Have you gone to a public park in Bangkok lately?

watthong

26 minutes ago, Jajazazajaja said:

They are all closed as of tomorrow 

such a same, what’s the risk when proper social distancing is maintained?

Where did you see that the parks in Bangkok will be closed as of tomorrow.  From the paper that can not be named I saw something that denied a BMA Lockdown, and saw nothing posted on the Lumpini Park Gates this morning.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) on Tuesday dismissed as untrue reports that it will announce a full lockdown and keep city residents at home in a bid to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Edited by ThailandRyan

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Where did you see that the parks in Bangkok will be closed as of tomorrow.  From the paper that can not be named I saw something that denied a BMA Lockdown.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) on Tuesday dismissed as untrue reports that it will announce a full lockdown and keep city residents at home in a bid to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.

https://www.dailynews.co.th/bangkok/766385

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Very disappointing to see public parks being closed.  Now people will be exercising on crowded streets.  

Not being shown on any other news sites folks.  Not on the papers we can not link to or the one tied to TV. Only thing to be closed now in addition to what was already closed are shops from Midnight to 5 am

Bangkok Orders Shop Closures From Midnight to 5 a.m.

Edited by ThailandRyan

10 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Only the selfish idiots will do that.

The streets are not crowded and only selfish people put there values of what they believe onto others who are doing everything the safe and socially distanced way.  It is people with poor perspective which have placed the entire country into what it is, when acting sooner would have saved a lot of headaches.  The numbers do not justify the means unless the numbers truly are not what they are telling us they are.  Thank goodness I took possession of my Treadmill today so I can do my workouts on my 100 sqm balcony and then sit in my hot tub.  Life is good.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You stay home unless you need to go out, then you do "social distancing".

You don't need to go to the park. It is just selfish behavior.

Sure.  A park is perfect for social-distancing.  Even in "total lockdown" UK, people are encouraged to go out to exercise for an hour a day (but maintain social-distancing).  Bangkok isn't fully locked down - many people are still working, public transport is open, so taking away the big public parks is shortsighted.

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Sure.  A park is perfect for social-distancing.  Even in "total lockdown" UK, people are encouraged to go out to exercise for an hour a day (but maintain social-distancing).  Bangkok isn't fully locked down - many people are still working, public transport is open, so taking away the big public parks is shortsighted.

Agree, next to be shut will be MRT and BTS then, of course why not shut down all offices as they have large numbers of people entering the buildings and the AC in them recirculates to the 1000's working on all floors.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Agree, next to be shut will be MRT and BTS then, of course why not shut down all offices as they have large numbers of people entering the buildings and the AC in them recirculates to the 1000's working on all floors.

Yeah.  I work in central Bangkok, and every morning I see hundreds of office workers still going to their banking, insurance, law, marketing offices.  The numbers are lower than normal, so I guess many are working from home, but a huge number cannot do that.  Their company gyms and public fitness centres are closed, and now the parks too, so where will they get their daily exercise?

Well Apparently he wants everyone to be locked down, only time will tell.  With what we are looking at I would expect to be confined until June .....So much for social distancing and personal mental health.  Looks like we can all practice being shut-in's like in nursing homes.  

Contagion raging because employees not sent home: health chief

“The roads are still jammed and car parks are still full, which shows people are still leaving their homes as usual,” Thanarak said. “This means that both government organisations and private companies are not complying with the work-from-home measure, which is a very unsatisfactory state of affairs.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385207

Edited by ThailandRyan

a guard would ride around on bicycle and via portable speaker alert people not to do excercise "in time of Covid".

is this government policy or simply an over enthusiastic, jobsworth security guard? in the uk government policy is encouraging people to excercise, quite rightly in my opinion, once a day and keeping social distancing.

Update:

I just got back from my 4:30-5:30am run:

Santiphab Park near VM closed with a sign re C-19 on the gate. 7-11s closed before 5.

Pretty dumb decision to close the parks. Exercise is exactly what you want people to be getting now and it's not hard to walk or jog maintaining social distance. Ah, well, I run on the streets anyway.

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 1

Gates at Lumpini Park are also all closed with their Police manning the gate areas, looks like only workers working to clean the park and those maintaining it are being let inside. I can understand limiting the amount of people, but I never saw large gatherings of people, yoga by about 10 or so with mats spaced at least 2 meters apart, runners and walkers social distancing as they approached each other.  It is a shame, but life goes on.  To the treadmill I go. But hey I can still get onto MRT with several hundred others just to go to Tops, go figure, as its essential I guess.  I think I also must go stand at Immigration with a thousand others here soon, but then its essential also.  Some times common sense has no boundaries.  Can not wait until those that were saying we all need to just stay inside, and the "what part of stay inside dont you understand" folks have to make their way to immigration with the hoards, and ride MRT with the hundreds.  Seems like if they were going to shut things then all businesses should also be closed as well as immigration.......just saying

• Like 1

Yes I went to Lumphini this morning and found the gates closed. But walking to the park I saw 4 or 5 building sites where workmen were still at work in close proximity to each other, and no doubt sharing food and drink and accommodation with each other.

Maybe their lives are not a valued as us fitter types who can enjoy a park in safe isolation?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The UK isn't a good example on how to react on a pandemic.

On 3/31/2020 at 6:29 PM, FritsSikkink said:

The people who do things now which are not necessary are selfish idiots and will be the cause that we will get a complete lock down.

Self-righteous nuts think that what they have to do are well and good, while what others (that they deem "idiots") have to do are "unnecessary/selfish" ie they somehow got the jurisdiction on what is good/bad or what necessary/unnecessary as how the (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) world turns. History has a name for that kind of worldview and humankind nowadays has eradicated it, but, like smallpox, it manages to rear its head now and then. There's no room for debate on such ground, ie the kind of people you would be very cautious if you have the bad luck to have them as neighbors...

I was going to go to Lumpini park for a breath of fresh air and treat my sore eyes (due to much time on TV) to some expanse of greenery and the sight of my human fellows leading healthy, sensible lives (as opposed to going "bonker in bunker.") Alas, that was not to be, so back to making my way along the Saen Saeb canal in the evening and observing how passengers riding the busboats manage social-distancing (not a small feat!) By the way, the footpath is wide enough at most places for jogging if you're so inclined, but watch out for motosais.

Good luck to all of us!

• Like 1