Urgent notice: outstanding UK Passport collections from VFS

21 minutes ago, Martinpeter said:

"We will continue to work on your application, however we are unable to confirm when a passport will be issued if your application is successful".   

I mean "continue to work on your application"  .. uh..?. if its just renewing an older passport should be pretty straight forward. Bureaucracy at its worst!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/15/2020 at 2:14 PM, OJAS said:

Typically generalised HMPO hogwash which is spectacular in its abject failure to make any attempt to deal with the specific issues currently facing those of us here in Thailand who are in imminent (or, indeed, urgent) need of replacement passports, I think!

I have now received another reply from HMPO and it has thrown another spanner in the works.

Dear Mr

Thank you for your enquiry. We have received your new application. We can proceed with the application once we receive your old passport.

Please send this to:

Liverpool HM Passport Office

101 Old Hall Street

Liverpool

L3 9BP

United Kingdom

We understand that this may be delayed due to COVID 19

If you require any further information, please contact us via e-mail: Liverpool@hmpo. gov.uk

Kind Regards,

C McGrath

Customer Service Management Team

HM Passport Office Operations

Her Majesty's Passport Office

T: 0300 222 0000

Text relay service prefix 18001

www.gov.uk/hm-passport-office

They are now causing further delays by asking for the old passport, which is not in my possession. I can't reach my agent yet but presumably he has it after submitting my documents and application to VFS Global. I emailed HMPO back after receiving this mail explaining the predicament that we all in and I just received the bog standard Covid-19 delay spiel reply, it will take longer etc. etc. I also tried phoning them yesterday on the given number but was kept on hold until my phone credit ran out. By the way my application was submitted to VFS Global in Chiang Mai on the 10th March 2020, which means we are 42 days into the procedure and still no sign of my passport!  

4 hours ago, ImageDude said:

I have now received another reply from HMPO and it has thrown another spanner in the works.

Dear Mr

Thank you for your enquiry. We have received your new application. We can proceed with the application once we receive your old passport.

Please send this to:

Liverpool HM Passport Office

101 Old Hall Street

Liverpool

L3 9BP

United Kingdom

We understand that this may be delayed due to COVID 19

If you require any further information, please contact us via e-mail: Liverpool@hmpo. gov.uk

Kind Regards,

C McGrath

Customer Service Management Team

HM Passport Office Operations

Her Majesty's Passport Office

T: 0300 222 0000

Text relay service prefix 18001

www.gov.uk/hm-passport-office

They are now causing further delays by asking for the old passport, which is not in my possession. I can't reach my agent yet but presumably he has it after submitting my documents and application to VFS Global. I emailed HMPO back after receiving this mail explaining the predicament that we all in and I just received the bog standard Covid-19 delay spiel reply, it will take longer etc. etc. I also tried phoning them yesterday on the given number but was kept on hold until my phone credit ran out. By the way my application was submitted to VFS Global in Chiang Mai on the 10th March 2020, which means we are 42 days into the procedure and still no sign of my passport!  

If, in connection with your latest email, HMPO make a further pathetic attempt at fobbing you off with yet another completely unsatisfactory riposte over the next couple of days, I would strongly urge you to lodge a formal complaint addressed to <[email protected]> as HMPO have, indeed, advised me to do after they had tried to fob me off with a couple of extremely unhelpful ripostes. Still awaiting a response to the complaint I emailed to that address a fortnight ago, but HMG organisations usually allow themselves 20 working days to respond to complaints of this nature. And at least the nonsensical BS ripostes appear to have been finally stopped in their tracks in my case! That said, whether anything actually useful or constructive will eventually emerge in a hopefully considered response from HMPO ivory towers remains to be seen, of course.

Yes,  I am going to complain. I am currently composing a letter and will submit it when it is completed. In all of this mess with VFS Global shutting down and Coved-19 restrictions in general, I would have thought that we could have relied on HMPO to do the right thing and offer alternative ways to submit and collect new passports. I guess I am just forever the optimist! I wonder would it be of any use contacting the British Embassy in Bangkok and apply a bit of pressure in That quarter?

Anyone considering a complaint should ensure the following see it:

- Home Secretrary/HO: (Passports fall within their remit worldwide)

- Foreign Secretary/FCO: (Despite the above, everyone that is abroad & waiting for a passport is in some form of distress)

- Your constituency MP and/or the likes of the Veterans minister or similar depending on your work history where applicable.

- MSM: IMO Piers Morgan has made a complete pigs ear of this crisis but he doesn't miss a trick when it comes to having a pop at HMG therefore use him/them to your advantage.

Just my 2p...

5 hours ago, OJAS said:

If, in connection with your latest email, HMPO make a further pathetic attempt at fobbing you off with yet another completely unsatisfactory riposte over the next couple of days, I would strongly urge you to lodge a formal complaint addressed to <[email protected]> as HMPO have, indeed, advised me to do after they had tried to fob me off with a couple of extremely unhelpful ripostes. Still awaiting a response to the complaint I emailed to that address a fortnight ago, but HMG organisations usually allow themselves 20 working days to respond to complaints of this nature. And at least the nonsensical BS ripostes appear to have been finally stopped in their tracks in my case! That said, whether anything actually useful or constructive will eventually emerge in a hopefully considered response from HMPO ivory towers remains to be seen, of course.

This keeps getting better. I have received another email in response to my email this morning. Which I stated that VFS Global had returned my old passport to my agent saying it didn't need to be sent with the application!

Sent: 1587464405
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc:
Subject: Re: HMPO Passport enquiries HMPO-823286b63e8a5736b003a6b6059d52a7
Message_ID:
X-TSID:
-------------------------------------------
Dear Mr

Thank you for your email about a letter you have received.

HMPO requires the previous passport to process you applications. I am unsure of why the application center offered the advice that you do not need to supply your previous passport.
In this case, please provide the passport when it is convenient/ feasible for you.

The application will continue once this is received.

Regards,

Customer Service Email Team

11 hours ago, ImageDude said:

I wonder would it be of any use contacting the British Embassy in Bangkok and apply a bit of pressure in That quarter?

Doubt whether you'd get far with them. In responding to a query of mine in which they confirmed that emergency travel documents aren't issued to anyone who doesn't have specific travel plans involving an imminent return to the UK, they offered the following "helpful" suggestion for those in your predicament:-

We would suggest approaching the local immigration to discuss the implications of your passport and visa situation. They may be able to suggest alternatives given the current circumstances.

6 hours ago, ImageDude said:

This keeps getting better. I have received another email in response to my email this morning. Which I stated that VFS Global had returned my old passport to my agent saying it didn't need to be sent with the application!

Sent: 1587464405
Cc:
Subject: Re: HMPO Passport enquiries HMPO-823286b63e8a5736b003a6b6059d52a7
Message_ID:
X-TSID:
Dear Mr

Thank you for your email about a letter you have received.

HMPO requires the previous passport to process you applications. I am unsure of why the application center offered the advice that you do not need to supply your previous passport.
In this case, please provide the passport when it is convenient/ feasible for you.

The application will continue once this is received.

Regards,

Customer Service Email Team

I am becoming more and more convinced with each passing day that HMPO is in essence staffed by a bunch of incompetent fools!

30 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Doubt whether you'd get far with them. In responding to a query of mine in which they confirmed that emergency travel documents aren't issued to anyone who doesn't have specific travel plans involving an imminent return to the UK, they offered the following "helpful" suggestion for those in your predicament:-

We would suggest approaching the local immigration to discuss the implications of your passport and visa situation. They may be able to suggest alternatives given the current circumstances.

I am becoming more and more convinced with each passing day that HMPO is in essence staffed by a bunch of incompetent fools!

#65 would likely see this roll downhill far more successfully.

HTH

Whilst I can fully understand and sympathise with the frustration felt by those awaiting their new passport, it needs to be remembered that these are extraordinary times. 

@OJAS,

When renewing a British passport the applicant has to return their old one so it can be cancelled. I stand to be corrected, but am told by people that have done it that for applications outside the UK this is done at the application centre. 

Applicants in Thailand are excepted from this rule because of the law in Thailand requiring foreigners to have their passports available at all times.

Did you explain this in your email? If not, it is hardly surprising that HMPO were unsure why the application centre advised you that your old passport was not required. The staff at Trendy know the reason, it is highly unlikely that anyone at HMPO does. 

Not knowing the minutiae of the law in every country in the world does not make them incompetent fools. 

The British embassy are not responsible for Thai immigration law, regulations and procedures. Their advice to contact Thai immigration seems sound to me. Have you done so? 

Writing to the people suggested by @evadgib may make you feel better. But, with the possible exception of Morgan, they are all concerned with  far more serious issues right now; so don't hold your breath awaiting a response. 

Did you explain this in your email? If not, it is hardly surprising that HMPO were unsure why the application centre advised you that your old passport was not required. The staff at Trendy know the reason, it is highly unlikely that anyone at HMPO does. 

Sorry, I don't accept that. The UK HMPO must receive hundreds of passport renewal requests via VFS Global here in Thailand without the old passport. In Thailand VFS Global are the only vehicle by which you can apply to have your passport renewed. I am pretty sure that if all of those applications were treated the same as my application then we would certainly have seen it on TV.

1 hour ago, ImageDude said:

Sorry, I don't accept that. The UK HMPO must receive hundreds of passport renewal requests via VFS Global here in Thailand without the old passport. In Thailand VFS Global are the only vehicle by which you can apply to have your passport renewed. I am pretty sure that if all of those applications were treated the same as my application then we would certainly have seen it on TV.

Firstly, my apologies to both you and @OJAS for attributing remarks made by you to him.

Secondly, HMPO receive not hundreds but thousands of passport renewal applications via VFS and other contractors worldwide. If my information is correct, and I have no reason to think otherwise, then in normal circumstances the old passport is retained by the application centre, not forwarded to HMPO. Unless, as in Thailand, local law requires otherwise and it is kept by the applicant. So in normal circumstances HMPO would not be expecting the old passport. 

But these are not normal circumstances.

So I ask again, have you explained to HMPO the reason why you are unable to send them your passport? 

8 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Firstly, my apologies to both you and @OJAS for attributing remarks made by you to him.

Secondly, HMPO receive not hundreds but thousands of passport renewal applications via VFS and other contractors worldwide. If my information is correct, and I have no reason to think otherwise, then in normal circumstances the old passport is retained by the application centre, not forwarded to HMPO. Unless, as in Thailand, local law requires otherwise and it is kept by the applicant. So in normal circumstances HMPO would not be expecting the old passport. 

But these are not normal circumstances.

So I ask again, have you explained to HMPO the reason why you are unable to send them your passport? 

I have informed them only since I read your post today, thank you, I wasn't aware of the reason although I suspected that may be the case. My email will be replied to whenever they decide. I also tried to contact them via the UK Gov. website but it is now giving the message that the facility cannot be used because the server is too busy. I am still confused as to why the HMPO don't know about this Thai law because they are constantly handling applications from Thailand via VFS Global, applications which will obviously not contain old passports. So why are they singling out my application which was also submitted to them By VFS Global?

32 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

I have informed them only since I read your post today, thank you, I wasn't aware of the reason although I suspected that may be the case

Please let us know their response, though at the moment it will probably take even longer than usual to receive one. 

If you haven't already done so, you should get the old passport back from your agent. Just as Thais are supposed to carry their i.d. cards at all times, we foreigners are supposed to carry our passports. 

I know usually most of us don't, but at the moment I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. 

44 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

I am still confused as to why the HMPO don't know about this Thai law because they are constantly handling applications from Thailand via VFS Global, applications which will obviously not contain old passports. So why are they singling out my application which was also submitted to them By VFS Global?

VFS Global handle UK passport, and visa, applications worldwide, not just in Thailand. 

48 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

HMPO receive not hundreds but thousands of passport renewal applications via VFS and other contractors worldwide. If my information is correct, and I have no reason to think otherwise, then in normal circumstances the old passport is retained by the application centre, not forwarded to HMPO. Unless, as in Thailand, local law requires otherwise and it is kept by the applicant. So in normal circumstances HMPO would not be expecting the old passport. 

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Not knowing the minutiae of the law in every country in the world does not make them incompetent fools. 

Maybe not but they are the people you're supposed to turn to advice, and indeed they advise this on the Gov.uk website in respect of applications from Thailand, it's hardly a minute detail.

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

5 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Maybe not but they are the people you're supposed to turn to advice, and indeed they advise this on the Gov.uk website in respect of applications from Thailand, it's hardly a minute detail.

If you haven't already done so, you should get the old passport back from your agent. Just as Thais are supposed to carry their i.d. cards at all times, we foreigners are supposed to carry our passports. 

I contacted the agent yesterday and They have posted it to me this morning and sent me the postage receipt by email.

I dont know if it will be of any help to me but I have also sent an email to the UK Embassy in Bangkok asking if they can offer any assistance and am now waiting a reply.

4 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Writing to the people suggested by @evadgib may make you feel better. But, with the possible exception of Morgan, they are all concerned with  far more serious issues right now; so don't hold your breath awaiting a response. 

All complaints are seen by the respective ministers as a matter of course. Whether they pay any attention to them is a different matter but they'll need to if this drags on much longer...

image.jpeg.2e798f4ef765773459d3e98fb75f083b.jpeg

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

HMPO said:

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

Fair enough. But I still think explaining why the passport wasn't included when first contacting HMPO, and referring to the quote on the website if known about, would have saved a lot of bother. 

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

All complaints are seen by the respective ministers as a matter of course. Whether they pay any attention to them is a different matter but they'll need to if this drags on much longer...

Seen by the respective minister and then passed down the line to be answered by a civil servant. 

When I asked the then Immigration Minister why UKVI had started to charge UK visa fees in USD I got an acknowledgement and then it took over three months to get a bunch of worthless waffle in reply. 

We were not in the middle of a pandemic then. 

As for them paying attention; forget it. The vast majority of UK voters don't know about this issue and if they did they wouldn't care. When the reply does eventually arrive, expect the same rubbish I received. 

40 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

When I asked the then Immigration Minister why UKVI had started to charge UK visa fees in USD I got an acknowledgement and then it took over three months to get a bunch of worthless waffle in reply. 

Some years ago I complained after realising that the ol' US$ scam had cost me a further 15 quid in bank charges. The complaint was on the back of the fact that they (FCO/Passports/Hong Kong during the transition) had LOST my passport, which only came to light when the others (family x3 in the same envelope) arrived on time with no trace of mine. As a result of the complaint they were able to trace my passport to BHC HK where it had 'fallen off a shelf' and was still there when they followed the trace!

I was less than impressed at the incompetence but was pleased at the honesty of the person in charge (@ HK regional ppt centre) who had the decency to put his hands up and send a written apology. 

5 hours ago, theoldgit said:

HMPO said:  You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

Do you have a link for that please as I can't find anything on the UK Gov website.

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

Some years ago I complained after realising that the ol' US$ scam had cost me a further 15 quid in bank charges. The complaint was on the back of the fact that they (FCO/Passports/Hong Kong during the transition) had LOST my passport, which only came to light when the others (family x3 in the same envelope) arrived on time with no trace of mine. As a result of the complaint they were able to trace my passport to BHC HK where it had 'fallen off a shelf' and was still there when they followed the trace!

I was less than impressed at the incompetence but was pleased at the honesty of the person in charge (@ HK regional ppt centre) who had the decency to put his hands up and send a written apology. 

Good, but that was a complaint/query over a passport they had lost.

This is a different matter as they haven't lost anything. The problem is a result of the temporary procedures put in place during the emergency. 

I would bet the farm that any complaint about this matter would receive a response along those lines. 

Just as I'm sure the response you got to your complaint about the 15 quid was similar to mine: utter ballocks. 

It looks like I have hit a brick wall. HMPO are not changing their stance on this issue despite being given the reason that the old passport was not submitted with the application.

Sent: 1587550859
Cc:
Subject: Re: HMPO Passport enquiries
Message_ID:
X-TSID:

Dear Mr

Thank you for your response,

I can confirm we will need the old British passport to be send into the office before we can renewal and post your new passport. I do understand this is not the best circumstances at the moment, we will leave your application open until we get your old passport.

Thank you,

Customer Service E-Mail Team

46 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

HMPO said:  You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

Do you have a link for that please as I can't find anything on the UK Gov website.

You'll have to a ghost application, it's on the final page of the process.

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

The link will probably time out and you'll need to start from scratch, this is the page:

Overseas British passport applications

We are currently unable to accept applications from this country. Due to coronavirus (COVID-19), UK visa application centres are closed. We will update this page when the service becomes available.

!WarningIf you need to travel urgently, you may be able to apply for an Emergency Travel Document.

How long it takes

It is taking longer than usual to process applications because of coronavirus (COVID-19).

You may have to attend an interview.

Applications will take longer if:

• HM Passport Office need to ask you for more information or documents
  • the photographs you send are rejected

Don’t book any travel until you have a valid passport. If you need to travel more urgently, you may be able to apply for an Emergency Travel Document.

Cost

You’ll have to pay a fee for your passport and a courier fee of £23.01.

The courier fee pays for your passport to be sent securely to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied for you to collect.

Passport type Passport fee Cost with courier fee
Adult standard 34-page passport £95.50 £118.51
Adult frequent traveller 50-page passport £105.50 £128.51

Fill in a ‘Paying by credit card or debit card’ form for each passport you’re applying for and submit it with your application. Your credit or debit card will be charged in sterling.

You can use Mastercard, Visa, Electron, Diners Club and JCB.

How to apply

• Download the application form.
  • Use the ‘Applying for a passport if you’re outside the UK’ guidance notes to help you fill in the application form.
  • Include 2 identical new photos of you (or your child, if it’s a child passport application). Follow the rules about passport photos or your application may be delayed.
  • Check the guidance notes to find out which supporting documents you must send with your application. You must get documents that aren’t in English - including documents showing an address - fully translated by a professional translator.
!WarningYou must include all your supporting documents with your application. You’ll get 6 weeks to provide any that are missing. Your application will be cancelled and you won’t get a refund if you don’t provide them in time.

Making your application

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

Bring original supporting documents and a colour photocopy of each one. The original documents will be returned to you.

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

UK Visa Application Centre
The Trendy Office Building,
8th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana
Bangkok
Thailand

Email: [email protected]

UK Visa Application Centre
191 Siripanich Building,
6th Floor,
Huay Kaew Road,
Suthep, Mueng
Chiang Mai
Thailand

Email: [email protected]

Getting your passport

Your passport will be delivered to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied.

They will contact you - using the details on your application form - when your passport is ready to collect.

You must collect in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf.

You must bring your existing passport as photo ID.

5 hours ago, ImageDude said:

Click on the following link:-

and then scroll down to the section headed "Making your application" - under which you will find it in the 4th paragraph.

7 hours ago, OJAS said:

Click on the following link:-

and then scroll down to the section headed "Making your application" - under which you will find it in the 4th paragraph.

Thank you. I have forwarded the info to HMPO, but they are not going to change their minds. 

Thank you. I have forwarded the info to HMPO, but they are not going to change their minds. 

Incredible if they don't admit their mistake, it's their rule in the first place.

I would actually copy your email to the British Embassy for their information, the Ambassador recently received a number of communications from British Nationals concerned that Life Certificates, or whatever they call them now, were not reaching the intended receipients and there was a danger that State Pensions would be suspended, a phone call was made and the DWP agreed to suspend these letters for the duration.
Seems there is a former DWP staff member on his team who knew who to call, maybe there is a former HMPO team member on his team who would know who to call, if only to remind the HMPO of their own advice and save HE any unneccassy hassle. 

Personally, I would give up on corresponding direct with HMPO.  If the application was submitted in the proper way via VFS, they must have a record and obviously they know that a copy of the old passport is sufficient.  Once they re-open, hopefully next month, the situation should be resolved (by them).  If not, then VFS will have to speak with HMPO and sort it out.  

32 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Incredible if they don't admit their mistake, it's their rule in the first place.

I would actually copy your email to the British Embassy for their information, the Ambassador recently received a number of communications from British Nationals concerned that Life Certificates, or whatever they call them now, were not reaching the intended receipients and there was a danger that State Pensions would be suspended, a phone call was made and the DWP agreed to suspend these letters for the duration.
Seems there is a former DWP staff member on his team who knew who to call, maybe there is a former HMPO team member on his team who would know who to call, if only to remind the HMPO of their own advice and save HE any unneccassy hassle. 

I already did that yesterday but have not yet received a reply. 

When I first posted about this issue, there were other posters who had passport renewals in at the same time. To them, are you experiencing any difficulties with your application? Or have I been singled out for some reason?

I emailed the information from the UK Gov website about keeping the old passport to HMPO Liverpool this morning. I did not receive the normal automated reply, so maybe they are fed up with hearing from me and blocked my emails!

32 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

I did not receive the normal automated reply, so maybe they are fed up with hearing from me and blocked my emails!

Maybe it is finally dawning on the various thick heads within HMPO that there really is a fundamentally serious issue concerning expats living in Thailand who are in urgent need of new passports at the present time - and they may well be scratching their heads in deciding how to respond meaningfully to our respective complaints in a typically "Yes Minister"-esque face-saving manner!

Archived