Non-essential shops open

Trujillo

I see that Siam TV is open as usual, which tells me that the owner must be someone in the military or government. Electronic shops are not supposed to be open as they are non-essential. 

I also see that used clothing shops are open, as is at least one guitar shop. 

What shops do you see open that are not essential? 

• Like 2

Well, this went off subject fast. 

If you think this isn't "working," then what do you suggest to fit your bill? Total house arrest for the entire nation for a couple weeks? No one in or out. Government will deliver rice meals to your house, same as the ones in prisons. Do not open borders for at least 6 months. No postal service from infected countries. Wearing a mask, even a stupid paper one, is now law, even on your own property. Police blockades to check your papers. Do you have the permit to walk your dog? Why are you outside? 

Let's start shaming each other. Dirty farangs must be deported; they are not following the Thai culture. When their visas come up, no renewals. Let's make Thailand safe for Thais. 

The fact is that if this was an airborne disease, there might be some validity in all the distancing, but according to the people who study this, nearly all infections come from surface contacts. So unless someone actually coughs right on you, the chances of it floating 5 feet and landing on you is very small indeed. 

Either you believe the experts and doctors or you don't. That's up to you. If you think everyone ought to wear a flimsy paper mask, bully for you. Why aren't we wearing them all the time to prevent seasonal flu and anything else the boogie man might cough up? If you think this virus (which goes through the cloth and paper masks like a neutrino through matter) will be "blocked" by a non-N95 or higher mask, great. Your thoughts are free for you to think. 

Compare Sweden and Denmark in the ways they have dealt with the situation and you will see that this "distancing" thing and closures don't really make all that much difference. 

And again, as I've said: 0.0018 percent of the population here has been infected, with 0.000009 percent of the population dying from the virus. Is this really worth pulling out all the stops? Clearly not. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Does that include the old Farang morons sitting and drinking together in front of the bars?

I saw at least four different groups of them, none wearing masks, sitting together at tables.

Yes. of course it does. Idiots.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pilotman said:

These morons, as you put it, are trying to make a living.  In a country with no social security safety nets, its hardly surprising. 

Soon they may well be dead morons along with the people they are infecting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Shops at Warorot/Kad Luang are open. Not all but more than you would think. Bought a small rice cooker there last week as Tesco and Big C taped off the appliance sections.

BTW, stopped at Peera Pharmacy last week too. Ran into more than a couple farang with no masks on. I would not care, more that they are Anutins poster B-----s and are oblivious.

Too smoky to walk this morning so looks like it's the Nats, FSAsia, in 10 minutes. 

2 hours ago, fishtank said:

Soon they may well be dead morons along with the people they are infecting.

the certainty of destitution against the outside chance of getting an inflection that kills you, I know which I would choose and so do they.

• Like 1

Good, good. Defiance can be a beautiful thing. Small mom and pop shops being open are no threat to anyone, as long as minor precautions are being taken. Why should the big guys be allowed to be open, and the little guys, who really need it, be deprived of a livelihood? I consider the economic shutdown to be 100 levels beyond inane. 

Edited by spidermike007

9 hours ago, Trujillo said:

The fact is that if this was an airborne disease, there might be some validity in all the distancing, but according to the people who study this, nearly all infections come from surface contacts. So unless someone actually coughs right on you, the chances of it floating 5 feet and landing on you is very small indeed. 

The fact is that it hasn't been scientifically evidenced. In which case it's prudent to keep a 2 metre distance between people. 

3 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Shops at Warorot/Kad Luang are open. Not all but more than you would think. Bought a small rice cooker there last week as Tesco and Big C taped off the appliance sections.

BTW, stopped at Peera Pharmacy last week too. Ran into more than a couple farang with no masks on. I would not care, more that they are Anutins poster B-----s and are oblivious.

Too smoky to walk this morning so looks like it's the Nats, FSAsia, in 10 minutes. 

We were at Kad Luang a few days ago and it was completely shut down. There were some fabric shops open on the outside perimeter of the market, as well as Win Cosmetics, and 7-11, and other than a few old ladies selling fruit and snacks everything was closed completely. You could not even get inside the main building.

• Like 1

Just now, elektrified said:

We were at Kad Luang a few days ago and it was completely shut down.

Go across the street from the 7/11 . The north side of the street. Walk down to the river. A little soi you have to walk in. It was open Wednesday and Thursday of last week. We came back thursday to buy the rice cooker as no place else was open. The big stores had taped there non food sections off.   

However, if you are actually buying an appliance (not just arguing for fun & skittles) if you know the model. Go to big C or Tesco and ask them to go get one. They will, or they did last week according to a neighbor.

50 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Mobile shops where allowed to open yesterday in our town !

I think this is a very good idea. With self-isolation so important these days, interpersonal communication lines have become invaluable for our mental health. Self-imposed lock-down in a one-room studio apartment becomes less of a chore if one can maintain daily relationships with the outside world, keeping us sane during insane times.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

I think this is a very good idea. With self-isolation so important these days, interpersonal communication lines have become invaluable for our mental health. Self-imposed lock-down in a one-room studio apartment becomes less of a chore if one can maintain daily relationships with the outside world, keeping us sane during insane times.

Everything fairly normal in SanSai .... nearly all the shops are open, not many people on the streets.

Booze shop open, m/c repair shop still repairing, cheap plastic shop open as usual.

Restaurants all open. Only the builders supply shop across the road is closed.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

PM,

bunch of horsesh$t.....make a living

they should be strung up and slaughtered...If I am a hitman, I have to make a living too...right?

this is the worst crime of all...poisoning all of its Citizens...this crime is far worse than the virus as it is intentional and affects the health of everyone regionally...

the gov can retrain them to be constructions workers or ditch diggers   

forget the stupid fines....charge and jail them for causing great bodily harm leading to death...

indefensible to burn period...

7 hours ago, stephenterry said:

The fact is that it hasn't been scientifically evidenced. In which case it's prudent to keep a 2 metre distance between people. 

It has actually, by the MIT in the States, and 2 metres is nowhere near enough. For social distancing to work you have to be 100 m apart.

"The study, which was reported by the Telegraph, found that viral droplets expelled in coughs and sneezes can travel in a moist, warm atmosphere at speeds of between 33 and 100ft per second (ten metres to 100 metres)."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8162697/Social-distancing-EIGHT-metres-avoid-coronavirus-risk.html

So the way you have been doing social distancing is wrong and ineffective. But social distancing is basically unworkable anway, so no big issue. I'll be ignoring all social distancing rules.

As indeed most Thais are doing, driving to CentFest earlier I saw petshops, diy stores and restaurants open, people sitting and eating, Thais. Good to see common sense is prevailing.

Edited by Logosone

17 hours ago, Trujillo said:

If you think this isn't "working," then what do you suggest to fit your bill?

At least one bank now refuses to exchange or accept currencies from other countries, as a safeguard even if they are in pristine condition or they will not be accepted for exchange.  However, the banks still accept Thai currency even if it has been in circulation for decades.

'nuf sed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

You could suggest Thai police to switch to Indian tactics of shop closure enforcement...

How dare you make such a suggestion?  That is law enforcement in the open air without any protection.  The Thai police prefer to wear their masks, dark glasses, etc., and sit in an air conditioned box controlling the traffic lights and exerting themselves by pushing a few buttons and thus not break out into a sweat.

'nuf sed.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Small mom and pop shops being open are no threat to anyone, as long as minor precautions are being taken. Why should the big guys be allowed to be open, and the little guys, who really need it, be deprived of a livelihood?

Small mom&pop food shops were never ordered closed. Neither were small mom&pop pharmacies.

Both are essential for survival of the community.  A mom&pop used clothing store is not.

The big stores such as Tessco have blocked off all except food areas, in keeping with societal obligations. It would be good if everyone paid more attention to societal obligations and less to 'me, me, me.'

That is what living in a society means. Not following medical guidelines right now places others at risk. Obviously, some people just don't give a damn about putting others at risk.

• Like 2

Wonder what some people, perched on their High Horses ...

If you are so worried about the well being of others, where were you - and your Horse - during any of the following

death.jpg

Edited by canthai55
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

The big stores such as Tessco have blocked off all except food areas, in keeping with societal obligations. It would be good if everyone paid more attention to societal obligations and less to 'me, me, me.'

How come Lazada are still allowed to deliver everything?