K kilometers on it....I started using B10 about 3 tank fulls ago....can't notice any difference in engine performance or fuel mileage.

image.png.f14c519918f189749e0bdcb7fd4097e1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You might be surprised to find out, that you buy a tank of diesel cheaper if it is this B10 or B20 business - all the while you will burn more of the stuff per mileage. 

Bottomline of my little experience is, that the engine takes as much more fuel as more doctored (i.e. cheaper) the diesel gets ....... go figure. I am back to normal standard diesel now! 

I sent the same query to Toyota Thailand as well, here's the reply I was sent:

Dear Sir,

On behalf of Toyota Motor Thailand Co., Ltd., Customer Contact Center would like to express our cordially sincere thanks for your constant trust and interested in our product.

According to your concern, Customer Contact Center would like to inform that Hilux Vigo which produced on 2012 could use Biodiesel B20 without any modification, but if the car will be used in area with temperatures below 16 degrees, please bring the car checked at dealer before filled.

Should you have any inquiries, please do not hesitate to let us know. Any comments are highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Customer Contact Center

CS Promotion Department

Toyota Motor Thailand Co., Ltd.

On 3/30/2020 at 2:38 PM, stouricks said:

Regular temps lower than 16? I don't drive under my air con.   LOL

I see that you do not know certain provinces of Thailand where the temperature drops to the level of zero degrees celsius in December and January each year;
For example that of Loei, on the side of Dan Sai ...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I see that you do not know certain provinces of Thailand where the temperature drops to the level of zero degrees celsius in December and January each year;
For example that of Loei, on the side of Dan Sai ...

I DO know about seasonal differences in temperature in various parts of Thailand, so I shall try to avoid those areas in those months, thanks.

On 3/30/2020 at 10:03 AM, stouricks said:

I looked into this re my 2015 Isuzu pickup. After some contradictory advice my good local dealer turned up a proper directive from Isuzu that it could, but only after specific modifications which they showed me and would cost 2700 baht. I suspect similar would apply to your vehicle and I certainly would not use B20 without being absolutely sure . B10 ok though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

I looked into this re my 2015 Isuzu pickup. After some contradictory advice my good local dealer turned up a proper directive from Isuzu that it could, but only after specific modifications which they showed me and would cost 2700 baht. I suspect similar would apply to your vehicle and I certainly would not use B20 without being absolutely sure . B10 ok though.

เช็กก่อนใช้ B20 รายละเอียดเพิ่มเติม คลิก!

Info from PTT website.   See if you can find your make/model/year on either list.   One list is for B10 only; the other list is B20 which means B10 is OK also  Found my 2009 Fortuner on the B10 list which is in sync with other info on other sites, like Toyota websites, I've found.   And the OP's 2012 Vigo is also on the B10 list.   

List of B10 Compatible Vehicles  

http://www.doeb.go.th/data/bio/total_B10.pdf

http://www.pttor.com/content.aspx?c=ieQ1oU9%2byO6EMOnX09ePPA%3d%3d

List of B20 Compatible Vehicles  

http://www.doeb.go.th/data/bio/total_B10_B20.pdf  

http://www.pttor.com/content.aspx?c=UC0yjrIC8mhwqEWemUE0xw%3d%3d