Pattaya: "Zero" tourists - last remaining Russians have cancelled and tourism industry faces 80% closure for up to a year

webfact

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Bull-doze the whole area & start from scratch, they got one year to do it.

If it's high end tourism they want why don't they take a good look at how it's really done.

Look at Jumeiarh Dubai UAE

They know the oil is running out so they are building an entire new tourism city, they have a vision, and it won't have a single go go bar... 

Poor people won't go there because it's no fun, and rich people don't want to go somewhere they can't leave the house because it's too hot.

Anyway, all countries dependent on tourism better buckle up because we'll probably have more important things to spend our diminished wages on than flying off somewhere to lie by a pool, like food.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

CNN reports Moscow has imposed a citywide quarantine for all residents, starting March 30 until further notice.

Moscow here. Yes, it’s been imposed, but it’s been done in an illegal way, I (so far) have no problems going anywhere. The problem is that 2 days before that Russian borders were closed FOR DEPARTURES. 
My mom who lives in another country on a residence permit is now stranded in Russia with no possibility to return home (though the country of her residence is ready to let her in).
Many countries are now closed for arrivals, but Russia is the only country in the world (I guess) which takes people hostages.

So it’s obviously impossible to go to Thailand now even for people who wish to. Though I guess there’s not much to do in Thailand now anyway.
I believe Thailand is quite a safe place at the moment, they have a hot climate and the “aging” Chinese virus (not the “fresh” Italian one). The case growth in Thailand is no way exponential. Moscow alone, in comparison,  took just two weeks to overtake the whole Thailand by the number of cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balo said:

The hotels will still be there after 12 months.    So when everything is back to normal and the borders opens up, there will be jobs waiting for the locals, even if it will take some time.  

We can paint a gloomy picture, but it's just a virus, a deadly one that we will never forget. But the world has to carry on at one point. 

Yeah, it's just a virus, but the actions governments are taking in reaction to it are going to change our world, probably for ever.

Humanity will carry on, but only till the next virus pandemic, and the one after that, and the one after that.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AlohaBKk said:

So true.  I hope there is a better version of the world when it’s over.  Hope it takes out all the scum in that city that have been playing while others have been doing the right thing.  This is Pattaya’s chance to rebrand into something other than a sex crazed cesspool.  Get rid of the punters, the scam artists, and the filth.  Start over and build something that thailand can be proud of. Nobody in Thailand likes knowing that Pattaya is the prostitution capital of Asia. Time for a restart.   

If you don't like Pattaya why don't you go to any of the hundreds of other places that will happily take your money?

Why the obsession with Pattaya?

Nobody in Thailand likes knowing that Pattaya is the prostitution capital of Asia.

Sure 555555555555

The thousands that live off the night scene in Pattaya like it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you don't like Pattaya why don't you go to any of the hundreds of other places that will happily take your money?

Nobody in Thailand likes knowing that Pattaya is the prostitution capital of Asia.

Sure 555555555555

So do the buffalo's up in Nakorn Nowhere

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Not to mention the BIB. They must be losing a fortune right now trying to extract cash from businesses with no customers. Or checkpoints with no vehicles. They'll be like Lions that haven't eaten for 2 months.

Love it.  Maybe they'll take up a hobby like saving lives on the road? 

On 2nd thoughts, there's not much money in that.

The coming crime wave might keep them busy.

55 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Don't think there is any budget to improve or change things for the better. Waiting for a vaccine and they will carrying on just like before Corona. Its still the same people !

Wouldn’t it be nice for Darwin to take out all the irresponsible people? Pray it gets worse so it can get better.  Sonamnaaa pattaya.... your day of reckoning is here.  

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sure 555555555555

It’s a pretty big black mark on a country trying to push itself in a better direction.  Just as gentrification happens in most areas the same will apply to Pattaya.  I’m sure thai people don’t appreciate it.  Let’s be honest pattaya doesn’t bring the best foreigners anyways.  Tbh the punters are the problem and bring their problems too.  The city didn’t start out that way.  Foreigners brought it.  Maybe it’s time they start trying to kick the scrubs out and attract better people.  Actually since everything is <deleted> down...now is a great time to start.  ????

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Love it.  Maybe they'll take up a hobby like saving lives on the road? 

On 2nd thoughts, there's not much money in that.

The coming crime wave might keep them busy.

Nobody on the road

2 hours ago, AlohaBKk said:

The city didn’t start out that way.  Foreigners brought it.  Maybe it’s time they start trying to kick the scrubs out and attract better people.

That's not actually the case.  Once Thai women realised that they could make big money by prostituting themselves to US servicemen, they moved to Pattaya to do so.  So while you could probably say it started in that area because foreign people came, it's really the Thai people that "brought it".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

That's not actually the case.  Once Thai women realised that they could make big money by prostituting themselves to US servicemen, they moved to Pattaya to do so.  So while you could probably say it started in that area because foreign people came, it's really the Thai people that "brought it".

It was firstly an RR location during the Vietnam war.  It just exploded from there, and well here we are today with something that once was a very beautiful location has turned into a garbage dump.  Now do not get me wrong ,there are still a lot of great views, but there were more before the boom times and growth of a large coastal community.

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It was firstly an RR location during the Vietnam war.  It just exploded from there, and well here we are today with something that once was a very beautiful location has turned into a garbage dump.  Now do not get me wrong ,there are still a lot of great views, but there were more before the boom times and growth of a large coastal community.

Impossible to put the genie back in the bottle

Changing attitudes and culture take time, effort, community engagement, and correct socioeconomic circumstances

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stubby52 said:

You should see the state of the sea in Pattaya now it has turned blue and actually looks inviting!

To go with the widened beach, which has been kept clean for several years now.  Beautiful view of the beach and ocean this morning.

When the "scene" does eventually reopen, IMO it'll be drastically reduced.  Many businesses simply do not have the capital to keep paying rent, electricity, key money, etc. without a regular income.  Everything that depends on the entertainment industry will suffer too; hotels, transport, neon sign makers, etc.  In the UK, there are all sorts of payment holidays and deferrals on offer to make sure businesses survive, but here they'll still want their pound of flesh.

This could be a good thing in some cases as there have been way too many bars for years now - I'm hoping my favourites make it.  ????

Girls?  They'll return, for many it's simply a better way of life than a "normal" job.

7 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Chance to clean the ocean, good recycling can be put in place and populace trained, sanitation plants upgraded and ocen outpours ceased.

All of that costs money.

Thailand is all about minimum money out, for maximum money in, and you only have to look at Thailand's safety record for tourists to see that.

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Look at Jumeiarh Dubai UAE

They know the oil is running out so they are building an entire new tourism city, they have a vision, and it won't have a single go go bar... 

And it probably won't have a single tourists, until they scrap the alcohol off-license law for tourists, and scrap the cohabitation of unmarried people law.  But, let's say the place does boom, how long before Thai, Russian, Chinese, African etc freelance hookers make their way into the clubs there?

50 minutes ago, Leaver said:

But, let's say the place does boom, how long before Thai, Russian, Chinese, African etc freelance hookers make their way into the clubs there?

And from there into jail... UAE does not welcome them.. in bars etc, what happens behind closed doors is another thing, which is fine.

Better than calling yourself a "family friendly resort" then take your kids down Walking street or Soi 6.

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

And from there into jail... UAE does not welcome them.. in bars etc, what happens behind closed doors is another thing, which is fine.

Better than calling yourself a "family friendly resort" then take your kids down Walking street or Soi 6.

You do know there are already a lot of Thai and Russian hookers working in the UAE. Well, there was pre virus. 

• Like 1

Now will be the ideal time to finish all the roadworks, improve/upgrade the sewage and drainage systems and give Pattaya a good clean.

Less traffic will also mean cleaner air and who knows, maybe condos will be cheaper to rent or buy after 18 months.

47 minutes ago, Garbol56 said:

Now will be the ideal time to finish all the roadworks, improve/upgrade the sewage and drainage systems and give Pattaya a good clean.

Less traffic will also mean cleaner air and who knows, maybe condos will be cheaper to rent or buy after 18 months.

As long as all the workers stay 2 metres apart for the next two months.

Thai Immigration took a decent cash cow of "Embassy Affidavit System" used in the Long Term Non-Immigrant "O" Visa, trashed it because $145 USD per annum wasn't enough for all the fingers in the pie. The $145 included a Single Re-Entry Stamp.

Now it is over $650 USD annually for the same thing, more hassle, not less.

When I departed Suvarnabhumi, a high ranking Thai Immigration Officer was perplexed why I had not renewed my Long Term Retiremement at highway robbery rates.

Just isn't worth it, Pattaya is finished, stick a fork in it.

ALWAYS Falang fault. He not jai dee.

On 3/30/2020 at 3:00 PM, Leaver said:

So, it's gone from 3 months to 12 months.  Which one is it?

In any case, doesn't this push the loss onto Thai banks?  That's going to have to come back somewhere.

I don't have a property here.  I can see you have a conflict of interest.  Try to be subjective.  Do you really think this crisis will not / should not effect the property market here?   

Could not banks in Thailand become the biggest casualities of all this? How likely is it that one of the big Thai banks would fail? I was thinking of making subtantial transfers as soon as the exchange rate hits 40 Baht to the Euro.

On 3/30/2020 at 10:13 AM, exparte said:

I think he is correct. I would go even father and say that tourist will not be back for 18 months. We all know the ignorance of most countries; Thailand will always be viewed as Asia and the Epicenter of the virus and people planning their Holidays will opt to choose other destinations. Pattaya and several other tourist destinations in Thailand will be devastated; Thailand as a whole will have to re-think its Tourist Economy. 

Tourism may never get back to 'normal'. This is an economic reset...some experts are saying, we're moving into a more sustainable future by force; there will never again be as many flights and at least 1/4 of all the world's hotels will go out of business permanently.

Thailand will need to prepare for a different, less tourism dependent future.

While I do wish the country and it's tourism industry the best (and ditto for other parts of the region, which are similarly dependent on tourism such as Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam), I personally don't see Thailand ever coming close to 40 million visitors again. The future of tourism will be very different and that's just the way it's going to be.

On 3/31/2020 at 6:36 PM, Garbol56 said:

It would be a good time to start building some proper intersections, widening the sois and designing a grid system.