Parents of AFS students to seek PM’s help to return their children to Thailand

webfact

Parents of AFS students to seek PM’s help to return their children to Thailand

PM-10.jpg

Cr.@prayutofficial

The parents of about 200 Thai students, currently in the USA under the American Field Service (AFS) exchange program, will meet with Thailand’s Prime Minister and Foreign Minister tomorrow (Monday) to seek government support to bring their children back to Thailand.

Some of the parents told Thai PBS that the children who are abroad for the first time are very afraid of catching COVID-19 while in the United States, and that they have never been in such a potentially hazardous situation.

“Sometimes, when necessary, our children go outside wearing face masks and are stared at as though they are strange creatures because, there in the US, most people are not wearing face masks,” said one parent.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/parents-of-afs-students-to-seek-pms-help-to-return-their-children-to-thailand/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-03-30

Their schools are likely closed. And they would have been returning within 90 days. There are still flights available, mostly through the ME.

My guess is that "Fit-to-Fly" certificate and Covid-free tests are the issue. So parents may be looking for a waiver?

We just sent 1 Thai exchange student back on Thursday in the YFU program. We were notified Monday, set up doctor Tuesday since the flight was Friday, then Thai embassy in D.C. waived the 72 hour rule for fit to fly, so we made an earlier appointment.  Student filled out online forms with doctor paper, flight schedule, and passport, received fit to fly in 4 hours. We then notified YFU to purchase tickets for Friday.  YFU then bought the same tickets thru JAL but for Thursday.  This did NOT work for JAL at check-in and we spent all but a few remaining minutes getting a NEW fit to fly.  An ordeal that seems totally unnecessary for a Thai citizen.

While I sympathise with parents not having their kids home and worrying about them...they sent them there, the kids should stay there. They should be covered by insurance otherwise, no one in their right mind goes to the US. Unnecessary travelling through high risk areas like airports, aircraft, etc. 

With regards to mask wearing in western countries, cultural differences mean, when in Rome.....

I'm western, read what the WHO says about masks, but I'm still 'expected' to conform with cultural norms here in Thailand.

• Like 1

How many students are they? Hundreds or thousands or a couple dozen? Are they all near a major airport or spread thru out the states?  Feel real sorry for the ones in New York. Hope they all get back safe however many there are.

Hmmm, let's see the parents are rich, contribute to the party... Students are based in the high risk cities...with upper middle class to upper class host parents.... and with high speed internet connections.  Sounds like an emergency.  Better have the Public Health Ministers work this... as he is the EXPERT with Westerners.

On 3/30/2020 at 4:23 AM, webfact said:

very afraid of catching COVID-19 while in the United States, and that they have never been in such a potentially hazardous situation.

I'll bet they are on a Thai road at least every other day and some even ride in the back of those covered pickups (or on a motorcycle).