Thailand's tourist haven Pattaya devastated as coronavirus hits travel

webfact

1 minute ago, Youlike said:

This is the perfect time for pattaya to put ALL electricity underground, make new sidewalks and clean up the place.

Indeed, be a good time to stamp out corruption as well ????

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Join the club. Hundreds of millions around the world are struggling to make a living, at this moment. As I said on another thread, I expect the consequences of the economic shutdown to be 100 times worse than the virus itself. It is like making a facial pimple into a cancerous tumor. More people died last year in Italy, of pulmonary issues in two weeks time, than the total number of worldwide deaths to date from corona. 

This zombie apocalypse reaction, with regard to the economy is so far beyond inane, that it barely merits discussion. Millions could die of starvation in India alone. 

Yet again Mike a very accurate valid and important a point. 

Albeit contentious and unpleasant for some to stomach.  As in wars the young are sacrificed, with Covid19 this will be the old, sick and less healthy.  I believe this is very possibly a natural cleansing and rejuvenation process.  We must let it run its course, whilst also following sensible, logical precautions.  There will be heavy collateral losses.  Mostly the elderly, sick or ones with existent health issues.  Those of whom are a huge drain on most developing and third world nations.

The path which we are taking now with widespread panic, hysteria and totally unnecessary overblown measures, will without any doubt impact far far greater the entire population that would otherwise have survived the virus.  We will see widespread famine, poverty, social unrest, crime and violence.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Join the club. Hundreds of millions around the world are struggling to make a living, at this moment. As I said on another thread, I expect the consequences of the economic shutdown to be 100 times worse than the virus itself. It is like making a facial pimple into a cancerous tumor. More people died last year in Italy, of pulmonary issues in two weeks time, than the total number of worldwide deaths to date from corona. 

This zombie apocalypse reaction, with regard to the economy is so far beyond inane, that it barely merits discussion. Millions could die of starvation in India alone. 

Yet again Mike a very accurate valid and important a point. 

Albeit contentious and unpleasant for some to stomach.  As in wars the young are sacrificed, with Covid19 this will be the old, sick and less healthy.  I believe this is very possibly a natural cleansing and rejuvenation process.  We must let it run its course, whilst also following sensible, logical precautions.  There will be heavy collateral losses.  Mostly the elderly, sick or ones with existent health issues.  Those of whom are a huge drain on most developing and third world nations.

The path which we are taking now with widespread panic, hysteria and totally unnecessary overblown measures, will without any doubt impact far far greater the entire population that would otherwise have survived the virus.  We will see widespread famine, poverty, social unrest, crime and violence.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Truth is the tourist industry was on its way down long before this very convenient virus excuse turned up......   and we all know why and at who's orders........  

Not-really,  why and at who's orders. There is nothing wrong with conspiracy theories if they are valid. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, joecoolfrog said:

Better for who ?

Not the girls who service them or the establishments that provide them with a bed , food and drink.

Better for Thailand's image , well given that 90% of the sex trade is driven by domestic consumption , well not that either.

If Pattaya , Nana , Soi Cowboy , Patpong , Bangla Rd all ceased to exist , there would still be thousands of massage parlours , Karaoke bars etc offering sexual services.

If you dont like the concept , why choose to live in Thailand , prostitution has been part of the culture for centuries.

Oh just ignore this Richard Cranium. Insanity has overtaken him / her.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

Well they will be promoting Pattaya more as a Family destination  place  in the future as the bar scene will be a thing of the past

Most bars will out of business bankrupt  ect

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz boring. Go to sleep (doomsayer).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

Well they will be promoting Pattaya more as a Family destination  place  in the future as the bar scene will be a thing of the past

Most bars will out of business bankrupt  ect

When all is well again the ladies will be back in droves, they still have children and parents to support. The gentlemen with the comb-overs, ale guts, socks and sandals etc will also be back and desperate to help. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Youlike said:

Try harder!

As a man you even can't walk around in Pattaya because the ladyboys will harass and even sexually abuse you on the street.

Don't try to change it - change yourself and allow yourself to be ravished by ladyboys - easy !!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, robert888d said:

Hopefully by Christmas things will have improved and the tourists will be zooming back. especially if the Baht had fallen.

I’m afraid that even if lockdowns within most countries have eased by then, international borders will still be firmly shut to ordinary tourists, and will stay that way for some time to come. Maybe Christmas the year after that if we’re lucky, when people will have accepted that the China virus is something that we just have to get used to living with, until eventually enough people are immune or the virus itself has mutated into less dangerous strains. Will countries ever allow tourists from China again, given that it’s inevitable that some time in the future they’ll bring another kind of deadly virus with them, maybe this time one that mostly kills the young more than the old.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Better for the image of the normal expat and foreign tourist.

Yes, better for the prostitutes. Try working in a drug and alcohol rehab like I have for 15 years, and you'll see the OTHER side of girls forced into the sex trade, often by their parents/husbands. I know there are many monger that are in total denial, like all addicts.

Prostitution has been part of every culture, but Pattaya has been turned into a place where the dregs of Thailand meet sad old sex addicts and dregs of the world(pimps, organised crime/mafias, etc). 

Some of us here integrate into society, learn the language, have kids,apply for Naturalization, etc The 60 year-year-old Change vest fatty with a 25 year year old prostitute are a huge embarrassment to us and we are often tarred with the same brush.

Don't bite men !!! This one is a feminist disguised as a man trying to control and shame ( as usual )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, CGW said:

That sums up the "average" Thai worker, a VERY large percentage have zero pride in the finished product! ???? 

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Imagine spending your life doing a job you have no pride in.

Well BB I'm of the opinion most work robs your body and soul. Let's face it - if we were mega rich why would you want to work eeeek. That's what we all secretly aspire to. Total enjoyment of life without some moronic, control freak boss controlling your life.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, CGW said:
39 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Well at first it seemed the hot weather was stopping the virus, but it spreaded in singapore so that should have ringed some bells..

Why? Singapore is half the size of Bangkok with a different lifestyle to the rest of Asia.

It should have spread in Bangkok weeks ago if we analyse the situation with the information we have? ????

Because singapore is just as hot as BKK, maybe 3 degree's colder.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

was in Pattaya last week and very very quiet. Would it not make sense to use some of the out of work locals to clean and repair all the filthy footpaths and alleyways. Seeing it so quiet really showed how dirty and decrepit the whole place is.  If they want people back , at  least try and make a little bit more inviting. Beach road looks a bomb site. Why can Thias never finish as they go. They seem to stop and star , but never complete, while leaving their rubbish everywhere.

But at least they have a tractor and sand cleaner going up and down the beach, just a pity it never seems to get all the rubbish dumped nearer to the footpaths

That requires a bizarre and exotic thing called "local pride".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

That requires a bizarre and exotic thing called "local pride".

Indeed , but how is "local pride" instilled in people? to have pride you have to have some sort of ownership, from birth this is denied to the average Thai!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The less sex tourists that come to Thailand has to better for the rest of us. 

I am the last person to bother about sex tourists and their haunts, but surely you have to think about the ugly overweight guys who depend on the sex trade to get their rocks off. ????

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Incorrect. For $500,000 invested in a home that you have full title to, any other real estate or a business, you get a green card in the US. That is permanent legal residency. No 90 day check ins. No inane annual visa hassle. 

Isn't $500,000 about 16 million baht? I believe you can get VIP visas for 20 years here for $20,000.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, waders123 said:

In the middle of this crisis I wouldn't be surprised that someone from the higher up food chain decides its a good idea during this "quiet" time to go ahead and implement right hand driving to the country.  Their logic will be fewer drivers on the roads now so easier to get everyone used to the switch-over!  

they drive on the other side   a  lot of  the time anyway but mainly at any corners, perhaps just  letting them drive on both sides?

• Haha 1

Just now, possum1931 said:

I am the last person to bother about sex tourists and their haunts, but surely you have to think about the ugly overweight guys who depend on the sex trade to get their rocks off. ????

I wonder what they are doing now. Will lockdown turn them into doing things that prisoners do?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2