BANGKOK
webfact

Pattaya: "Zero" tourists - last remaining Russians have cancelled and tourism industry faces 80% closure for up to a year

13 minutes ago, Leaver said:

That's an interesting graph.  Males are over represented in all of the listed countries, yet, females generally live longer than males, so many deceased female would be older than the deceased males. 

One theory is that older men are more likely to die because of low testosterone levels (which go down as we get older of course as nature doesn't really want us fathering children into our 90s unless you're a famous actor or something).

So one would have to wonder if perhaps estrogen plays a factor in why women seem to have a higher survival rate.

As the one article mentions, it's too early into this pandemic and there are so many questions and even when they come up with a possible answer, it needs to be peer reviewed (tested independently by another organization under controlled circumstances to see if their results match those of the originating doctor/lab).
Even then, it is subject to review and further testing and the end result may still be "we don't know for sure, but we think so". 

And there are so many questions being asked (of the professional, medical kind) and so many people researching those questions, it could be many more months before some of those questions have definitive answers.

Which may actually lead to even more questions.

Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2020 at 9:45 AM, webfact said:

He said that 80% of the tourism industry in Pattaya faces either temporary or permanent closure. 

The effect of the outbreak will be felt for at least 10 to 12 months. 

3pm2.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

He expected sell offs to foreign business interests (...)

Fear not, Pattaya! As soon as Thai and expat business owners throw in the towel, entrepreneurs from 'big brother up north' will buy up what's left for pennies on the dollar, as they will around the world, which is ironic as (where did all this start, again)... ?

They will bring their own hoteliers, restaurant staff, taxi drivers, tour guides, construction workers, architects, and engineers to rebuild Pattaya to their needs. Perhaps even their own, light-skinned, h***ers...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Fear not, Pattaya! As soon as Thai and expat business owners throw in the towel, entrepreneurs from 'big brother up north' will buy up what's left for pennies on the dollar, as they will around the world, which is ironic as (where did all this start, again)... ?

They will bring their own hoteliers, restaurant staff, taxi drivers, tour guides, construction workers, architects, and engineers to rebuild Pattaya to their needs. Perhaps even their own, light-skinned, h***ers...

Thailand wanted the Chinese.  Thailand got the Chinese.  🙂

Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2020 at 8:49 AM, ChipButty said:

If and when the flights are allowed back into Thailand what do you reckon the prices will be? only last week Phuket back to Manchester 4000 grand one way

singapore to LA/SFO/ SEA, for May departures are nice and cheap, less than $1000 for econ, 3 grand for business. UK to bkk is less than 500 pounds for may departures.

Edited by i84teen

17 hours ago, i84teen said:

singapore to LA/SFO/ SEA, for May departures are nice and cheap, less than $1000 for econ, 3 grand for business. UK to bkk is less than 500 pounds for may departures.

Did a test purchase with Thai Airlines on their app for a return trip LHR - BKK In December. Was quoted £968, which is over twice what I paid for a recent trip to Thailand. Price will have to drop for me to actually make that possible trip.

5 hours ago, Finspin said:

Did a test purchase with Thai Airlines on their app for a return trip LHR - BKK In December. Was quoted £968, which is over twice what I paid for a recent trip to Thailand. Price will have to drop for me to actually make that possible trip.

Did the same.  Picked some dates around 6 months from now, all expensive.  I'm surprised they were even for sale, or at least appeared so.  No one knows when certain countries will let people out, and let people in, so why are the airlines selling tickets? 

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Picked some dates around 6 months from now, all expensive.  I'm surprised they were even for sale, or at least appeared so. 

Do not even think about booking any tickets until the crisis is over.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, balo said:

Do not even think about booking any tickets until the crisis is over.  

I wasn't.  I have no need to.  just interested in when the airlines seem to think they were going to be taking to the skies again, and when they think boarders will be open that will allow them to do so.

Once again, not even sure why they are even selling tickets, if they actually are.  I didn't take the search right up to the payment process. 

Very few Thais  that I know are getting the 5000 baht government assistance even though their jobs or small businesses have shut down ,, many are in trouble  cant pay rents, motorsai hp , savings going etc  its a sick joke ,, i reckon a lot of the money is being syphoned off by the bureaucrats ,,,

Cant see pattaya returning to any form of normal for 18months at least ,,my girlfriend veg and fruit farm supplies 2 markets in pattaya  they are now very quiet also she supplies 5 restaurants  and they are closed ,, she cant get hold of ferltiliser either ,, here income has gone down 75%   she wont get any government help ,,, my ex wifes taxi tour business is closed  down she is isolating  no income at present  and wont get any 5000 baht a month from government ,,

my thai neighbour  owns a restaurant its shut down he pays 25,000 month rent  but has no income also a mortgage ,, he is not getting any government help ???

things are bad

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

Very few Thais  that I know are getting the 5000 baht government assistance even though their jobs or small businesses have shut down ,, many are in trouble  cant pay rents, motorsai hp , savings going etc  its a sick joke ,, i reckon a lot of the money is being syphoned off by the bureaucrats ,,,

Cant see pattaya returning to any form of normal for 18months at least ,,my girlfriend veg and fruit farm supplies 2 markets in pattaya  they are now very quiet also she supplies 5 restaurants  and they are closed ,, she cant get hold of ferltiliser either ,, here income has gone down 75%   she wont get any government help ,,, my ex wifes taxi tour business is closed  down she is isolating  no income at present  and wont get any 5000 baht a month from government ,,

my thai neighbour  owns a restaurant its shut down he pays 25,000 month rent  but has no income also a mortgage ,, he is not getting any government help ???

things are bad

Government help = deceiving the Thai people. 

6 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

things are bad

While it's sad people are struggling little thought has gone into having a slush fund for a rainy day, people here live WELL beyond their means, everything on HP, must show off to Somchai next door etc.

This can also be said of many countries the world over.

On 3/30/2020 at 11:42 AM, NCC1701A said:

condo values will be of course totally unaffected. 

a very small percentage of properties never get affected by economic reasons no matter what unless the whole town was devastated by a massive earthquake or something. but these are maybe only 5% or less( i.e. drop-dead unobstructed panaromic ocean/city views).Of course the rest will be #ucked

On 4/12/2020 at 1:07 AM, Leaver said:

Did the same.  Picked some dates around 6 months from now, all expensive.  I'm surprised they were even for sale, or at least appeared so.  No one knows when certain countries will let people out, and let people in, so why are the airlines selling tickets? 

I feel airfares will rise, as they will not be allowed to carry as many passengers, certain countries will not be letting people in from countries unless tested and cleared of infection. Even with a vaccine this will not change for sometime.

Travelers will have carry a vaccination certificate.  

Was reading somewhere that the airlines have come up with some new spin where the center seats in the rows of 3 will be left empty to allow more space, with only a small increase in price ---- like 50% or something.