Pattaya: "Zero" tourists - last remaining Russians have cancelled and tourism industry faces 80% closure for up to a year

webfact

11 hours ago, Mojomor said:

Was reading somewhere that the airlines have come up with some new spin where the center seats in the rows of 3 will be left empty to allow more space, with only a small increase in price ---- like 50% or something.

I would have hoped 33%....  perhaps the seats could be taken out and all spaced better. 

On 4/16/2020 at 9:02 PM, RJRS1301 said:

I feel airfares will rise, as they will not be allowed to carry as many passengers, certain countries will not be letting people in from countries unless tested and cleared of infection. Even with a vaccine this will not change for sometime.

Travelers will have carry a vaccination certificate.  

The airlines are in a precarious position.  Raise prices out of reach for average tourists, and the planes are half empty. causing further loses.  Make flights cheap, to try to get people traveling again, and you are flying  route at a loss, for some time to come.  

The economic pain to the tourism industry for all countries will be felt long after boarders are open.  

As for a vaccine,  I see some people in South Korea have caught the virus for a second time.  It could be a reoccurring virus that remains in the body.  If that is the case, there's basically no cure.  

On 4/12/2020 at 11:39 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

While it's sad people are struggling little thought has gone into having a slush fund for a rainy day, people here live WELL beyond their means, everything on HP, must show off to Somchai next door etc.

This can also be said of many countries the world over.

I know Thai people that don't make enough to put any aside. Get out of the tourist spots to see reality.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

The airlines are in a precarious position.  Raise prices out of reach for average tourists, and the planes are half empty. causing further loses.  Make flights cheap, to try to get people traveling again, and you are flying  route at a loss, for some time to come.  

The economic pain to the tourism industry for all countries will be felt long after boarders are open.  

As for a vaccine,  I see some people in South Korea have caught the virus for a second time.  It could be a reoccurring virus that remains in the body.  If that is the case, there's basically no cure.  

While I mock the man made climate change movement, I do agree that air travel should be restricted. It's air and hearing polluting, and has made mass tourism possible which IMO is a very bad thing. Thai beaches which were once lovely have been destroyed catering to mass tourism.

I'd like to see air travel go back to 1970s levels. Enough for those that need faster than ship travel, but too expensive for those that only want to get a tan.

If the virus does remain in the body as an infecting and fatal disease, that'll put the pro lockdown demographic in a quandary. A vaccine will also be useless.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I mock the man made climate change movement, I do agree that air travel should be restricted. It's air and hearing polluting, and has made mass tourism possible which IMO is a very bad thing. Thai beaches which were once lovely have been destroyed catering to mass tourism.

I'd like to see air travel go back to 1970s levels. Enough for those that need faster than ship travel, but too expensive for those that only want to get a tan.

If the virus does remain in the body as an infecting and fatal disease, that'll put the pro lockdown demographic in a quandary. A vaccine will also be useless.

Who would travel on a ship now?? Been compared to floating petrie dishes, been so for ages, especially if gastroenteritis is contracted.

Viral particles were found on hard surfaces of the Diamond Princess 17 days after last disembarkation, not sure how viable it was, but 17 days is a longer time than initially thought.

On 4/17/2020 at 12:09 PM, Leaver said:

yes its like the common cold antibodies wont stop you getting it again ,confirmed by the WHO today   https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/17/who-issues-warning-on-coronavirus-testing-theres-no-evidence-antibody-tests-show-immunity.html

• Confused 2

Changes to requirements to enter the country I expect....just an opinion....

Will change soon....as other nations reopen I expect Thailand will look for ways to get the tourists back.

One think I expect is some sort of instant 5 minute test that will be paid for by the flier perhaps as preboard.

At least in a way that can yield a fast easily obtained document for flying, and accepted worldwide. 

17 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

it will be many years till pattaya gets going again .due to unemployed who cant afford thai trips any more and will struggle to put food on the table and pay rent..they will try to sell assets but so will many others and it will be a buyers market for assets..we are entering a global slump ..its like year zero on an industrial scale

I think this is far more grim then what the reality will be. In 2021 they will be coming.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

yes its like the common cold antibodies wont stop you getting it again ,confirmed by the WHO today   https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/17/who-issues-warning-on-coronavirus-testing-theres-no-evidence-antibody-tests-show-immunity.html

So, if that is the case, I can only see a lowering in the world's population in the future, or, the status quo is maintained, to preserve life.  

Of somewhat of a concern is, the virus has already mutated about six times, and who knows what risk to life the next mutation may pose.  

30 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

I think this is far more grim then what the reality will be. In 2021 they will be coming.

No one quite knows what the reality will be, but one thing is for sure, it's economic pain for every country,  in one form or another, for the foreseeable future.  

Why do you think tourists will be coming back in 2021? 

More to the point, what makes you think they will be allowed to come back by Thailand, and allowed to leave their own country, and also be able to afford to come back here, in 2021?  

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 10:48 AM, Finspin said:

Did a test purchase with Thai Airlines on their app for a return trip LHR - BKK In December. Was quoted £968, which is over twice what I paid for a recent trip to Thailand. Price will have to drop for me to actually make that possible trip.

Really ?

I've been checking Skyscanner for the last couple of weeks for late Nov > Dec and found the opposite - some nice prices if you look through.

UK > BKK 1 Stop KLM £478, Lufthansa £473  (whether these flights will translate into reality is something else!)

On 3/31/2020 at 1:40 AM, AlohaBKk said:

Wouldn’t it be nice for Darwin to take out all the irresponsible people? Pray it gets worse so it can get better.  Sonamnaaa pattaya.... your day of reckoning is here.  

Actually it would be great if Darwin could take out all the ar$ehole$

There's no loyalty involved when it comes to the Russians.  We were led to believe the Russkies were the saviours of Pattaya and Jomtien not just a few short years ago.  I suppose it follows that if the Russians have deserted ship then Pattaya is doomed.   

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

The Chinese will probably be arriving, but to a very different Pattaya. They didn't frequent bar beers and gogos, which IMO will mainly vanish.

It's worth considering that a high speed rail service could be built from China to Thailand. No need for planes. IMO the cost of air travel in the future will limit the number of western tourists. Think 1970s numbers flying.

When western economies recover enough for farangs to arrive again, the girls are more likely to be on line than on a bar stool.

11 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

Yes, and the re-infection of Hokkaido does not bode well for the get out from under the yoke of this virus. 

9 hours ago, torturedsole said:

There's no loyalty involved when it comes to the Russians.  We were led to believe the Russkies were the saviours of Pattaya and Jomtien not just a few short years ago.  I suppose it follows that if the Russians have deserted ship then Pattaya is doomed.   

They haven't 'deserted ship'--many are still here.  Check out the Cosy Beach and Wong Amat areas.  

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The Chinese will probably be arriving, but to a very different Pattaya. They didn't frequent bar beers and gogos, which IMO will mainly vanish.

It's worth considering that a high speed rail service could be built from China to Thailand. No need for planes. IMO the cost of air travel in the future will limit the number of western tourists. Think 1970s numbers flying.

When western economies recover enough for farangs to arrive again, the girls are more likely to be on line than on a bar stool.

Actually, since, as you say, the Chinese don't frequent beer bars and gogos, Pattaya likely won't look that different to the Chinese who have been here before.  All those Chinese entertainment venues in north Pattaya/Naklua will re-open, as well as the hotels and restaurants that cater to the Chinese  tour groups. 

The new and improved beach is still there and the speedboats will return for the island trips.  Likely the cabaret shows will re-open and Nong Nooch Garden.  Most Chinese visiting Pattaya on tour groups likely have never been to Pattaya before so it will all be new to them and they will have no past memories, unlike you, to compare the new Pattaya to.  Those seeing a change might be the ones that do go to the beer bars and gogos.  

On 4/18/2020 at 8:46 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I know Thai people that don't make enough to put any aside. Get out of the tourist spots to see reality.

They all have the latest and greatest smart phones, they all have the new models of bikes everytime they come out, these are not essential items and the money spent on them could have been saved.

I don't live in a tourist spot, i've lived in rural Thailand for many years so i'm very familiar with 'reality' thank you very much. 

On 4/11/2020 at 6:20 PM, liddelljohn said:

Very few Thais  that I know are getting the 5000 baht government assistance even though their jobs or small businesses have shut down ,, many are in trouble  cant pay rents, motorsai hp , savings going etc  its a sick joke ,, i reckon a lot of the money is being syphoned off by the bureaucrats ,,,

Cant see pattaya returning to any form of normal for 18months at least ,,my girlfriend veg and fruit farm supplies 2 markets in pattaya  they are now very quiet also she supplies 5 restaurants  and they are closed ,, she cant get hold of ferltiliser either ,, here income has gone down 75%   she wont get any government help ,,, my ex wifes taxi tour business is closed  down she is isolating  no income at present  and wont get any 5000 baht a month from government ,,

my thai neighbour  owns a restaurant its shut down he pays 25,000 month rent  but has no income also a mortgage ,, he is not getting any government help ???

things are bad

monks are sitting on tons of bullion so will they open up their reserves to help their fellow man?

It may take a while, liken it to a slow burning fuse, it will fizz along, the entertainment venues will gradually re open, the tourism hostesses will slowly return from their isolation / survival bubbles in the provinces, the jet ski & tour boat operators will have done zero maintenance to their machines, yet start revving their engines at full throttle, the tour busses full of Chinese tourists (hopefully not form Hubei province...) will slip back in and plague the streets again blocking the flow of traffic. Walking street and Pattaya beach walk ways will take on their normal identities once more with scum of the earth thieving cocks in mini skirts. Then, wait for it, Bam!!! Pattaya is back up and running and we will have nothing more to dream about except the tranquillity that was snatched away....

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2020 at 11:13 AM, exparte said:

I think he is correct. I would go even father and say that tourist will not be back for 18 months. We all know the ignorance of most countries; Thailand will always be viewed as Asia and the Epicenter of the virus and people planning their Holidays will opt to choose other destinations. Pattaya and several other tourist destinations in Thailand will be devastated; Thailand as a whole will have to re-think its Tourist Economy. 

They're not expecting international travel out of OZ before next year and that will be to virus free Countries.

The ramifications from this virus are going to be felt for months if not years. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

It may take a while, liken it to a slow burning fuse, it will fizz along, the entertainment venues will gradually re open, the tourism hostesses will slowly return from their isolation

It will be a long fuse, that will fizz along until the start of high season 2021.  

• Like 1