Old truckers manifest yourself

How can a truck engine work at - 46 * C?
I remember some mornings at the Aosta airport  autoport , where we must stop to clear our goods when they were perishable goods , at the bottom of the Mont Blanc tunnel on the Italian side;
the assistance air bottle was regularly frozen as well as the hoses that transport the air; we put the fire every morning under this bottle while waiting for it to thaw,

but it never did such an extreme temperature.
That was for French-made tractors.:wacko:
Never had the slightest problem with my Volvo or Scania tractors

Is the bird on the hood of your tractor engine alive?
If so, I know why it is there; like my cats when I come back from a pickup race; they love to put themselves in this place because it is hot for a very long time.

Edited by Assurancetourix

9 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

How can a truck engine work at - 46 * C?

Only gets shut down to change the oil.

We use a belly tarp to stop air flow under the engine, and a winter front to stop the cold air from cooling the rad too much

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Is the bird on the hood of your tractor engine alive?

It landed there while I was driving.

Same as the one on the mirror.

Looking for a food handout.

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

For the really old ones?

Thank you ;

but in France for international routes, we are always alone in the cab ;

sometimes with  a beautiful hitchhiker :crazy: ...

In the STG company of which I speak above there were always two drivers but only in the truck-trailers and in national transport because they are the ones who unloaded the truck and the trailer at the customer.
One thing I could not do because I am too tall ( 6' 3" ) ;

to carry half an ox on the shoulder is not within the reach of the first comer and if it is too high it is too hard for him when it is necessary to unhook the quarter of his hook.
In international transport, always alone, even if sometimes the distances to be covered were enormous.
The drivers who went down to Sicily, at the very bottom of Italy had 3,000 km to go and as much on the return; 6,000 km in the week;

you can understand that if you were driving at 80 km / h, the maximum speed allowed, you could not get there.
But that a policeman cannot understand it ...

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

We use a belly tarp to stop air flow under the engine, and a winter front to stop the cold air from cooling the rad too much

I remember, 40 years ago we changed oil every 50,000 km = every 3 months
now it's every 100,000 km; that on heavy trucks;
and on my Isuzu pickup it's still every 10,000 km ..
Maybe I should do like on the maxi trucks; scale less often; every 20,000?

• Like 2

Then I entered a Rennes company (France, department 35) where I drove a coach on the Rennes _ Fougeres line;
I did the messaging at the same time as the travelers;

over 53 km, there were 15 compulsory stops ...
the coach in question was a Chausson whose power was 120 CV

As on the photo I pick on internet ; 

Jean-Henri Manara   JHM-1971-1136 - Périgueux, autocar Chausson - photo on his Flickr gallery

JHM-1971-1136 - Périgueux, autocar Chausson

The engine is at the front beside the driver; and the gearshift lever is horizontal, protruding from the dashboard;
5 forward and 1 reverse speeds

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

-55C In Russia. We used to make our own fuel mix. 50% Diesel x 50% Kerosene. I brought this technique to the UK. Whilst everyone was using Red Diesel in their cars i would mix 50/50 with Heating Oil (AKA Kerosene). 1 GBP per Liter for Diesel. 0.18 GBP per liter for Heating Oil. They must have thought i had the warmest house in the UK. 

I worked for my dad's company in Manchester. My old man was one of the first people to run from the UK to the Middle East during the 1974 war. 3800 Miles one way. Might not sound a lot to North Americans but there are something like 13-15 borders to cross if i remeber correctly. 

• Like 1

Just now, canthai55 said:

Oil companies supplying Northern Canada make Arctic Diesel.

Cold not an issue

They do in Russia but back then the further you went East the more the diesel got cut. Safest way was to make your own. We were and oilfield service company. Tanks, pumps and filters were not and issue. 

• Like 2

In France fuel oil and diesel are exactly the same except that the fuel oil is colored red.
It is a zero-rated fuel, therefore very inexpensive, that only sailors and farmers have the right to use as fuel for their motor vehicles.
If a transporter is caught for having used fuel oil instead of diesel, he is entitled to a very heavy fine which will make him want to start again.

Kerosene (between 100 and 130) has an octane rating very different from that of diesel (between 50 and 60), it is the fuel of airplanes.
So mix two fuels with very different octane numbers (from simple to double) ... I don't really see what it is for.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Lindsay Fox started off with a secondhand truck doing deliveries in Melbourne. He's now the patriarch of a sprawling business empire, his trucks are even in Thailand.

Certainly no snowflake, he got the reputation of being a tough nut in a hard business.

Certainly a tough nut business-wise, but he was quite a lovely bloke socially back in the early days at least. I had the plessure of dating his daughter back in the early 70s in Melbourne, and though he was already measurably successful with Linfox even then, he was a lot of fun to hang out with and had a laugh that would shake a building. The external image he portrayed was polar opposite though.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Everything is made of wood and heavy steel;

I think in part is that the truck's and trailers used in Thailand are built to a price rather than standards and one of the reasons you don't see too many European motive units like Scania , Mercedes , MAN , Renault etc on the road as they are overly more expensive to produce in complying with higher European standards by being fitted with airbag suspension , lighter wheel rims , long range fuel tanks , air tanks made of aluminium etc which all contributes to a lower unladen weight making them more fuel efficient .. Units I see a lot of in Thailand like Hino , Isuzu , Nissan along with some of the more recent Chinese trucks all stick with heavy steel road springs , heavy steel wheel rims along with a lot of bracket's , stays , anchor's and other stuff that is needed to put a truck together whereby the likes of Mercedes and MAN will for example manufacture the cab step , the exhaust stack steady bars etc from aluminium and so on .. All this put together gives European trucks a lower ULW which means then they can haul more cargo upto their Max loaded weight .. And when you move that upto multi axle rigids the potential difference in weight becomes even greater .. 

Ditto trailers here , heavy dump trailers are often heavy gauge steel and wood while articulated heavy trailers again run steel springs , rims , bracketry .. 

CNG conversions ( the 6 sometimes 8 torpedo looking tubes stacked behind the cab ) that you see on a lot of motive units in the Kingdom also contribute to a greater ULW as does the use of double drive rear axle configurations or 6x4 for motorway and trunking work .. Not only is a drive axle heavy in weight increasing the ULW the drag thru' it's differential and wheel bearings not to mention chewing the tyres up manoeuvering all add upto increased fuel consumption .. 

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Ever see them use weed burners to heat up a frozen engine?

Dude, out of no where, you have unleashed yourself as the realman on this forum.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

I worked for my dad's company in Manchester. My old man was one of the first people to run from the UK to the Middle East during the 1974 war. 3800 Miles one way. Might not sound a lot to North Americans but there are something like 13-15 borders to cross if i remeber correctly. 

There were many transportation companies that made the line to the Gulf countries in the early 1970s;
in the parking lot of the Aosta autoporto we often saw the STOUFF trailer trucks;
in fact there were a lot of French and Swiss carriers who were traveling to the Middle East.
Chapuis, Federici, Onatra, Valenton International who drove on Baghdad, etc ...
and then there were some extraterrestrials like the drivers of the company Harding Bros in Bristol who went to Pakistan with frozen chickens!
three months to go back and forth !!!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

The first truck I drove was a Berliet GLR; it was a dump truck, like in the photo I found on the internet;

It was in July 1971

http://www.framery.fr/benne/963-berliet-glr-benne.html

berliet-glr-benne.jpg.a5007801a9f213a63b645dc00bd5ada9.jpg

Fast fwd 50 yrs..my eldest lad drives these in a Rio Tinto iron ore mine in Pilbara ,Western Australia.Loaders to fill it can carry 100 ton each bucket! Google photo.06BAF051-4689-4305-A96F-A1E1B6E07C53.thumb.png.052764524c7eaf2415804c70de8fbb8f.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Olmate said:

Certainly a dinkum hard man...see below and note  a couple of his battling Ozzie mates..DB542759-3FDF-461B-98DF-DA0828B4BACD.thumb.png.dc07a69c21af08cdb87c0c1ea9cbee62.png

I think he lives in Chiangrai area nowadays ..........????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

I remember, 40 years ago we changed oil every 50,000 km = every 3 months
now it's every 100,000 km; that on heavy trucks;
and on my Isuzu pickup it's still every 10,000 km ..
Maybe I should do like on the maxi trucks; scale less often; every 20,000?

If you use a full synthetic, 20,000 Km should be no problem.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Fast fwd 50 yrs..my eldest lad drives these in a Rio Tinto iron ore mine in Pilbara ,Western Australia.Loaders to fill it can carry 100 ton each bucket! Google photo.06BAF051-4689-4305-A96F-A1E1B6E07C53.thumb.png.052764524c7eaf2415804c70de8fbb8f.png

Memories. You've reminded me of when a mining engineer at Goldsworthy parked his pickup in the wrong place, and a Haulpak reversed over it. Reduced it to about a foot high. The driver of the Haulpak said he felt a slight bump.

At Mt. Tom Price, in the early stages, the dump trucks were coming down a slope from the mine workings. Drivers were instructed to bail out if they got above 5 km/hr, because the brakes wouldn't hold them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

However, I continue to photograph the trucks that drive along  in Thailand.

yaaaawwnnn

lol

sorry couldn't resist, I'm sure its a pleasant pass time ????

Edited by NightSky

28 minutes ago, rumak said:

Assurance..........how many years did you truck ?

Nearly thirty years  ;

But the last years I was a civil servant for the post office in Paris; I was still driving trucks but little ones ; yellow trucks for the french post only inside Paris intra-muros ;

When a civil servant I was not only a truck driver; I worked also in the post trains :

Paris - Belfort, in fact Paris - Mulhouse  and terminus in Basel, Switzerland ..

Paris - Charleville 

Paris Strasbourg 

What i was driving as a civil servant ( it's not me on the photo )

1971260860_camionLaPoste.jpg.1f0e6de77b785de5b72122c65355124a.jpg

• Thanks 1