Urgent notice: outstanding UK Passport collections from VFS

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Having popped into my local IO this week I can confirm that it is my understanding that they are aware of the probs associated re awaiting replacement passports and that they're likely to be very reasonable on a case by case basis for the foreseeable future.

(Posted in the hope of putting some minds at rest-Ours was a thorough conversation which I have simplified as explained)

HTH

How would this affect your work permit as not only my passport runs out in Jul my WP runs out in August a double whammy so to speak.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, evadgib said:

Having popped into my local IO this week I can confirm that it is my understanding that they are aware of the probs associated re awaiting replacement passports and that they're likely to be very reasonable on a case by case basis for the foreseeable future.

(Posted in the hope of putting some minds at rest-Ours was a thorough conversation which I have simplified as explained)

HTH

3 hours ago, pontious said:

Thanks for the report but what did they say. Did they say we will extend your extension for another year even though your passport is not valid.?

At the moment they will only extend until your passport validity date.

If you are stopped at a RTP checkpoint they will expect a valid passport for your ID.

And what might be acceptable for 1 particular office won't necessarily be acceptable for them all, since they're not the models of consistency as we well know!

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

With the expired visa amnesty, no one is being locked up for having an expired visa, so prob not for a recently expired passport.

Well probably not until 31st July at any rate, unless the amnesty is further extended, of course!

On 5/12/2020 at 5:14 PM, prakhonchai nick said:

Earlier this month HMPO debited my credit card fro 2 applications made in March. This suggests that HMO are working and my passports are being processed.

Is there any news on VFS re-opening anytime soon?

I received this reply to my query about my application status yesterday. Already 2 months and it is still being looked at!

HMPO Service <[email protected]>

Wed 13/05/2020 14:39:

===========================================

Sent: 1589377026
To:
Cc:
Subject: Re: HMPO Passport enquiries
Message_ID:
X-TSID:
-------------------------------------------

Dear Mr

Thank you for your enquiry regarding your passport application.

Your application reference number is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Thank you for your email about your passport application. I can confirm that we received your application at our Liverpool office on 13 March 2020 and is currently still being looked at.

We do not need anything further at this stage, but if the Passport Officer needs additional information, they will contact you.

In response to the latest corona virus measures relating to social distancing and necessary travel, HM Passport Office has reduced its staffing levels to ensure that these measures are followed. Applications will take longer than usual. Please do not book travel without a valid passport.

Standard applications do not have a guaranteed service standard, and we are unable to confirm how long applications will take at this current time. We are sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

Thank you,

Customer Service E-Mail Team

2 hours ago, ImageDude said:

I received this reply to my query about my application status yesterday. Already 2 months and it is still being looked at!

HMPO Service <[email protected]>

Wed 13/05/2020 14:39:

===========================================

Sent: 1589377026
To:
Cc:
Subject: Re: HMPO Passport enquiries
Message_ID:
X-TSID:
-------------------------------------------

Dear Mr

Thank you for your enquiry regarding your passport application.

Your application reference number is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Thank you for your email about your passport application. I can confirm that we received your application at our Liverpool office on 13 March 2020 and is currently still being looked at.

We do not need anything further at this stage, but if the Passport Officer needs additional information, they will contact you.

In response to the latest corona virus measures relating to social distancing and necessary travel, HM Passport Office has reduced its staffing levels to ensure that these measures are followed. Applications will take longer than usual. Please do not book travel without a valid passport.

Standard applications do not have a guaranteed service standard, and we are unable to confirm how long applications will take at this current time. We are sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

Thank you,

Customer Service E-Mail Team

I also got 2 emails reply recently! i did'nt like their first reply, so i emailed them back again, stating our problems! which nobody seems to care about! here last reply!

Dear Mr xxxxx,

I am very sorry you are experiencing difficulties at present and take into consideration what you are saying but unfortunately are unable to assist.

The Visa Application Centre in Thailand is currently closed and we are unable to issue any passports at all to Thailand at present.

Again I will have to advise you to contact the FCO if you require assistance.

Kind regards

56 minutes ago, Martinpeter said:

I also got 2 emails reply recently! i did'nt like their first reply, so i emailed them back again, stating our problems! which nobody seems to care about! here last reply!

Dear Mr xxxxx,

I am very sorry you are experiencing difficulties at present and take into consideration what you are saying but unfortunately are unable to assist.

The Visa Application Centre in Thailand is currently closed and we are unable to issue any passports at all to Thailand at present.

Again I will have to advise you to contact the FCO if you require assistance.

Kind regards

Have you asked why they can't send direct to you, just like in the good old days?

20 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Have you asked why they can't send direct to you, just like in the good old days?

I am sure they would say the   usual - security, and corner cutting of old passport.

OK - send it to the BE in Bangkok. That is secure.  people can pick it up there.

1 minute ago, pontious said:

I am sure they would say the   usual - security, and corner cutting of old passport.

OK - send it to the BE in Bangkok. That is secure.  people can pick it up there.

The passport I require is the first one ever for my daughter. None of the cutting is required

They still won't do it and I've been stuck here for almost 2 additional months

They took the money out on 12th March, absolutely scandalous

30 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

The passport I require is the first one ever for my daughter. None of the cutting is required

Scandalous indeed. I have no idea what is involved with processing a passport application, but it can't be that difficult or complicated enough to cause these delays. Have they stated that your daughters passport is ready to be sent, but they won't send it until VFS Global reopen? It seems it is not ok for you to request a break from the normal procedure. But in my case it is ok for them to do it. I can't make them understand that demanding I submit my old passport before they will process my application has exposed me to the legal ramifications of residing in Thailand without a passport, visa or ID.  They just do not care.

1 hour ago, Canuck1966 said:

I agree - passports  that are completed should be sent to the BE.   the fact they 'normally' send it to VFS should not come into it. Just change the address.! 

2 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

I've asked that before and they refused

Complete and utter jobsworths

Unfortunately wielding a pair of scissors to snip off the top and bottom front covers of our expiring passports ourselves is apparently deemed by HMPO these days to be far more challenging and risky for us than climbing the north face of the Eiger.

8 hours ago, pontious said:

1800002335_Screenshot_2020-05-14MyFellowAmericansparticularythoselivinginChiangMaiWhatistheLATESTnewsonPASSPORTRENEW...(1).png.fbf2c4f328fc9bdec0b5f47733ffc410.png

Today I sent an email to HMPO, and the FCO and the British consular in Bangkok, asking them why can our American cousins seem to get it right and we get it so wrong.  Is it so difficult to adopt an alternative procedure to the one in place in order to safeguard the UK citizens.  By the way the helpline is of little help with the consular blaming HMPO and vice versa. With them stating that they are looking into the matter.

image.png.7232c5b461b6c4ebfd4e7edd313dc4bc.png

There maybe a light at the end of the tunnel. See BE facebook for update by the Ambassador today. At long last a statement on Passports. Maybe some one who is better with computers than me could post a link here.

HMPO have refused point blank to either send  new passports in the system back either direct by courier to the British citizens Thai home (as was done when applications went to Hong Kong) or to the British Embassy for collection.  As for those that have expired or will shortly expire, there is no system available for renewal. Disgraceful!

I agree that the BE and HMPO have been an  utter disgrace with there nonsensical advice, silence, and attitudes but at least they are now trying to resolve it. VFS has been shut for over 6 weeks now and only now does someone update us. In my view the Passport section should never have been closed. People will not forget how they have been treated.

I have copied and pasted below the text from the Embassy's Facebook page relating to what the Ambassador said about passports as it includes the Embassy's email address to which those of us longstayers with imminently expiring passports can express our concerns:-

PASSPORTS

????We are working with HMPO and the Thai government to resolve the issue of passports for British Nationals in Thailand. If you need to travel urgently, please apply for an #EmergencyTravelDocument https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

If you have other difficulties with your passport situation, please e-mail us at

✉️ [email protected]

20 hours ago, pontious said:

I agree that the BE and HMPO have been an  utter disgrace with there nonsensical advice, silence, and attitudes but at least they are now trying to resolve it. VFS has been shut for over 6 weeks now and only now does someone update us. In my view the Passport section should never have been closed. People will not forget how they have been treated.

And what I have noted is that most of the organisations we Brit expats routinely deal with both here in Thailand and back in the UK have still managed to keep going during the coronavirus pandemic with little apparent impact on the services they provide, with the notable exception of that incompetent and inept band of misfits called HMPO!

On 5/15/2020 at 6:13 PM, pontious said:

I, like so many others, am failing to understand why VFS Global has not re-opened, or indeed why it was necessary to close down passport operations in the first place. The only thing that BE and HMPO have done so far, is to recognise that VFS’s closure has revealed a massive problem for UK passport renewals from Thailand. The BE & HMPO state that they are still looking for a solution! How difficult can it be, this situation is almost two months old? These are exceptional circumstances and call for exceptional temporary measures to be put in place. As far as I am concerned both the BE & HMPO are dragging their heels and failing to step up and address the issue in the hope that the problem will disappear along with an improvement in the Covid-19 situation.  Whatever they do now to alleviate the problem will not prevent further the damage to their already fragile reputations. 

1 hour ago, ImageDude said:

I, like so many others, am failing to understand why VFS Global has not re-opened, or indeed why it was necessary to close down passport operations in the first place. The only thing that BE and HMPO have done so far, is to recognise that VFS’s closure has revealed a massive problem for UK passport renewals from Thailand. The BE & HMPO state that they are still looking for a solution! How difficult can it be, this situation is almost two months old? These are exceptional circumstances and call for exceptional temporary measures to be put in place. As far as I am concerned both the BE & HMPO are dragging their heels and failing to step up and address the issue in the hope that the problem will disappear along with an improvement in the Covid-19 situation.  Whatever they do now to alleviate the problem will not prevent further the damage to their already fragile reputations. 

It literally beggars belief

So simple just to post them to people at their home address in Thailand

It's not rocket science is it

20 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

It literally beggars belief

So simple just to post them to people at their home address in Thailand

It's not rocket science is it

They will quote security. Then send it to the BE.!  Has anyone who applied mid March been told there passport is complete and what they are going to do with it.? Are they going to keep it until VFS reopens or send it and let it be ping ponged between DHL office Bangkok and VFS until they open?

32 minutes ago, pontious said:

They will quote security. Then send it to the BE.!  Has anyone who applied mid March been told there passport is complete and what they are going to do with it.? Are they going to keep it until VFS reopens or send it and let it be ping ponged between DHL office Bangkok and VFS until they open?

Are our applications actually being processed? I don't know. It appears that HMPO have adopted a priority system, how far up that priority system Thailand applications are, again I don't know. They are currently safe in the knowledge that with VFS still closed the completed applications can't go anywhere! 

Archived