Urgent notice: outstanding UK Passport collections from VFS

If your UK passport has arrived in Thailand and it is at the VFS UK Passport Application Centre at the Trendy Building, Sukhumvut Soi 13:

You must collect your passport by 3.30pm Tuesday 31 March.

Remember to take your original UK passport with you and also the photocopied application receipt you were given when your application was accepted.

The UK Passport Application Centre is now closed for applications. If your passport has still not been returned from the UK, the current advice is that you will have to wait until the VFS Passport Application Centre reopens to collect your passport.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The renewing of a passport, is an essential activity.

Who has taken this decision to shut up shop? VFS, the British Passport Authority. the British government?

If VFS, then their contract of service terms needs looking at closely. If the government, then it is upon them to provide an alternative. In an emergency, which this will create for some people, they have to use the British Embassy staff and consular staff. 

A void and left to VFS to decide is not the correct option.

8 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Who has taken this decision to shut up shop? VFS, the British Passport Authority. the British government?

If VFS, then their contract of service terms needs looking at closely. If the government, then it is upon them to provide an alternative. In an emergency, which this will create for some people, they have to use the British Embassy staff and consular staff. 

I doubt VFS made any decision when their employer is the British Government..

15 minutes ago, PBob said:

Having dropped my application off last Wednesday I look forward to further info, they have my phone number and email address.

Looking at the announcement yours is probably winging it to UK where it will be processed and returned to VFS where it will stay until  they open.

Nobody knows how long the closure will last - it might be weeks or months so eventually they will have to provide an alternative. ETD,s won't be issued unless you have travel plans, Immigration will not accept them for extensions and most people cannot travel to Bangkok even if they did.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Don't see what you're fussing about. No one can go anywhere anyway.

I'd expect that a lot of folk can't even get to Bangkok to collect their passport, or to initiate a renewal.

20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Don't see what you're fussing about. No one can go anywhere anyway.

I'd expect that a lot of folk can't even get to Bangkok to collect their passport, or to initiate a renewal.

Most people trying to renew there passport are not intending to travel anywhere. They live here and need a new passport for the next extension.

Your second paragraph is obviously correct. Depending on how long the closure is for [ both VFS and the travel restrictions ] they will have to offer an alternative procedure.

Let's see what happens. I'll keep the thread updated when any change occurs.

The practical solution would be to wait 2-3 weeks until all pending passports are received back at VFS, then open for 1-2 days with minimal staff just to issue passports so that VFS can de-risk itself.

20 minutes ago, blackcab said:

The practical solution would be ...

For VFS to EMS passports to people's home addresses and, in future, for the UK to courier passports directly to individuals, rather than to VFS (which is how it should have been from the start).

7 minutes ago, Oxx said:

For VFS to EMS passports to people's home addresses and, in future, for the UK to courier passports directly to individuals, rather than to VFS (which is how it should have been from the start).

Unfortunately, HMG insist that the old passports are cancelled by cutting the top right corner off their front cover. No way for VFS to do that if they don't have the passport presented to them.

The is an HMG issue, not a VFS issue. I'm sure VFS would prefer to give you the option of home delivery and charge you a fee for it. That is what they do for people who apply for a visa to visit the UK and leave their passports at VFS to have the visa vignette applied.

8 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Unfortunately, HMG insist that the old passports are cancelled by cutting the top right corner off their front cover. No way for VFS to do that if they don't have the passport presented to them.

This was not a problem when you did the application via DHL to Hong Kong, they just asked you to do it yourself.

I last renewed my passport just before they shut down the Hong Kong option (8 or 9 years ago I think), I didn't bother cutting the corner off it and still have it right now in my drawer next to the 'new' passport.

13 minutes ago, ukrules said:

This was not a problem when you did the application via DHL to Hong Kong, they just asked you to do it yourself.

I last renewed my passport just before they shut down the Hong Kong option (8 or 9 years ago I think), I didn't bother cutting the corner off it and still have it right now in my drawer next to the 'new' passport.

Yep me too

37 minutes ago, ukrules said:

True. But times have changed!  There were huge security flaws in the previous system. 

3 hours ago, blackcab said:

Unfortunately, HMG insist that the old passports are cancelled by cutting the top right corner off their front cover.

In other words, they're stuck in the 19th century.  With modern information technology it's possible immediately to verify whether a passport is still valid or not.

4 hours ago, blackcab said:

Let's see what happens. I'll keep the thread updated when any change occurs.

The practical solution would be to wait 2-3 weeks until all pending passports are received back at VFS, then open for 1-2 days with minimal staff just to issue passports so that VFS can de-risk itself.

That is true BC. But at the moment there is no way to apply for a new one. If it goes on for a considerable time they should be looking at alternatives for renewing. If it turns to months and not weeks they will have to. And how will people collect them. You say maybe open for 1 or 2 days to collect. There are many inter province restrictions on travel. People in Phuket cannot get out. I doubt road blocks on essential travel will accept 'I am just popping up to Bangkok to pick up my shiny new passport.'

9 minutes ago, pontious said:

That is true BC. But at the moment there is no way to apply for a new one. If it goes on for a considerable time they should be looking at alternatives for renewing. If it turns to months and not weeks they will have to. And how will people collect them. You say maybe open for 1 or 2 days to collect. There are many inter province restrictions on travel. People in Phuket cannot get out. I doubt road blocks on essential travel will accept 'I am just popping up to Bangkok to pick up my shiny new passport.'

Anyone (other than the very old/ill) who leaves less than 6 months validity on their passport deserves little sympathy.

Academic at the moment but, if VfS was open,  nobody needs to go to Bangkok, you can appoint a third party to submit/collect for you.

5 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Anyone (other than the very old/ill) who leaves less than 6 months validity on their passport deserves little sympathy.

Academic at the moment but, if VfS was open,  nobody needs to go to Bangkok, you can appoint a third party to submit/collect for you.

I have many months left on my passport. Why should anyone stick to the old rule of 6 months validity to travel. Since they cancelled the old 9 months in addition rule why should people renew too early. I have not left Thailand since arriving 13 years ago. If I had to travel it would be back to UK so the 6 month rule would not affect me. Inter province travel is still discouraged or banned in some. If you live in Phuket the passport will stop at the bridge. Third party or not. You did not mention how you get a new passport. To be fair there is no way at the present time to get one.

7 minutes ago, pontious said:

I have many months left on my passport. Why should anyone stick to the old rule of 6 months validity to travel. Since they cancelled the old 9 months in addition rule why should people renew too early. I have not left Thailand since arriving 13 years ago. If I had to travel it would be back to UK so the 6 month rule would not affect me. Inter province travel is still discouraged or banned in some. If you live in Phuket the passport will stop at the bridge. Third party or not. You did not mention how you get a new passport. To be fair there is no way at the present time to get one.

if you dont want to travel internationally then fine, if you do most countries require at least six months validity as a condition of entry. nothing wrong with being organised and renewing early, i did and the remaining validity of my old passport was added to my new one.

3 minutes ago, samsensam said:

if you dont want to travel internationally then fine, if you do most countries require at least six months validity as a condition of entry. nothing wrong with being organised and renewing early, i did and the remaining validity of my old passport was added to my new one.

If it was a UK one that was stopped some time ago . You now get 10 years from application. No extra 9 months added anymore.

9 hours ago, pontious said:

I am suggesting that early renewal, say 3/4 months, would prevent issues in unusual circumstances like we are experiencing now. There have been other times when passport processing has been delayed. 

Apart from travel (which doesn’t apply in your case) the main consideration is Immigration- specifically the timing of extensions. Once you have an extension with less than 12 months expiry on the passport, after the permission to stay date, you should be thinking about when to renew.

I fully agree HMPO did nobody an favours when they stopped adding unexpired term - it changed people’s thinking. For me, who does a lot of traveling, I consider my passport as having a 9.5 year validity. That means that I probably have to renew with 9 months remaining to ensure I don’t fall foul of visiting countries that require 6 months remaining on a passport.

18 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

I doubt VFS made any decision when their employer is the British Government..

While the final decisions to close the VFS operations in both With-It Tower and its Chiang Mai equivalent were probably rubber-stamped by the Home Office, it was presumably at VFS's behest that this rubber-stamping took place. Whilst there may not, of course, be too many Thai nationals seeking UK visas at the present time, I am at a complete loss to understand why VFS have apparently considered so absolutely essential for their completely separate passport renewal operation to be suspended as well. If their rationale is based on COVID-19 exposure risks for their staff, then it surely applies in equal measure to other service providers here in LOS such as banks & post offices - none of whom are, as far as I can tell, planning to suspend their operations completely.

15 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There were huge security flaws in the previous system. 

Kindly provide an official link to support this sweeping assertion. At no time since inflicting the dreaded With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience on us 6 years ago have HMPO, as far as I can tell, ever attempted to provide any clear, specific and meaningful explanation of - or justification for - its imposition.

13 hours ago, Oxx said:

In other words, they're stuck in the 19th century.

Goes even further back than the insistence on delivery methods to and from their Bangkok & Chiang Mai offices which predate the introduction of the Penny Black around 1840, I think. The completion of the relevant HMPO form in the case of renewals from Thailand is dependent on "technologies" harking back to the era when quills first started to be dipped into pots of black ink!  And what I personally find extremely galling is that, since inflicting the dreaded With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience on us, HMPO have devised an online passport renewal system, of which they are now encouraging the use from practically every country on this great planet of ours - with the notable exception of (surprise, surprise) Thailand!

I applied for my new passport on the 12th of March, was told 3 weeks wait for a new one! (still waiting).

My current passport runs out in July next year!

You need 12 months validity left on your current passport to extend a yearly visa, or otherwise you only get the months left for your new visa extn!

not that things need to be changed before extension, why i did mine early?

new rental agreement with new passport on

new TM30 register!

I hope they give me enough  time now with this delay?

cheers

19 hours ago, Martinpeter said:

I applied for my new passport on the 12th of March, was told 3 weeks wait for a new one! (still waiting).

My current passport runs out in July next year!

You need 12 months validity left on your current passport to extend a yearly visa, or otherwise you only get the months left for your new visa extn!

not that things need to be changed before extension, why i did mine early?

new rental agreement with new passport on

new TM30 register!

I hope they give me enough  time now with this delay?

cheers

I have the same issue with my daughter's first passport

I'm stuck here til I get it back

On 3/31/2020 at 9:06 AM, OJAS said:

Kindly provide an official link to support this sweeping assertion. At no time since inflicting the dreaded With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience on us 6 years ago have HMPO, as far as I can tell, ever attempted to provide any clear, specific and meaningful explanation of - or justification for - its imposition.

If you can't see why having to send the old passport to Hong Kong, then issuing the new passports in Hong Kong and then sending them back to people's personal addresses in Thailand is less secure than centralising all new passports at HMPO in Liverpool and not requiring the old passport to be mailed anywhere, I can't help you.  Of course, the cost saving of centralising it is another factor.

On 3/30/2020 at 2:44 PM, Baerboxer said:

I have been looking at the FAQ,s on VFS Global. When will the offices that have been closed reopen?

Ans. When the relevant Gov instructs us to do so.

So someone in GOVUK told them to shut.

The OZ VFS office for visas are still open albeit reduced to 3 days. I think they use a different system for passports. They also operate from Trendy.

Looking at other offices some governments have told VFS close visa operations but remain open for passport issues as it is considered an essential service. Sensible.

Other governments that have systems like ours with  personal attendance have instructed VFS to revert to the old courier in and out system.. UFN -Very sensible.

UKGOV instruction was obviously - shut the office until we tell you.

On 3/30/2020 at 3:36 PM, pontious said:

Looking at the announcement yours is probably winging it to UK where it will be processed and returned to VFS where it will stay until  they open.

Do they really ship all the paperwork to the UK and the new passport back by British Airways? 

Archived