Have you gone to a public park in Bangkok lately?

watthong

and is it still ok to do general excercise, jogging, doing tai chi, etc in this time of COVID?     My stomping ground for this used to be the grounds of the Rajamagala stadium complex. Since the city "soft" lock down, it is no longer able to use it as a place for general excercise. Around late afternoon when the public starts showing up, a guard would ride around on bicycle and via portable speaker alert people not to do excercise "in time of Covid". So a bunch of us in shorts and sneakers are forced to stand around in a state of accidental loitering...

Sorry to hear that some people are already considering their lives forfeit and have given up, it is a sad day when people do not believe taking care of ones self is important and believe by staying in stasis is the only way.

• Like 2

I went to Benjasiri Park today. They've closed the outdoor gyms, other sport areas and playgrounds, otherwise it's open. When you enter the park, your temperature is checked. I just walked around, others were jogging or doing exercises on the lawn. Nice weather, too.

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I went to Benjasiri Park today. They've closed the outdoor gyms, other sport areas and playgrounds, otherwise it's open. When you enter the park, your temperature is checked. I just walked around, others were jogging or doing exercises on the lawn. Nice weather, too.

do they assume one and all have driven there? - what if dudes have jogged 10K to the gates? ... the organic engine temp from the jog would set alarms ringing!

Went back to the Rajamagala grounds today and found the place totally closed, nay, barricaded up! However there was a bit of a park-like area outside the gates by the "pond" where a few lonely souls like me sit down and rest our weary mind (even among complete strangers I did feel some unspoken solidarity of the "we're all in this together" sort...) Luckily I've brought my camera along so I was able to practice depth of field on the pigeons and the rats.

Yeah, I need to get out and spend some time outside otherwise I would go nuts. My mental health alert went red last Friday when I thought the night time curfew  was going to take effect and I found myself running up and down my soi stocking up on food, while the locals went about their business at the usual pace. Some one earlier on suggests that the communal evening aerobics should open, yes and in my opinion, even ramp up their schedule, a great way to help people improving their physical and mental health, while still maintaining social-distancing. Maybe in the next phase of the "lock down" SAT would make itself useful to the general public and offer some outdoor space for exercise activities.

In the meantime I will make my way to Lumphini Park, if nothing else I will do a few portraits of the thangthong lizard I saw there some years back. Thanks you all for the info and positive comments, much appreciated. Stay healthy, body and mind.

22 hours ago, Caldera said:

As things stand, the elderly (70+ years), young children (5 years or younger) and people with health issues have been advised to "stay home". That makes sense and might well apply to you, but it doesn't apply to everyone.

For me personally, I don't see any outrageous risk in walking to a nearby park and spending some time there at a time when neither the sidewalks nor the park are crowded. The exercise and the sunshine are good for my health without a doubt, on the other hand, so the benefit clearly outweighs the risk.

For you maybe, you could be sick without knowing and infect others.

13 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

So crawl in a hole, hide and give up, if you have social distanced yourself, like I have for over a month, and never done anything for the past several weeks which could have compromised your health, and you have stayed away from others, pray tell explain to me what the chances are that you can be asymptomatic.  Being scared and hiding is not good for your health.  You definitely do not get it your self.  We are not selfish, we are not careless, and we are not in Lockdown here in Bangkok.  Lets get a grip on this thing, life goes on and you need to live it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

That's why I wear a surgical mask and keep a safe distance from others. I'd tell you to crawl back into your hole, but as it appears, you never leave it these days anyway.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So crawl in a hole, hide and give up, if you have social distanced yourself, like I have for over a month, and never done anything for the past several weeks which could have compromised your health, and you have stayed away from others, pray tell explain to me what the chances are that you can be asymptomatic.  Being scared and hiding is not good for your health.  You definitely do not get it your self.  We are not selfish, we are not careless, and we are not in Lockdown here in Bangkok.  Lets get a grip on this thing, life goes on and you need to live it.

I don't crawl in a hole and give up. I live with my family and work from home. The people who do things now which are not necessary are selfish idiots and will be the cause that we will get a complete lock down.

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

I don't crawl in a hole and give up. I live with my family and work from home. The people who do things now which are not necessary are selfish idiots and will be the cause that we will get a complete lock down.

So how, wearing a mask, going to the park, social distancing, not doing anything risky is dangerous in any way shape or form if your not near anyone, and you do not touch things.  Lets get real is there a LAW that says you shall stay inside? NO there is not.  Are you asked to be responsible and not partake in risky activities such as social gathering, large crowds, eating at restaurants and drinking at bars, YES there is.  Its about time you understand that even your family can give you this virus if they have contact with someone else that was or is a carrier.  Have you sanitized your mail, have you sanitized your house, when groceries are delivered do you wear masks, gloves, and sanitize the containers the food is in.  Germophobia and OCD are anxiety disorders than be helped with medication.  Keeping alive and choosing to enjoy life instead of hiding in fear, while being safe, is what we are doing. Not sure about others who believe we are on lockdown.

I think the French have this saying: "frogs that live at the bottom of a well think the sky is as big as the well's mouth." The English version of this is "tunnel vision" (forgive me if I confused the nationalities.)