Pattaya: "Zero" tourists - last remaining Russians have cancelled and tourism industry faces 80% closure for up to a year

webfact

7 minutes ago, Farrows3399 said:

With tourism revenue down why would visas become more difficult/eliminated? Logically visas will relaxed. 

That view does nothing to add to the gloom, doom and pessimism, though makes perfect sense - to me anyway ???? 

On 3/30/2020 at 10:49 AM, NCC1701A said:

CNN reports Moscow has imposed a citywide quarantine for all residents, starting March 30 until further notice.

And how many were returning tourists from Thailand who contributed to the spread?  China may have had the baby but in many ways Thailand was the babysitter.

Edited by losworld
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Farrows3399 said:

With tourism revenue down why would visas become more difficult/eliminated? Logically visas will relaxed. 

You missed my point.

With no tourists coming here, for the foreseeable future, and even when planes are in the air and boarders opened up, there will only be a trickle, that means very few businesses catering for westerns will be open.  One may not want a visa, because one may not want to live here anymore.

Then, you have possible visa changes by the Thai government to consider. 

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You missed my point.

With no tourists coming here, for the foreseeable future, and even when planes are in the air and boarders opened up, there will only be a trickle, that means very few businesses catering for westerns will be open.  One may not want a visa, because one may not want to live here anymore.

Then, you have possible visa changes by the Thai government to consider. 

I suspect that days of free departure and entry to and from many countries will be severely curtailed well into the future without a vaccination and high travel insurance, which will cost much more than now, especially for those over 65.

I feel the rules for permission to enter and stay will be tightened for all new retirement applicants.

We face a new world at the end of this.

22 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I feel the rules for permission to enter and stay will be tightened for all new retirement applicants.

Good point, but it may not only be for new applicants.

Most retirees are in the higher risk category for death by Corona, due to their age.  Why would the Thai government want them dying in Thailand.  They may ramp up the requirements to get rid of a lot of them.  

They can always relax the requirements in the future, after a vaccine has been developed and deployed. 

On 4/2/2020 at 3:43 AM, losworld said:

And how many were returning tourists from Thailand who contributed to the spread?  China may have had the baby but in many ways Thailand was the babysitter.

In the same way tourists left to return home after their holiday in Thailand, the Thai authorities allowed predominantly young Thai's to return to their home provinces, from tourists areas.  This was a very bad decision, but also a smart one.  They can better control information leaking out of Issan, but more difficult in the tourist places.  

Coronavirus affects all ages and a sizeable minority without any underlying health issues.

2 NHS nurses have died in the UK today.

It is totally irrelevant about who came here from where. Borders are irrelevant with this virus. They are beginning to flatten the curve in Europe.

Now what?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only if they have underlying health problems. Anyone with underlying health problems is at risk regardless of age.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever in relation to the post you quoted. It can obviously be turned around to say older people are more likely to have these underlying health problems. 

On 4/4/2020 at 2:19 AM, Leaver said:

With Covid-19, age IS the underlying health problem. 

Are you saying every person over 65 is going to die of Corona?. It's actually all about underlying health problems and immune systems.

Till the younger dead people are investigated no one can say they didn't have underlying health problems. School boys have dropped dead of diagnosed health problems.

16 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever in relation to the post you quoted. It can obviously be turned around to say older people are more likely to have these underlying health problems. 

Of course older people are more likely to have underlying health problems which is why it is mainly old people dying.

On 4/2/2020 at 1:43 AM, drbeach said:

at least 1/4 of all the world's hotels will go out of business permanently.

If that's every hotel with "boutique" in it's name I for one shall rejoice. Too many Pattaya dives have tarted themselves up and put their prices up substantially without doing anything to improve their service.

I used to stay a lot at one 6 story hotel with no lift when it was 600 baht a night, but when they upped the price to 900 and still no lift that was it for me.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you saying every person over 65 is going to die of Corona?.

No. 

However, we are in Thailand. 

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's actually all about underlying health problems and immune systems.

Wrong.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Till the younger dead people are investigated no one can say they didn't have underlying health problems.

Do you think they have just put the young dead 6ft under, or burnt them?  There is much we need to learn from their death.  Full autopsies.  Full medical history. 

We need to find out how this virus chooses its victims. 

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

School boys have dropped dead of diagnosed health problems.

True.

Young, super fit football professionals have dropped dead on the pitch.   It happens, but it doesn't happen to their team mate, just because they were in close contact with them.  

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

No. 

However, we are in Thailand. 

Wrong.

Do you think they have just put the young dead 6ft under, or burnt them?  There is much we need to learn from their death.  Full autopsies.  Full medical history. 

We need to find out how this virus chooses its victims. 

True.

Young, super fit football professionals have dropped dead on the pitch.   It happens, but it doesn't happen to their team mate, just because they were in close contact with them.  

I'm saying wait till the autopsies are done before pronouncing that it attacks people with no underlying health problems as has been happening on here.

By all means stop team sports. I have zero problem with that.

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You should know by now, NOTHING is ever enough for Thai's.  Money Number One.  ????

Should we accredit that to the fine leadership they have been getting over the years?

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No apparent are the relevant words. Wait till after the autopsy.

Been done, and results known. 

The best virologists, doctors, and scientists, in the world, are on this, and collaborating, 24/7.

The tissue samples are not waiting in a queue, like in normal times.

They know it kills the old.  They are starting to see it can kill the young.  It's winning the race.  The best defense we have at the moment is to not become a host.  

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm saying wait till the autopsies are done before pronouncing that it attacks people with no underlying health problems as has been happening on here.

By all means stop team sports. I have zero problem with that.

The autopsies have been done.  Samples have been taken and examined.

The results currently are, THEY DON'T KNOW why some die and some can prevail.  Why do you think such a global emphasis on not becoming a host?

One of two things happen.  Either the virus kills the host, or the host's immune system kills the virus. 

The challenge is, to isolate the hosts from the healthy.  Something that seems to be lost in translation for many who complain about bars and clubs being closed here.