Pattaya: "Zero" tourists - last remaining Russians have cancelled and tourism industry faces 80% closure for up to a year

webfact

How does Pattaya get restarted?  The workers need to be in place to draw the tourist but the workers aren't gonna be there until there is business. The planes won't be flying to Thailand and yet the flyers are going to have to wait until there are flights.  Which came first the chicken or the egg type of scene. Yes, Yes, I understand; bribes probably come first but still.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

How does Pattaya get restarted?  The workers need to be in place to draw the tourist but the workers aren't gonna be there until there is business. The planes won't be flying to Thailand and yet the flyers are going to have to wait until there are flights.  Which came first the chicken or the egg type of scene. Yes, Yes, I understand; bribes probably come first but still.

The expats will keep them busy, one of the upsides if i get Corona and survive i can feel my boots

34 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

Out of all the news reports coming  from the rest of the world ,Thailand seems to be the only country banging on about tourist numbers

they are suppose to ....it's their major income producer

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

People won't forget that this is the China virus, i think it will have a bad effect on China too

As far as Thailand is concerned, the Chinese won't care what the locals think of them.  They will own the businesses they want, and the Thai's will be working for them. 

The "one belt on road" initiative is set to get wider and longer, very quickly.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

China and India represents half the worlds population. And they are not all budget tourists, as the conventional bar-stool wisdom would have you believe.

True. Chinese independent travelers were certainly contributing to keeping Hilton and the other Pattaya Beach hotels filled.  The new Amari all-suites addition was not built for budget tourists.  There were also lots of Chinese families and young Chinese groups in Wong Amat, as well.  We have sold 7MB and 10MB condos to Chinese couples in their 30s, in addition to 3 other condos in the 3MB range.  I remember when I was in my 30s I was barely keeping one roof over my head--they're able to buy holiday condos in Thailand.  It will take some time but the Chinese and Indian tourists will eventually be back--along with those who have bought getaway condos here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

It will take some time but the Chinese and Indian tourists will eventually be back--along with those who have bought getaway condos here.

It will be interesting to see what they are coming back to, and coming back for.  Pattaya will be very different after all this is over.

Pattaya / Thailand, as with the rest of the world, has basically been hit by an economic tsunami.  

I agree, they will be back, but it will not be anytime soon.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Does that mean that the government will take this opportunity to stimulat eht economic recovery by underatking major infrastructure projects to improve roads, sanitation, footpaths, power supplies ??

Or should one remove the rose coloured glasses??

Around Pattaya a lot of work on the roads is done everywhere in the city. Might become pretty good soon imo.

• Like 1

Maybe government and locals will be welcoming toward the remaining expats (was like that once)

One thing that stuck in my mind 22 years ago was that I was told "you have to be aware of the other expats trying to rip you off"

My own experience over the years proved it's quite true although I've lost money to Thais I've lost a lot more to farang 

Note to self: Don't trust anyone in future

• Like 2

13 hours ago, exparte said:

I think he is correct. I would go even father and say that tourist will not be back for 18 months. We all know the ignorance of most countries; Thailand will always be viewed as Asia and the Epicenter of the virus and people planning their Holidays will opt to choose other destinations. Pattaya and several other tourist destinations in Thailand will be devastated; Thailand as a whole will have to re-think its Tourist Economy. 

Do you think this might include an improvement on the way they treat the few expats that remain?

One thing I'm going to miss is all the imported food currently available in supermarkets. With no one to buy it it's sure to peter out. 

• Like 1

For all the comedian ex prats who are thinking this is great, there regular watering holes will have to close because they cannot run a business model of buy 1 soft drink, have free buffet. They need the holiday guys to flash the cash.

Until a working vaccine is found and administered, who is going to get on a plane and risk coming to Thailand.

9 hours ago, soalbundy said:

In addition the measures taken by Western countries to protect the workers who have lost their jobs etc means a recession and higher taxation is on the cards when covid-19 runs down. Many businesses in the west will have gone bust by then and many airlines aren't sure if they will survive either so Thailand/Asia in general is looking at low tourist numbers for some years to come.

The bulk of tourists coming to Thailand will be from India, China and Korea, all relatively close by. They will come back too from the West; Pattaya's USP will see to that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

How do you re-model a lousy beach with filthy ocean water?

Chance to clean the ocean, good recycling can be put in place and populace trained, sanitation plants upgraded and ocen outpours ceased.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The requirements to have health certificates and 100,000 baht insurance policies have put paid to that. 

I thought that was only for long term stays and that the insurance wasn't imposed yet. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Surely it doesn't apply to visa exempt entries as no tourist is going to shell out 100,000 for a 30 days stay? the vast majority of tourists enter for short visits of less than a month.

I have many times in the past said that I'd like to see tourism in Pattaya vanish as I hated the way it has gone in this century, and wanted the good old days of the 90s back. Seems I got my wish, but unfortunately it's not going to lead to a return to 90s cheap and cheerful with full barbeers and gogos, but probably more towards exclusive Chinese/ Indian visitors as farangs desert it in droves.

Not what I wanted at all.

24 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Chance to clean the ocean, good recycling can be put in place and populace trained, sanitation plants upgraded and ocen outpours ceased.

and then you woke up!

If they didn't do that when there was billions of baht pouring into the city, why would they do it when there is little or no money coming in at all?

If there is a bright side to this, it's that the tea money from the bars for a certain element has vanished. Perhaps ( am I dreaming? ) they will start actually enforcing the laws to get the fines.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Why would people be selling ? Expats who live here are not going anywhere, foreigners with holiday condos are probably keeping them to come to when the virus is over. Thais are getting government assistance to pay the rent or put mortgages on hold.

Sure, There will be business closures and job losses etc but no point throwing the baby out with the bathwater and dumping property at a loss. 

If people are dumping properties after a few weeks of the virus, a few weeks of no tennants, then they must have already been in bad shape.

Because a lot of businesses have been living hand to mouth for a long time...selling the chattels is the only way to get some money to eat or return home to the province

12 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Sex industry faces closure.. I wonder what the new Pattaya beach resort looks like.

Maybe it's time for them to focus on what real tourists want and not the old sex brigade of beer & fun.
Time to re-model Pattaya for when this is all over or just bring back the old rubbish.

Not sure about that.... the other industries will need to ramp up demand. The sex industry, well that demand is ramping up as we speak... pent-up even. There will be a rush when the first MPs re-open in town. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, baansgr said:

No need to gleam at others misfortunes, as we see a crisis can bring out the very best in people or the very worst....you don't have any masks, sanitizer or eggs for sale do you?

Tired of seeing people complain when the writing has been on the wall for years.  No masks, sanitizer, or eggs sorry.  I plan for myself and family.  I suggest you do the same.  I’d be willing to trade for bullets though.  You got ammo? Like I said I’m 100% ready ????????????

The hotels will still be there after 12 months.    So when everything is back to normal and the borders opens up, there will be jobs waiting for the locals, even if it will take some time.  

We can paint a gloomy picture, but it's just a virus, a deadly one that we will never forget. But the world has to carry on at one point. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Because a lot of businesses have been living hand to mouth for a long time...selling the chattels is the only way to get some money to eat or return home to the province

Heard the land office is closed. No blood on the streets yet.  I’m not buying real estate until there is.  Pretty much looking at 30% of Premium would be a great place to start. Everyone who thought it wouldn’t end, gimme your assets for cheap ????

30 minutes ago, AlohaBKk said:

So true.  I hope there is a better version of the world when it’s over.  Hope it takes out all the scum in that city that have been playing while others have been doing the right thing.  This is Pattaya’s chance to rebrand into something other than a sex crazed cesspool.  Get rid of the punters, the scam artists, and the filth.  Start over and build something that thailand can be proud of. Nobody in Thailand likes knowing that Pattaya is the prostitution capital of Asia. Time for a restart.   

Don't think there is any budget to improve or change things for the better. Waiting for a vaccine and they will carrying on just like before Corona. Its still the same people !

Edited by Destiny1990